BMW 335i/ Valvoline synpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from the local import service center. They perform my 7500 mile oil change between the BMW 15,000 mile oci. They have always used BMW 5-30. Today my invoice had Valvoline Synpower 5-40. Is this ok in the 335i turbo?

To elaborate a bit:

HST 5w-40 carries BMW LL-01 approval. This is the correct approval for the 335i, so if this is what they used, you're fine.

MST 5w-40 carries BMW LL-04 approval. This is a newer spec that is designed to be friendlier to sensitive emissions systems. According to BMW, if you're using gasoline that contains ethanol, you're not supposed to use LL-04 oil; ostensibly, this is because ethanol makes acids accumulate faster in the engine, and LL-04's emissions-friendly tweaks compromise its acid-fighting ability. In practice, this probably just means you have to change your oil sooner.

Definitely find out which version they used, and go from there.
thumbsup2.gif

I think Valvoline MST 5w-40 is okay for 7500 miles OCI, but I feel better/safer with HST 5w-40. I think his "local import service center" probably know which version of 5W40 is for his car.

Thanks all. The service center has been around for over 10 years and does a lot of work on BMW, Volvo, and Mercedes. He said the major reason for the change is that they can get the Synpower in Bulk, keeping costs down for shop and customer. He shared that the BMW dealer is also buying this in bulk as well.
Since I'm already halving the 15k oci, should be ok.
Robert

Originally Posted By: tennisdoc40
Thanks all. The service center has been around for over 10 years and does a lot of work on BMW, Volvo, and Mercedes. He said the major reason for the change is that they can get the Synpower in Bulk, keeping costs down for shop and customer. He shared that the BMW dealer is also buying this in bulk as well.
Since I'm already halving the 15k oci, should be ok.
Robert

IMO...the twin turbo in that car will appreciate the 40w oil inlieu of the 5w-30.

A followup question here, maybe best answered by the BMW guys.
I asked the shop not to reset the oci meter. It started at 21 k after the last change at BMW. It was down to 13k. I checked it today after fueling, and it was back up to 20 k. Did he reset it, or is the new reading based on the oil condition?

I plan on using my stash of SynPower Racing in my turbo VW. Should be good. I'd use the 5w-40 in a snap, especially for that fairly long 7500 miles interval that you plan. I do under 5k.

Use Top Tier fuel to avoid issues.

Did he reset it, or is the new reading based on the oil condition?

Supposedly these new BMW engine detect the oil's condition based on a dielectric sensor.

A followup question here, maybe best answered by the BMW guys.
I asked the shop not to reset the oci meter. It started at 21 k after the last change at BMW. It was down to 13k. I checked it today after fueling, and it was back up to 20 k. Did he reset it, or is the new reading based on the oil condition?

It sounds like they reset it. I've done intermediate oil changes on my current and previous BMW and the oil service indicator did not go up but remained steady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back