Best oil for the fleet of turo/getaround/uber vehicles

I know these vehicles are being driven in the utmost of severe service. Key in and floor it type of scenario.
When it comes to OCI, the most severe type of service is cold weather short trip driving. If your customers are putting 5k miles on the vehicle in
From on oil life monitoring study by GM:

oil life.jpg

The Chicago climate is not extreme in terms of either high or low temperatures. Although some of your customers may drive the cars hard and getting the oil hot, I think you could safely extend the OCIs past 5k with a good synthetic oil. One danger of extending OCIs is that if a car is burning or leaking oil, there is a greater risk of oil starvation if the customer doesn't check the oil. Using the cheapest synthetic (Kirkland) at 5k intervals will be conservative and the frequent services will allow you to better monitor vehicles for issues. Oil starvation is the most common killer of engines. There are other issues that could be caught early as well with more frequent servicing.

As far as grade, I would favour thicker. These vehicles don't spend a lot of running time with cold engines, and Chicago doesn't experience extreme cold. A 5W30 across the board should be fine, and will provide better protection for those vehicles that are driven very hard. They may burn less oil between OCIs as well if the oil is thicker, which could help prevent an oil starvation issue.

I would use high efficiency synthetic media oil filters, replaced every 15-20k miles. It will be cheaper than changing a cheap oil filter every 5k, and will result in less engine wear. You may not plan to keep these vehicles until the engines wear out, but less wear means less oil burning, which will result in a lower chance of oil starvation (see a theme here? I don't trust your customers).

Extending air filter replacements intervals will better protect the engine through increased filtration efficiency and will save you money. Restriction gauges for the airboxes might be a reasonable investment if these vehicles will be in service for a long time yet.

Hello and good evening.
I am looking at a reasonably way to cut costs in terms of oil purchases, I oversee a fleet of vehicles for the use of vehicle leasing/renting.. What have you; they have a vehicle based on the customer's needs. We're currently running 5k intervals on the oil, if the rental is extended we're between 7500-13k on the oil as he doesn't want to burden the renter with the maintenance costs or having them take it to a quicklube center (hes stopped that due to the number of issues he had in the past) However, we had a discussion about reducing the cost or finding a better way to make AMSOIL worth it's weight. I am open to suggestions based on the vehicles listed

There's 74 vehicles, with a mixture of pickup trucks, suv's compact cars and we're spending $900-1200.00 every 2-1/2, 3 months on just motor oil alone with AMSOIL
Various numbers of Chevrolet impala's, malibu's, Dodge caravan's/town and country, Ford F150, fiesta, fusion, Nissan Note, versa, sentra, Toyota RAV, Camry, PRIUS, YARIS. between the years of 2012-2021.

Besides doing countless oil analysis to generate a forecast, being 20 of them vehicles being city driven, are hours the best to factor in for the cause of changing out oil? I know these vehicles are being driven in the utmost of severe service. Key in and floor it type of scenario.

We currently use AC Delco, Hengst and Baldwin(also known as Hastings) for oil filters, Air filters are Denso for almost all applications.

Common oil grades as listed are 0w16,0w20,5w20,5w30
I have a few other oils in mind
HavolinePRO-DS Full Synthetic Motor Oil (6qt tote 23.99 at wally)
Pennzoil full synthetic (black label) 5qt jug $26.47 wally
MAG1 FMX (5qt jug for 38.98 on zoro)
Valvoline Advanced synthetic. (the silver label) ([email protected] at menards)
Supertech 20k (5qt)25.99)
Costco kirkland synthetic (5qt at 18.99)

We currently also use AMSOIL OE LV ATF (3 vehicles with Maxlife ATF) for all transmissions calling WS, Dexron VI, Mercon LV.
AMSOIL CVT for the toyota transmissions specc'ing for FE or honda HCF-2, NISSIAN HCF2/HCF3

Valvoline and MAG1 come to mind, however, if there's other brands I am unaware of, I am looking for suggestions.

