big problem with corollas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw this complaint on TrueDelta.com

Quote:
The problem is with TOYOTA! Odmeters on these cars STOP at 299,000 km's and Toyota will not replace. They made me pay for the new odometer myself. NOT HAPPY. Obviously it had to be replaced to have some sort of record of my car.

This guy shelled $300 for replacement and it was his only problem during ownership, besides replaced brakes.

Looks like planned obsolescence to me LOL.

I had one go 213,000 miles so I know the odometer's don't stop automatically. Guy is pretty far out of warranty to expect a free fix.

It makes you wonder how that guy got his Toyota to 1 million miles and didn't notice this.

Doing some googling, the same issue affects some Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, as well as some Prius cars.

In the cars that display miles, it stops at 299,999 miles though, not km, so you have a longer way to go before you hit the brick wall.

Very strange though. Sounds like a bug in programming, but maybe they don't have a way to upload a firmware update to correct it, or maybe it would be considered "tampering with odometer" so they just replace it altogether.

"NOT HAPPY"?? Sheesh.

I mean, "slightly inconvenienced" or "mildly annoyed" maybe. But beyond that the guy has got to get a grip.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I just saw this complaint on TrueDelta.com

Quote:
The problem is with TOYOTA! Odmeters on these cars STOP at 299,000 km's and Toyota will not replace. They made me pay for the new odometer myself. NOT HAPPY. Obviously it had to be replaced to have some sort of record of my car.

This guy shelled $300 for replacement and it was his only problem during ownership, besides replaced brakes.

Looks like planned obsolescence to me LOL.

Do some states require a working odometer to pass an annual inspection? If you keep coming back year after year with the same number of miles on the odo, you might fail.

But a one time $300 repair doesn't sound ludicrous if the car is otherwise serving you well and you plan to keep it for another 300K miles.

I do think I'd prefer if Toyota good-willed a new cluster. There's clearly a design problem. It's not as if wear-and-tear causes the cluster to stop working. It's patently a programming error on Toyota's part and for the *relatively* few cars that survive accidents/rust/neglect/abuse to reach 300,000 miles or kilometers, I think Toyota has more to lose by turning their backs on these folks than simply giving them new clusters.

Is he talking about a digital or analogue odo? If it's analogue, I'm guessing Toyota only makes the hundreds of thousands of miles wheel go to 2. Maybe it makes the whole assembly cheaper and/or more reliable?

Also, does it just stop dead at 299,999, or does it roll over to 0? If it rolls over, no big deal! There will be a record of the mileage, so you just take the current odor reading and add 300,000.

But being overly upset about Toyota not replacing it for free is ludicrous. Should I have expected Chevy to pay for the replacement of my rear main seal that started leaking at 120k miles?

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Is he talking about a digital or analogue odo? If it's analogue, I'm guessing Toyota only makes the hundreds of thousands of miles wheel go to 2. Maybe it makes the whole assembly cheaper and/or more reliable?

Also, does it just stop dead at 299,999, or does it roll over to 0? If it rolls over, no big deal! There will be a record of the mileage, so you just take the current odor reading and add 300,000.

Digital. It just stops at 299,999 and does not go any further.

That is a small problem with Corollas.
They have bigger problems..
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
That is a small problem with Corollas.
They have bigger problems..
laugh.gif

the big part was tongue in cheek of course.

Exactly right. I would be under the notion some of those who took their Corolla that far would want to have proof as you stated and in addition to continuing on beyond 300k miles. I know I would. Plus, that sticking odo would make measuring your gas mileage difficult if you dont have a separate trip computer.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I sure would be annoyed, not by the fact that I had to spend $300 for the new odometer, but by the fact that I had to get a new odometer that would start at 0. If I hit 300k I want to have an odo to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back