Best oil for the fleet of turo/getaround/uber vehicles

Hello and good evening.
I am looking at a reasonably way to cut costs in terms of oil purchases, I oversee a fleet of vehicles for the use of vehicle leasing/renting.. What have you; they have a vehicle based on the customer's needs. We're currently running 5k intervals on the oil, if the rental is extended we're between 7500-13k on the oil as he doesn't want to burden the renter with the maintenance costs or having them take it to a quicklube center (hes stopped that due to the number of issues he had in the past) However, we had a discussion about reducing the cost or finding a better way to make AMSOIL worth it's weight. I am open to suggestions based on the vehicles listed

There's 74 vehicles, with a mixture of pickup trucks, suv's compact cars and we're spending $900-1200.00 every 2-1/2, 3 months on just motor oil alone with AMSOIL
Various numbers of Chevrolet impala's, malibu's, Dodge caravan's/town and country, Ford F150, fiesta, fusion, Nissan Note, versa, sentra, Toyota RAV, Camry, PRIUS, YARIS. between the years of 2012-2021.

Besides doing countless oil analysis to generate a forecast, being 20 of them vehicles being city driven, are hours the best to factor in for the cause of changing out oil? I know these vehicles are being driven in the utmost of severe service. Key in and floor it type of scenario.

We currently use AC Delco, Hengst and Baldwin(also known as Hastings) for oil filters, Air filters are Denso for almost all applications.

Common oil grades as listed are 0w16,0w20,5w20,5w30
I have a few other oils in mind
HavolinePRO-DS Full Synthetic Motor Oil (6qt tote 23.99 at wally)
Pennzoil full synthetic (black label) 5qt jug $26.47 wally
MAG1 FMX (5qt jug for 38.98 on zoro)
Valvoline Advanced synthetic. (the silver label) ([email protected] at menards)
Supertech 20k (5qt)25.99)
Costco kirkland synthetic (5qt at 18.99)

We currently also use AMSOIL OE LV ATF (3 vehicles with Maxlife ATF) for all transmissions calling WS, Dexron VI, Mercon LV.
AMSOIL CVT for the toyota transmissions specc'ing for FE or honda HCF-2, NISSIAN HCF2/HCF3

Valvoline and MAG1 come to mind, however, if there's other brands I am unaware of, I am looking for suggestions.

I've attached the blackstone labs of the 2013 Chevrolet Impala PI trim, amsoil ss, as a reference. Also doing some digging on youtube, a lot of other mechanics seem to be opposed to the extended drain interval, the owner is okay with extending drain intervals wherever possible, we're changing the oil out at 5k with the likely of them being stretched out to 7.5k-9k(typical, it happens)

At the end of the day, if we can find a reasonably performing fluid based on these facts, what would be the cost effective solution? Screenshot 2023-04-24 215034.jpg

Honestly, if I were you, I'd have a chat with David at @High Performance Lubricants and get his opinion. Whether or not purchasing/using HPL oil makes sense for what you're trying to do, there are few out there who have the experience HPL does with fleet servicing and support. This is a tough one because you have so many different applications- DI, MPI, V8s and 4 bangers, etc all doing different things. You need some feedback from someone who knows what they're doing and that's the folks at HPL. David posts here under the @High Performance Lubricants username, so maybe he'll check this thread or you could send him an IM. He's a busy guy, but no one on here is more qualified to give you an opinion than he is.

In warranty or not? If not, I would pick a suitable 5W30 and run it across the board. He's not the one paying for the fuel, so an extra MPG won't matter and it will let you possibly buy one oil at a greater discount.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd have a chat with David at @High Performance Lubricants and get his opinion. Whether or not purchasing/using HPL oil makes sense for what you're trying to do, there are few out there who have the experience HPL does with fleet servicing and support. This is a tough one because you have so many different applications- DI, MPI, V8s and 4 bangers, etc all doing different things. You need some feedback from someone who knows what they're doing and that's the folks at HPL. David posts here under the @High Performance Lubricants username, so maybe he'll check this thread or you could send him an IM. He's a busy guy, but no one on here is more qualified to give you an opinion than he is.
Yeah, i've forgotten to mention some of the Hyundai vehicles we have that use GDI. This is a very touchy subject as it's very hard to mitigate the use of different grades. IT is a headache for sure.

