big problem with corollas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: css9450
You're missing the point. All of you.

Toyota wants the owner to come in and buy a new Corolla. Not a gauge cluster.

Exactly. And also, a person who keeps their car for 300K + miles may not be exactly the type of target market that a car manufacturer is looking for, so why should they try to please them with a new instrument cluster?

These days you'd be suprised how many people are putting 300K+ on their vehicles...

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
It isn't a problem if one sells it before it hits 299,999.9 miles

It is if you're in Canada and put more than 185,000 miles on it!

Although it shouldn't be this way, the number of those cars that will see a new owner or trade to a dealer is fairly unlikely around that kind of mileage. most owners that are in that mileage area are NOT going to sell, so honestly it causes no issues for the owner. At 185k (300k kms) what is the value of that car anyhow? Not much.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Although it shouldn't be this way, the number of those cars that will see a new owner or trade to a dealer is fairly unlikely around that kind of mileage. most owners that are in that mileage area are NOT going to sell, so honestly it causes no issues for the owner. At 185k (300k kms) what is the value of that car anyhow? Not much.

Book on a 2005 CE with nothing but power door locks (5 sp manual) is a little under $5,000 with 270,000 miles on it. I've been offered more when it had that much.

They hold their value quite well and now with the current economy and cost of new vehicles, lack of people being able to afford something new you'd be surprised how well cars like Corollas, Civics and such do in the market.

Just ran mine on KBB and excellent is $4668, V good is $4318 and fair is $3668. With 288,000 miles on it.

Same car with 185,000 miles is just a couple hundred more.

Edmunds has it around $3400 private party and $4200 for dealer. If it was outstanding it would be $400 more.

Nada?

Code:
Rough Average Clean Clean

trade in retail

Base Price $4,425 $5,325 $6,050 $8,275

Mileage (288,000) -$1,725 -$1,725 -$1,725 -$1,725

Options: (edit options)

W/out Auto. Trans. -$400 -$400 -$400 -$400

Power Door Locks $100 $100 $100 $125

Cruise Control $100 $100 $100 $125

TOTAL PRICE: $2,500 $3,400 $4,125 $6,400

Not bad for a vehicle that is 9 model years old, had 288,000 miles and cost new around $14,000 out the door.

Certainly worth $300 for a new speedo and a sticker.

I've seen new cars loose that as much as mine in 9 years in 9 minutes once its leaves the dealership lot.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Book on a 2005 CE with nothing but power door locks (5 sp manual) is a little under $5,000 with 270,000 miles on it. I've been offered more when it had that much.

They hold their value quite well and now with the current economy and cost of new vehicles, lack of people being able to afford something new you'd be surprised how well cars like Corollas, Civics and such do in the market.

Just ran mine on KBB and excellent is $4668, V good is $4318 and fair is $3668. With 288,000 miles on it.

Same car with 185,000 miles is just a couple hundred more.

Edmunds has it around $3400 private party and $4200 for dealer. If it was outstanding it would be $400 more.

Nada?

Code:
Rough Average Clean Clean

trade in retail

Base Price $4,425 $5,325 $6,050 $8,275

Mileage (288,000) -$1,725 -$1,725 -$1,725 -$1,725

Options: (edit options)

W/out Auto. Trans. -$400 -$400 -$400 -$400

Power Door Locks $100 $100 $100 $125

Cruise Control $100 $100 $100 $125

TOTAL PRICE: $2,500 $3,400 $4,125 $6,400

Not bad for a vehicle that is 9 model years old, had 288,000 miles and cost new around $14,000 out the door.

Certainly worth $300 for a new speedo and a sticker.

I've seen new cars loose that as much as mine in 9 years in 9 minutes once its leaves the dealership lot.

Bill

I have a 2012 Corolla with 9,000 miles on it, but I still owe $10,600 on it. I hope my resale value holds like that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: css9450
You're missing the point. All of you.

Toyota wants the owner to come in and buy a new Corolla. Not a gauge cluster.

Exactly. And also, a person who keeps their car for 300K + miles may not be exactly the type of target market that a car manufacturer is looking for, so why should they try to please them with a new instrument cluster?

Very true both of you. They want the guy who leases for 36 months and brings it back with 30,000 miles on it and leases another.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
"NOT HAPPY"?? Sheesh.

I mean, "slightly inconvenienced" or "mildly annoyed" maybe. But beyond that the guy has got to get a grip.

Too have to pay $300 on an otherwise functional gauge cluster in a car with that mileage that is worth next to nothing is indeed worthy of making people unhappy.

The problem affects my Pontiac Vibe. One can get a used cluster on E-bay for $75 or less - the issue is way overblown. If only my previous Saturn S-Series had such a minor problem.

In my state it is an inspection fail to have an odometer that stops. Toyota should goodwill this for smaller subset of folks who go that far.

I would be quite angry to drive so a boring appliance car and then have to spend money on such a thing like this. My brother in law has this same generation and even with the manual transmission its just not fun to drive. The only thing he likes about the car is MPG and also it does not seem to break down much.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Toyota should goodwill this for smaller subset of folks who go that far.

Absolutely. It's ridiculous that they would make an odometer that stops at 299k.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Toyota should goodwill this for smaller subset of folks who go that far.

Absolutely. It's ridiculous that they would make an odometer that stops at 299k.

It's my understanding that car lifetime is defined as 150,000 miles. Toyota must have thought 2x lifetime is good enough for a cheap car. Too bad Canadians are screwed with 299,999 km. I don't know it this applies to Japan/Asia/Europe.

Edit: LOL, it's not just Toyota! Look at 1:15 here:

or this:

Last edited:
Got a Toyota with an analog odo and more than 305,000 miles on the clock, still turns perfectly...

So how many people really go out and pay money for a car with 270K miles, only a [censored] fool would.

I my area any Corrolla with that mileage is generally a rot bucket, most that come into the local yard mostly have 100-150K on me and they are in pretty sad shape.

Definitely would not call it a big problem. Once a car hits that type of mileage these problems don't impact the value much. I move junk on top of my CRVs roof all the time. People will ask if I want something to protect the roof and I kinda laugh. Yup, a couple of scratches on the roof will really change what my 13 year old car with 174,000 miles on it is worth.

ref

I'm going to go buy another POS 1983 Oldsmobile 98 Regurgitate and demand that GM fix the odometer because it sets back to 0 at 100,000 miles!

Or a '99-'03 Ford because the odometer just plain doesn't work.

It seems like a really bizarre and arbitrary limit.

If it were limited to the number of digits available like 999,999 than it would make sense. Same thing if it was a power of 2, indicating some kind of memory limit.

A limit of 300,000 km (186,000 miles) just seems low for a 6-digit odometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back