big problem with corollas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: VNTS
So how many people really go out and pay money for a car with 270K miles, only a [censored] fool would.

a neighbor sold a 97 toyota rav4 recently with 360k on it for 2 grand. i was about to buy it myself with just some gun trading, but he found a cash buyer who did not try to haggle him down.

in short, your wrong on your outlook on high mileage vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
So how many people really go out and pay money for a car with 270K miles, only a [censored] fool would.

a neighbor sold a 97 toyota rav4 recently with 360k on it for 2 grand. i was about to buy it myself with just some gun trading, but he found a cash buyer who did not try to haggle him down.

Depends on the price. Only a fool would take a hit on new car depreciation, and pay the taxes many free spending states levy on new car owners.

Last edited:
I have seen some digital meters on which the first digit can only be one but then they were saving some money by not having all 8-segment in that digit. Once you have ability to display "2", you are not saving any segments

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Depends on the price. Only a fool would take a hit on new car depreciation, and pay the taxes many free spending states levy on new car owners.

Normally I would agree with you...but it depends...if the new car price was within ~ $2000 of a 3-5 year used car, its more wise to buy new. Such was the case when the economy took a dump in my region in 2008. You couldn't hardly find a used fuel economy car so the used car sellers jacked up the costs so high new was a viable and smart alternative. This isn't the norm though and its not something you can forecast.

To me fixing the 299,999 would be as easy as a CPU flash being a digital odo, but there must be some hard-coding that makes that not viable ... or something.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Is he talking about a digital or analogue odo? If it's analogue, I'm guessing Toyota only makes the hundreds of thousands of miles wheel go to 2. Maybe it makes the whole assembly cheaper and/or more reliable?

Also, does it just stop dead at 299,999, or does it roll over to 0? If it rolls over, no big deal! There will be a record of the mileage, so you just take the current odor reading and add 300,000.

Digital. It just stops at 299,999 and does not go any further.

lol.gif
While not critical, this is a really stupid problem to have IMO.

I would have kept my $300.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Normally I would agree with you...but it depends...if the new car price was within ~ $2000 of a 3-5 year used car, its more wise to buy new. Such was the case when the economy took a dump in my region in 2008. You couldn't hardly find a used fuel economy car so the used car sellers jacked up the costs so high new was a viable and smart alternative. This isn't the norm though and its not something you can forecast.

+1. Only a fool would paint such a broad picture without even putting numbers down. We have in other threads and the broad statement is inaccurate at best, especially if looked at per mile.

no I am not, most of them become money pits and in my area they are rot buckets, you just dont see people beating down the path to buy 15 yr old car with that many miles, there is no market for them. The economics do not work, have one minor repair is worth more than the car and a car 270K miles is a tciking time bomb, if what you said was true used car lots would be full of high mileage cars. I go to the local junk (scraps 4500 cars a year)every other weekend, my freind works there, very few cars come in with greater than 200K and all that do come in with 150K or more are junk! anything with 200K is a rot bucket!

VNTS, you are making incorrect generalizations about all cars - The first generalization is that any car with over 200k is a money pit. Let's take a look at that:

Say I go out and buy a new corolla and finance it for 5 years - I'm going to put maybe a thousand dollars down and spend about $275 a month on the car. The first year I spent $4300 and each of the next four years I spent $3300. Even if I trade in my 200k mile corolla, I'm still looking at a minimum of $225 a month, or $2700 a year.

On the other hand, lets say I keep my 200k mile corolla, which is already paid off, and it now requires an average of $1500 a year in maintenance.

Which of the two cars is the bigger money pit?

To take that one step further, consider this: my GF's 2001 Grand Am, at 180,000 miles, has lived its whole life in the midwest. She paid $2000 cash for the car 4 years ago. IMO, the car has been abused. The cooling system is a giant ball of sludge. As far as I can tell, the spark plugs and wires are the originals that came in the car from the factory. It gets washed about four times a year. The car only gets about $100 a year in maintenance, plus about $125 a year in tires (if averaged out over the last 4 years). Oil changes are the only preventative maintenance performed. Against all odds, the car keeps going. You think it would be cheaper for her to buy a new car?

