Best oil for new 2011 SkiDoo w/Etec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. I just got an '11 skidoo with a 600cc ETEC engine. There are warning labels suggesting use of brp semi synthetic oil on the machine and in the literature, saying that warranty coverage would be denied if unsuitable oil is used. I believe later they have issued statements that they now recommend using their full synthetic in their ETEC engines, due to wanting to keep the rave exhaust valves clean. They also recommend of course using their BRP branded grease in all of the track/driveline zerks, as well as their fluid in the gearbox.

What do we know about BRP fluids? I have used Amsoil Interceptor in past seadoo watercraft that I have owned, but have never had an Etec or a skidoo snomobile before. What can folks say about using Interceptor in the new sled? How about BRP grease vs amsoil or other synthetic greases in terms of temp characteristics etc? Thanks

For snowmobiles, ATVs, etc. I always say use the manufacturer's oil, in the type and grade they suggest, during the warranty period. Even after that it is wise. It is different than with cars. I'd imagine for grease you'd be fine with Amsoil, but I don't know the specific characteristics of BRP vs Amsoil.

One option:

AMSOIL HP Injector Provides Exceptional Performance in Evinrude E-TEC Engine Lean-Mix Setting

Only a limited number of oils are proven effective in these applications.

By Dan Peterson Vice President, AMSOIL Technical Development

With the beginning of each new year, many people think about what they can do to improve some aspect of their lives. AMSOIL is no different, except that it’s an ongoing process. We are always looking for ways to improve our products, and one of the ways we validate products is through field studies. The AMSOIL technical team recently completed a field validation study outlining the performance of AMSOIL hp Injector Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil (HPI) in Evinrude® E-TECTM engines. These engines are unique in that they offer an alternative, lean-mix setting that allows the engine to use less oil. Whether programmed to run at the standard mix ratio or reprogrammed to the lean-mix setting, E-TEC engines use sophisticated electronic equipment to monitor conditions like RPM and throttle position to determine the gas-to-oil ratio injected into the engine – similar to how electronic oil life monitoring systems determine when a car’s oil should be changed. In order to take advantage of the lean-mix setting, a customer must have his or her engine reprogrammed by an Evinrude dealer. The customer must also agree to use Evinrude Johnson XD100 two-cycle oil exclusively.
AMSOIL hp Injector Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil & Evinrude E-TEC Engines

Of course, we know that hp Injector is up to the task, and to prove it, AMSOIL conducted a study at a SEA-TOW facility featuring twin Evinrude 250 hp E-TEC engines, one lubricated with hp Injector and the other with Evinrude Johnson XD100. SEA-TOW is a marine-rescue organization specializing in non-emergency calls for assistance, typically towing large vessels like sport cruisers and yachts. This is an ideal environment for testing hp Injector in reprogrammed E-TEC engines under heavily loaded conditions.

As part of the study, both engines were run for 28 hours on the standard oil injection setting and were then reprogrammed by an Evinrude dealer to operate at the reduced oil consumption setting for the duration of the study. The starboard engine’s oil reservoir was filled with AMSOIL hp Injector and the port side engine’s oil reservoir was filled with XD100 two-cycle oil.

The validation period lasted a total of 534 hours; approximately 240 hours were spent under heavy-duty service conditions when the SEA-TOW boat towed marine vessels. The engines were closely monitored for the duration, and upon completion, both were disassembled and rated by a certified independent rater from Intertek. Intertek of San Antonio, Texas is an independent company specializing in product and performance testing, including qualification testing of lubricants. Intertek evaluated both Evinrude engines based on NMMA TC-W3 criteria for two-cycle marine engines, examining the condition of all engine parts and inspecting for wear and deposit formation.

Wear protection in critical areas, including the cylinder walls, was one of the main areas of interest. Although we expected hp Injector to perform well, the results exceeded our expectations.

As seen in the photo below, the cylinders looked almost new and the cross-hatch pattern from machining is clearly evident. Blockage of the exhaust ports is rated on a 10-point merit scale; a rating of 10 indicates the port is 100 percent free of blockage. Scuffing of the cylinder walls is measured by percent, where 0 percent indicates no scuffing.

This photo shows one of the cylinders from the hp Injector lubricated engine. Note that the original cross-hatch pattern is still visible. The scratch marks above the exhaust port are the result of a mechanical phenomenon; they appear in the exact same spot on the XD100-lubricated cylinders.

