big problem with corollas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any money he spent on a cluster he will more than make back when he sells it or trades it in… Of course there are other ways to tell but most dealers and private parties look only at the odometer. An unscrupulous person might take advantage of that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Do some states require a working odometer to pass an annual inspection? If you keep coming back year after year with the same number of miles on the odo, you might fail.

But a one time $300 repair doesn't sound ludicrous if the car is otherwise serving you well and you plan to keep it for another 300K miles.

Except for finding that your once-quiet car is now a squeak-box after having the dash disassembled for replacement!

90's Ford trucks and vans did something weird: at 399,999.9 miles, they then reset to 300,000. They kept working, but the highest possible reading is 399,999.9.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I do think I'd prefer if Toyota good-willed a new cluster. There's clearly a design problem. It's not as if wear-and-tear causes the cluster to stop working. It's patently a programming error on Toyota's part and for the *relatively* few cars that survive accidents/rust/neglect/abuse to reach 300,000 miles or kilometers, I think Toyota has more to lose by turning their backs on these folks than simply giving them new clusters.

300,000km is only about 185,000 miles. Honestly, I don't see that as being uncommon on a modern car! (My Jeep has more than that, so does my stepfather's Concorde.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Except for finding that your once-quiet car is now a squeak-box after having the dash disassembled for replacement!

I highly doubt that any car with 300K on the clock would be particularly quiet at that point.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I highly doubt that any car with 300K on the clock would be particularly quiet at that point.
smile.gif

My uncle's RX300 with 380k miles is still very quiet, no rattles and all exhaust is original.

My ranger was quiet at 413k miles when sold...That ranger outlasted 2 2.7 Tacos.. The 99' PSD had a VERY VEERY minor squeak from the rear seat when going 60mph down a beat up non maintained gravel road.. that was it.
Gravel road a Toyo or Honda for a couple hundred thousand miles like that and I doubt the doors will even shut properly.. or the dash will rattle like it's going to fall in your lap.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I do think I'd prefer if Toyota good-willed a new cluster. There's clearly a design problem. It's not as if wear-and-tear causes the cluster to stop working. It's patently a programming error on Toyota's part and for the *relatively* few cars that survive accidents/rust/neglect/abuse to reach 300,000 miles or kilometers, I think Toyota has more to lose by turning their backs on these folks than simply giving them new clusters.

300,000km is only about 185,000 miles. Honestly, I don't see that as being uncommon on a modern car! (My Jeep has more than that, so does my stepfather's Concorde.)

Around here that kind of mileage is very routine. I'm very disappointed when I don't get to at least 200-250k miles without a major repair.

And I think it is ludicrous to imagine that Toyota has any liability here.

I agree that Toyota would have no liability in this but, come on, their mantra has always been that they have the longest lasting cars (but their odo's can't go over 300K.)

What would severely chafe me about this would be (for example) if I were a Corolla owner and put say 350K on my car and went in to trade it. It would become an "actual miles unknown" situation and probably would negatively impact what resale that I would have in the vehicle.

The problem with this really is not the $300 cost to replace, but the fact that the Odo will never show the true mileage of the car again. Seriously, how much more would it have really cost to have designed an odo that could accurately record the mileage to 999999.9 ? I think that it would be in the best interest of Toyota to find a fix for this and goodwill it to the owners but I doubt that will happen.

You're missing the point. All of you.

Toyota wants the owner to come in and buy a new Corolla. Not a gauge cluster.

Originally Posted By: css9450

Exactly. And also, a person who keeps their car for 300K + miles may not be exactly the type of target market that a car manufacturer is looking for, so why should they try to please them with a new instrument cluster?

Fully get that point but why would any intelligent, rational thinking consumer want to buy another Corolla after Toyota bent them over on a gauge cluster.

Around here, I see many more new Kia's and Honda's than I do new Toyotas and Toyota has to advertise ad nauseum and put heavy incentives on what they do move. Think that the glitz on the marquee has worn off.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Fully get that point but why would any intelligent, rational thinking consumer want to buy another Corolla after Toyota bent them over on a gauge cluster.

LOL Good point!

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
My ranger was quiet at 413k miles when sold...That ranger outlasted 2 2.7 Tacos.. The 99' PSD had a VERY VEERY minor squeak from the rear seat when going 60mph down a beat up non maintained gravel road.. that was it.
Gravel road a Toyo or Honda for a couple hundred thousand miles like that and I doubt the doors will even shut properly.. or the dash will rattle like it's going to fall in your lap.

chances are if you owned a toyota and maintained it as well as your ranger, it probably would of lasted
as long or longer than your ranger.not only that but saying your ranger lasted that long doesnt mean anything. how much did you spend to maintain it? how much in repairs. most ppl dont keep their vehicles past the time it has a repair that costs more than vehicles value

Around here, I see many more new Kia's and Honda's than I do new Toyotas and Toyota has to advertise ad nauseum and put heavy incentives on what they do move. Think that the glitz on the marquee has worn off.

After doing close to 290,000 miles with little maintenance to none, $300 for a new speedo (though I'd buy a used one and it looks like I'm going to) is a drop in the bucket compared to another vehicles and their cost to get to 300,000+ miles.

While I'm NOT in the market to replace my current Corolla with a new one (don't like the 2009+ ones) I'd buy another Toyota in a second IF I was in the market for a vehicle that Toyota built and I liked.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

After doing close to 290,000 miles with little maintenance to none, $300 for a new speedo (though I'd buy a used one and it looks like I'm going to) is a drop in the bucket compared to another vehicles and their cost to get to 300,000+ miles.

While I'm NOT in the market to replace my current Corolla with a new one (don't like the 2009+ ones) I'd buy another Toyota in a second IF I was in the market for a vehicle that Toyota built and I liked.

Bill

I couldnt agree with you more. i dont like the new corollas. id go for a camry or highlander hybrid. i have a ways to go in my rolla before i buy something new!!

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I just saw this complaint on TrueDelta.com

Quote:
The problem is with TOYOTA! Odmeters on these cars STOP at 299,000 km's and Toyota will not replace. They made me pay for the new odometer myself. NOT HAPPY. Obviously it had to be replaced to have some sort of record of my car.

This guy shelled $300 for replacement and it was his only problem during ownership, besides replaced brakes.

Looks like planned obsolescence to me LOL.

If you really think about it the guy is just trolling...
Trolling.gif

Yeah they are just number 1 in sales worldwide.
crackmeup2.gif

The "glitz" has worn off
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I also own one of these Corolla's (2003), and this issue is of no concern to me. Ours only has 116,500 miles but has been rock solid with minimal maintenance. Love that little car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back