The second generalization is that all cars are rotting away at 200k miles. While that may be true of a lot of cars in NE and perhaps the midwest, you aren't considering cars that are driven their whole lives in more moderate climates. Sure, salt tends to kill old cars, but there are a lot of cars in the south with 200k+ miles that have never once seen salt, and don't have a spot of rust.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Good to know.

a car 270K miles is a tciking time bomb
Except for the Bust My Wallet, you own several that are NOT time bombs at 270. I have a Camry in the "fleet" with that much, still got the factory rear brakes, among other things.

no I am not, most of them become money pits and in my area they are rot buckets, you just dont see people beating down the path to buy 15 yr old car with that many miles, there is no market for them. The economics do not work, have one minor repair is worth more than the car and a car 270K miles is a tciking time bomb, if what you said was true used car lots would be full of high mileage cars. I go to the local junk (scraps 4500 cars a year)every other weekend, my freind works there, very few cars come in with greater than 200K and all that do come in with 150K or more are junk! anything with 200K is a rot bucket!

Craigs List is FULL of older cars changing hands quickly. Bikes as well.

I my area any Corrolla with that mileage is generally a rot bucket, most that come into the local yard mostly have 100-150K on me and they are in pretty sad shape.

Mine has close to 290,000 miles and is in very good shape. Hardly a "rot bucket" (and we salt like there is no tomorrow since we have a GREAT (as in Great Salt Lake) source for salt a few miles away) and mine see its share for hours at a time.

I need to clean mine but its in very good shape incl any body rust. My rock chips have more rust than the rest of the body and they just started... A quick detail will fix those.

The cost so far to get to the higher mileage has been very low. I've been lucky to pretty well only change the oil, plugs, coolant, transmission oil and one set of tires(though I do also run snows in the winter).

Still on the factory brakes!

I'd hop in it and take off for anywhere without concern. I just got back from almost 2000 miles from Utah to Montana and it did great.

Plenty of people with cash are in the market for reliable high mileage vehicles like the Civic and Corollas (and others).

Take care, Bill

I my area any Corrolla with that mileage is generally a rot bucket, most that come into the local yard mostly have 100-150K on me and they are in pretty sad shape.

I bought a hybrid car with 270k on it last year. It's paid for itself by now in terms of the gas savings vs my previous platform. I'm driving it now pretty much for free, with fuel economy that outstrips any car available on the market today save for the electric plug-ins.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

I bought a hybrid car with 270k on it last year. It's paid for itself by now in terms of the gas savings vs my previous platform. I'm driving it now pretty much for free, with fuel economy that outstrips any car available on the market today save for the electric plug-ins.

If that hybrid car is a 2nd gen prius, it has the same 299,999 mile limitation: http://priuschat.com/threads/odometer-limited-to-299-999-miles.67859/

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

If that hybrid car is a 2nd gen prius, it has the same 299,999 mile limitation: http://priuschat.com/threads/odometer-limited-to-299-999-miles.67859/
mine is a 1st gen Insight, no such limitation known!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: kschachn
"NOT HAPPY"?? Sheesh.

I mean, "slightly inconvenienced" or "mildly annoyed" maybe. But beyond that the guy has got to get a grip.

Too have to pay $300 on an otherwise functional gauge cluster in a car with that mileage that is worth next to nothing is indeed worthy of making people unhappy.

Wait...$5000 is "next to nothing"? Dude, send me a check for half of that, please!

I my area any Corolla with that mileage is generally a rot bucket, most that come into the local yard mostly have 100-150K on me and they are in pretty sad shape.

Again: it's NOT always miles! A Canadian car will have 185,000 miles when it stops, and that is NOT unusual today! (My Jeep has 196K.) If I had a Corolla with a solid body and 300K, I suspect I could sell it in a week!

My friend bought a Subaru Impreza Outback with 280,000+ miles...while he was going over it, the seller got three phone calls on it.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I have seen some digital meters on which the first digit can only be one but then they were saving some money by not having all 8-segment in that digit. Once you have ability to display "2", you are not saving any segments

Well, you are...but even then, you can still display "3", though not '4". See: early-90's Ford trucks...the first digit has the left upper segment missing, with all segments lit, it looks like a backward "6". Those don't stop; they go from 399,999.9 back to 300,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back