I've attached the blackstone labs of the 2013 Chevrolet Impala PI trim, amsoil ss, as a reference. Also doing some digging on youtube, a lot of other mechanics seem to be opposed to the extended drain interval, the owner is okay with extending drain intervals wherever possible, we're changing the oil out at 5k with the likely of them being stretched out to 7.5k-9k(typical, it happens)

At the end of the day, if we can find a reasonably performing fluid based on these facts, what would be the cost effective solution?View attachment 152473
I would vote for the SuperTech High mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 for $19.98 - $1 (5%) cash back discount if purchased with a Walmart credit card online = $18.98. It's marketed as a 10,000 mile oil, and it's VOA's contain a more robust additive package than the regular SuperTech Full Synthetic 5W-30. It's the same oil as the Costco Kirkland Synthetic oil and also the Amazon Basics oil, so just buy wherever is the cheapest (SuperTech, Costco, or Amazon Basics). They're all made by Warren Oil Distribution.

When it comes to OCI, the most severe type of service is cold weather short trip driving. If your customers are putting 5k miles on the vehicle in
From on oil life monitoring study by GM:

View attachment 152695
The Chicago climate is not extreme in terms of either high or low temperatures. Although some of your customers may drive the cars hard and getting the oil hot, I think you could safely extend the OCIs past 5k with a good synthetic oil. One danger of extending OCIs is that if a car is burning or leaking oil, there is a greater risk of oil starvation if the customer doesn't check the oil. Using the cheapest synthetic (Kirkland) at 5k intervals will be conservative and the frequent services will allow you to better monitor vehicles for issues. Oil starvation is the most common killer of engines. There are other issues that could be caught early as well with more frequent servicing.

As far as grade, I would favour thicker. These vehicles don't spend a lot of running time with cold engines, and Chicago doesn't experience extreme cold. A 5W30 across the board should be fine, and will provide better protection for those vehicles that are driven very hard. They may burn less oil between OCIs as well if the oil is thicker, which could help prevent an oil starvation issue.

I would use high efficiency synthetic media oil filters, replaced every 15-20k miles. It will be cheaper than changing a cheap oil filter every 5k, and will result in less engine wear. You may not plan to keep these vehicles until the engines wear out, but less wear means less oil burning, which will result in a lower chance of oil starvation (see a theme here? I don't trust your customers).

Extending air filter replacements intervals will better protect the engine through increased filtration efficiency and will save you money. Restriction gauges for the airboxes might be a reasonable investment if these vehicles will be in service for a long time yet.
This is by far the best non trolling post of BITOG. I have to agree, these cars do not have much downtime. I would like to tend to these vehicles in the most intelligent manner possible, I have a great relationship with my customers. Any other tech out there in that Chicago is unmatched, one of the Corolla's sat in a shops yard for over a year with a shopping list of diagnostic codes no one couldn't figure out. There's good techs out there. However my mechanical knowledge is just an think out of the box scenario whereas you have your individuals out there who were taught to work on one product line. Whereas my skills with electrical, IT and mechanical take it home. On the note of the Corolla, I found a nest of connections just pulled out of a connector and a few detached grounds. After 6 hours of chasing problems, the car ran perfectly and still is in service.

I would vote for the SuperTech High mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 for $19.98 - $1 (5%) cash back discount if purchased with a Walmart credit card online = $18.98. It's marketed as a 10,000 mile oil, and it's VOA's contain a more robust additive package than the regular SuperTech Full Synthetic 5W-30. It's the same oil as the Costco Kirkland Synthetic oil and also the Amazon Basics oil, so just buy wherever is the cheapest (SuperTech, Costco, or Amazon Basics). They're all made by Warren Oil Distribution.
If Walmart can handle large orders, I would go this route, I wish I can do drums of oil, the jugs do fine with price point. Warren makes a good product, in my demolition vehicles I used to run coastal transmission fluid in them personally, I used amsoil for my personal vehicles (the marketing behind said product, it's a catch 22).

Quackerstate ultimate was my go to at under $19/jug.

As for oil analysis, I've got some impressive numbers at 7,500k.

Back