Evinrude E-TEC Cylinder Lubricated By AMSOIL HPI

Both hp Injector and XD100 received high ratings. The exhaust ports of both the AMSOIL- and Evinrude-lubricated cylinders had few deposits. Both oils scored near a perfect 10. Neither set of cylinder liners showed scuffing of the cylinder walls. Both engines received a 0 percent wear rating in the cylinder wall area, indicating the oils provided statistically equivalent overall wear protection.

AMSOIL hp Injector and XD100 earned near identical merit ratings for hard carbon deposits, scuffing and/or staining in all critical engine areas, including pistons, connecting rods, cylinder head, crankshaft and main bearings. The physical condition of these parts demonstrates that equipment integrity in both engines was maintained at near identical rates, despite the reduced oil rate and severe service conditions. The evidence clearly supports the use of AMSOIL hp Injector in E-TEC engines programmed for reduced oil consumption.

Based on these findings, AMSOIL hp Injector will provide excellent protection for Evinrude E-TEC engines programmed for reduced oil consumption, and AMSOIL fully supports the use of AMSOIL hp Injector in place of Evinrude XD100 in these applications.

Thanks for the replies..Oilboy - I actually read that article yesterday - good read - but it's focused around evinrude outboards...while the skidoo shares the etec computer and injection system with the evinrude, I'm not sure about the rest of the rotax block being the same at all nor do the machines see the same types of loads/use. I know for rotax powered seadoo watercraft, they recommend the same xps synthetic, and Amsoil interceptor works very well in those situations, keeping things cleaner. HP injector oil may work well in an outboard, but it is not recommended for use in engines with power exhaust valves...which my skidoo has.

castrol is the exclusive blender of xps, and all of bombardier oil and recently released their own version of a syn blend called act.evo x-tra 2t.
I researched this very topic, in depth, in early winter and chose to go with the castrol offering. I had been running the amsoil interceptor for the last 8 years or so. Everyone complained about the smell following me with the amsoil, not so with the castrol. It does meet the proper spec and is much cheaper than the compitition

I've been using Mystic(Citgo) 'Sea & Snow' injection oil in my 2005 Ski-Doo snowmobile. Lots of guys use it without problems. I just use what's in my grease gun for the grease fittings.

Roadrunner, I have been told several times and read that recently - in the last couple years - not sure exactly when, BRP took their oil business away from Castrol and now sources from a company called Lubetech. Do you have any solid evidence that brp is still sourcing from castrol?

For the ETEC skidoos they are now recommending full synthetic...so I am not looking for a blend..and they also run extremely lean oil ratios, so smell is not an issue. What I'm trying to find is an oil that is as good or better than the BRP oil..and hoping interceptor fits the bill, because I have a LOT of it sitting in my garage.

Mr Joe thx for the comment on the grease.. reason I ask is because I guess there are a lot of different types of grease out there..I may dig deeper in the grease forum.

Originally Posted By: Lightman
Roadrunner, I have been told several times and read that recently - in the last couple years - not sure exactly when, BRP took their oil business away from Castrol and now sources from a company called Lubetech. Do you have any solid evidence that brp is still sourcing from castrol?

For the ETEC skidoos they are now recommending full synthetic...so I am not looking for a blend..and they also run extremely lean oil ratios, so smell is not an issue. What I'm trying to find is an oil that is as good or better than the BRP oil..and hoping interceptor fits the bill, because I have a LOT of it sitting in my garage.

Mr Joe thx for the comment on the grease.. reason I ask is because I guess there are a lot of different types of grease out there..I may dig deeper in the grease forum.

When I was researching this last fall all of the info I had at that time pointed to Castrol.
Both of my sleds are '02, so I'm not into the high-efficiency of even the sdi, let alone the etec. what JASO spec are they calling for in the etec's?

If you start poking around online you can find BRP full syn competitively priced with the amsoil interceptor

Just FYI, Mystic(Citgo) Sea & Snow comes in full synthetic and semi-synthetic versions. It's usually just under $20 at the Farm & Fleet, & Fleet Farm & similar stores. I hardly ever go back to the manufacturer for any type of fluids. None of them make their own anyway, farmed out.

I just happen to have about 10 gallons of interceptor sitting around my garage is the reason I've been poking around. Considering this sled came with BRP semi-synthetic and that is what the manual states is the minimum requirement, I am pretty confident Interceptor fits the bill and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back