Is it possible to drop say 0w-16 from the list and run 0w-20 instead?
With 5k mi OCIs any synth oil should hold up well. Buy by a drum if you're going thru so much oil.

In warranty or not? If not, I would pick a suitable 5W30 and run it across the board. He's not the one paying for the fuel, so an extra MPG won't matter and it will let you possibly buy one oil at a greater discount.

Most vehicles are approaching the end of the warranty period and I am thinking of mentioning it to him to run that across the board. ALL hyundai/kia vehicles, chevrolet trax, impala using the turbo I automatically put 5w30 in those. GM recommends to use 0w20 in the 2020 1.5L Turbo malibu (5w30 in the 2016) There's just too many moving parts here in terms of brands and fuel delivery.

check with your local havoline oil dealer (chevron),on the pro-ds line of lubricants in bulk,very good products,and has all the api ,etc approvals,for filters any parts house,wix,purolator (pure one),will work fine

Is that your private business?
I have fleet of vehicles in Europe as delivery vehicles. That is a business my brother and I run.
In the beginning, we have various vehicles and manufacturers, but eventually, we settled for VW/Skoda with some MB Sprinter vehicles.
Until a few years back, they were ALL diesel and ran oils that could be used in VW/Skoda and MB (VW504/507.00 and MB229.51).
Now we had a lot of them running LNG but oils stayed the same, ESSO. We made a deal with a regional ESSO supplier and strictly run that.

So, my thinking is to unify your fleet like Toyota, or Hyundai etc. That will not only lower oil costs but maintenance costs.
IMO, I would go Mobil1 or try to find a supplier that would give you a favorable price, but IMO MUST be high-quality synthetic oil.
People will run those vehicles hard, without regard for cold engines etc. Going with thicker oil might not be the best idea. If 0W16 ios recommended, I would go with that, although I am the guy who will never put that in my personal vehicle.

Is that your private business?
I have fleet of vehicles in Europe as delivery vehicles. That is a business my brother and I run.
In the beginning, we have various vehicles and manufacturers, but eventually, we settled for VW/Skoda with some MB Sprinter vehicles.
Until a few years back, they were ALL diesel and ran oils that could be used in VW/Skoda and MB (VW504/507.00 and MB229.51).
Now we had a lot of them running LNG but oils stayed the same, ESSO. We made a deal with a regional ESSO supplier and strictly run that.

So, my thinking is to unify your fleet like Toyota, or Hyundai etc. That will not only lower oil costs but maintenance costs.
IMO, I would go Mobil1 or try to find a supplier that would give you a favorable price, but IMO MUST be high-quality synthetic oil.
People will run those vehicles hard, without regard for cold engines etc. Going with thicker oil might not be the best idea. If 0W16 ios recommended, I would go with that, although I am the guy who will never put that in my personal vehicle.

as for the 0W16 engines, the D4S injected based toyota engine, IT is specc'd to use 15-40 in your country which is shockingly surprising to me. same thing with the corolla with the 2ZR calling for the 5w20 in 2006 spec is now calling for 0w16 or 0w20 (must change to 0w-16 next oil change) in 2018 til now... bearing clearances hadn't changed.

as for the 0W16 engines, the D4S injected based toyota engine, IT is specc'd to use 15-40 in your country which is shockingly surprising to me. same thing with the corolla with the 2ZR calling for the 5w20 in 2006 spec is now calling for 0w16 or 0w20 (must change to 0w-16 next oil change) in 2018 til now... bearing clearances hadn't changed.
I am very well aware of all that, but considering most people who rent these cars are going to nail it when dead cold, lighter oil is IMO better. Or go 0W20.
But, I would pay more attention on what kind of oil. I wouldn’t necessarily go for lowest price.

Facts on this matter. I've seen the renter in the YARIS mash that pedal down to the floor as soon as they got in it.

You will definitely not get a consensus on this. I suspect the 0W-16 vehicles are Toyotas and they're the outliers. Do you know what viscosity they spec in other countries, as in what oils are 100% acceptable to Toyota elsewhere ? I wouldn't go lower, but going up a step shouldn't be an issue (5W-30 is the one I'm thinking).

My vote goes to one of these across the entire fleet at 10k OCIs. Either of these will provide savings, compared to current expenses on AMSOIL.
- Mobil 1 FS 0W-40/5W-40
- Synthetic HDEO 10W-30/15W-40

Just as an aside, I hope this outfit isn't throwing their vehicles on Hyrecar. That place is loaded with criminals and people who abuse the cars. I buy vehicles for a lot of rideshare companies around the country, and as someone who knows how they operate my first piece of advice is to always avoid partnering with them.

I can share a lot of details about the right oil and OCI practices. Just to clarify before I say anything. Does the company you work for operate in warmer climates such as Atlanta or Dallas? Or do they mainly have their inventory in another area of the country?

Climate and the driving regimen are really important to what's recommended. So feel free to let me know.

I’d reach out to a local lubricant supplier and get pricing. With all the different weights you require you may find that the 6 gallon boxes of oil in various weights may be your best option.

You should be able to find a Dexos rated oil (for the GMs) but I would try and find an oil that meets the minimum spec for your fleet. You didn’t mention any BMWs or VWs so I don’t think you need anything with an exotic spec - looks like an API SP Dexos oil as a minimum would fit the bill. For simplicity it’s easiest to just carry different weights and not fuss with different brands of oil for the GMs.

I’d price out 6 gallon boxes vs. drums. Maybe it would make sense to have the most common weight you use in a 55gal drum but the rest in 6 gal boxes. I’d reach out to a local lubricant dealer and tell them your needs and let them make recommendations on what best suits you. The more you buy in bulk the lower the price likely is.

13k miles is a long time for an OCI. Can you not visit the renter during a convenient time for them and do an oil change on site, or bring it somewhere? It shouldn’t be too bad to bring a jug of oil, filters, a few tools and a Jack and stands.

Last edited:
OP -

What do you mean by "best oil for the fleet"?

First, is COST the most important factor? Is cost the determining factor of "best'? If so, you're going to have a massive task of analyzing your ROIs for each vehicle. And within that topic, you're going to have to assess the risks of downtime, warranty, etc. This is a HUGE undertaking to maximize your ROI ... you're going to be into the topic of OCI extension, UOAs, PCs, etc ... topics which cannot be faithfully discussed in full in one single thread here.

Past the "cost" factor, you're next into selection of oil brand and grade(s). What does "best" mean here?
- one oil brand (with a mix of varying grades for the applications)
This would be fairly easy to find; shop around for local suppliers and see

- one oil grade (with a mix of varying brands)
This is easy to find, but does not necessarily make sense as your applications have a very broad range of requirements and one oil grade won't satisfy them all.

- one oil grade and brand (a single oil for the entire fleet)
This is a unicorn you're unlikely to achieve. If you insist on sticking to one grade within one brand AND satisfying the vehicle spec requirements, then you're unable to get there with this approach. If you are willing to ignore the "specs", then the options open up a tad.

Further, if you're looking to "max" the ROI, you'll have to apply the same efforts to the other lubes (tranny fluids, diff fluids, xfer case fluids ...). Plus, as you don't own these, I assume the net resale value is of no consequence??? Or are there concerns there also? Because if the net resale isn't in play, you can choose lubes that may leave residual concerns down the road ... It becomes someone else's problem.

The reality is that YOU need to define what means "best" to you, in terms of your prioritization of all these inputs. There is no one-size-fits-all magic lube that will get you there. I highly recommend you sit down and make a true "ranking" sheet where all the considerations are put onto paper, then you order them in terms of priority values (1, 2, 3 ...) and do a matrix assessment. You're NEVER going to get all things to be "best" across the board; there's going to be compromise somewhere. And that's OK, as long as you realize this fact. Nothing wrong not having something be "good enough" and not "best".

Welcome to the world of fleet maintenance ! It's not all sunshine and roses.

Last edited:
Just as an aside, I hope this outfit isn't throwing their vehicles on Hyrecar. That place is loaded with criminals and people who abuse the cars. I buy vehicles for a lot of rideshare companies around the country, and as someone who knows how they operate my first piece of advice is to always avoid partnering with them.

I can share a lot of details about the right oil and OCI practices. Just to clarify before I say anything. Does the company you work for operate in warmer climates such as Atlanta or Dallas? Or do they mainly have their inventory in another area of the country?

Climate and the driving regimen are really important to what's recommended. So feel free to let me know.
We're based out of Chicago

OP -

What do you mean by "best oil for the fleet"?

First, is COST the most important factor? Is cost the determining factor of "best'? If so, you're going to have a massive task of analyzing your ROIs for each vehicle. And within that topic, you're going to have to assess the risks of downtime, warranty, etc. This is a HUGE undertaking to maximize your ROI ... you're going to be into the topic of OCI extension, UOAs, PCs, etc ... topics which cannot be faithfully discussed in full in one single thread here.

Past the "cost" factor, you're next into selection of oil brand and grade(s). What does "best" mean here?
- one oil brand (with a mix of varying grades for the applications)
This would be fairly easy to find; shop around for local suppliers and see

- one oil grade (with a mix of varying brands)
This is easy to find, but does not necessarily make sense as your applications have a very broad range of requirements and one oil grade won't satisfy them all.

- one oil grade and brand (a single oil for the entire fleet)
This is a unicorn you're unlikely to achieve. If you insist on sticking to one grade within one brand AND satisfying the vehicle spec requirements, then you're unable to get there with this approach. If you are willing to ignore the "specs", then the options open up a tad.

Further, if you're looking to "max" the ROI, you'll have to apply the same efforts to the other lubes (tranny fluids, diff fluids, xfer case fluids ...). Plus, as you don't own these, I assume the net resale value is of no consequence??? Or are there concerns there also? Because if the net resale isn't in play, you can choose lubes that may leave residual concerns down the road ... It becomes someone else's problem.

The reality is that YOU need to define what means "best" to you, in terms of your prioritization of all these inputs. There is no one-size-fits-all magic lube that will get you there. I highly recommend you sit down and make a true "ranking" sheet where all the considerations are put onto paper, then you order them in terms of priority values (1, 2, 3 ...) and do a matrix assessment. You're NEVER going to get all things to be "best" across the board; there's going to be compromise somewhere. And that's OK, as long as you realize this fact. Nothing wrong not having something be "good enough" and not "best".

Welcome to the world of fleet maintenance ! It's not all sunshine and roses.
I'm not the one calling the shots, it's the fleet owner making the call. When I took over, I took into account the different coolants, oil viscosities differential, different transmission fluids. He wants to unify and budget accordingly. I'm just gauging a wider field before I get the last say in the manner.

Looking into the depths of bitog::

Chevron/Havoline Pro-DS is looking extremely promising.

Chevron does make transmission fluids that'll meet the spec for DW, WS, VI and Mercon LV.

Castrol makes a CVT fluid that'll cover all of these and more.

However, if I can work out a better scenario for cost/performance I'm all for it. The amsoil route is not cheap and he see's that. Amsoil makes a fantastic product hence why I suggested it when I took over.

If anyone has an idea for a decent brand of oil that delivers on performance, versatility, cost effectiveness I'm willing to gauge the audience on their thoughts

Last edited:
Back