Best mid size SUV under $25K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Silverado12
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by paoester
A new Hyundai Tucson is a great deal. They are AWD, and have a very good 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, about the same size as an Escape.
I think the Kia Sportage is similar.
Hyundai has car plants in the south (Alabama).

Oh yeah

The south is loaded with car manufacturers

Kia
Hyundai
Honda
BMW
Mercedes
VW
Nissan

GM and Ford left town years ago ...³ðŸ¤”☹ï¸

Uh, they really were never there. Foreign manufacturers were looking for cheap labor in the South. If you're looking for American made, check out the most American made car there is- Jeep Cherokee.

German suspension, German transmission, Austrian AWD. IMO, it is great combination what they did, but just to make this clear.

Just my opinion but i think many people put too much stock in Resale Value. Much of the value difference is attributed to incentives placed on the vehicle when sold or leased brand new. Usually a Toyota sells for more in the first place than other brands.

Another reason resale value shouldnt be a major concern is it only matters when you sell and matters less the longer to keep it. If you pay less for a VW Tiguan and keep it for 10 years before selling the actual cost of depreciation wont matter when the lower initial price is factored in. Tiguan V Rav 4 today saves at least 3k up front in actual purchase price. That initial savings is also money you dont pay tax and interest on.

So why let a small theoretical future value difference control what you drive? Your going to lose a ton of money in any new vehicle purchase.

Originally Posted by dareo
Just my opinion but i think many people put too much stock in Resale Value. Much of the value difference is attributed to incentives placed on the vehicle when sold or leased brand new. Usually a Toyota sells for more in the first place than other brands.

Another reason resale value shouldnt be a major concern is it only matters when you sell and matters less the longer to keep it. If you pay less for a VW Tiguan and keep it for 10 years before selling the actual cost of depreciation wont matter when the lower initial price is factored in. Tiguan V Rav 4 today saves at least 3k up front in actual purchase price. That initial savings is also money you dont pay tax and interest on.

So why let a small theoretical future value difference control what you drive? Your going to lose a ton of money in any new vehicle purchase.

I never understood this part of equation. If one plans to hold vehicle for 1 or 2 years, yeah, if that is the most important thing. But long term? Does not matter at all.
I have 8 year old Tiguan, wife is happy with it and said she wants to keep it next 4-5 years. At that point, ay vehicle does not have to be worth anything. So far it did everything we asked it to do, it is like a goat in the snow in the Rockies, and I might actually never sell it just to see how far it will go.

I value resale. The reason resale is higher in some cars over others is people are willing to pay more.
Why do you think that is?

Also, why do you think RAV4s cost more then Tiguans?
Perhaps because people are willing to pay more?
I wonder why that is?
Maybe VW likes us soooo much they are willing to cut their profits by thousands per vehicle?

Problem with resale value calculations is that they are based on MSRP. While this works in favor of Toyota and Honda because they offer little discounts, it doesn't look good for other manufacturers, all of which offer substantial discounts, plus one can often negotiate below discounts as well.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I value resale. The reason resale is higher in some cars over others is people are willing to pay more.

I wonder why that is?
Maybe VW likes us soooo much they are willing to cut their profits by thousands per vehicle?

It is a self fulfilling prophesy, by keeping the prices inflated, those that are willing to pay think they bought a superior product.
It is not an accident this whole resale value thing is so carefully managed by Honda and Toyota, it helps to keep the illusion of superiority alive. Apple is very successful at doing this as well.

People pay more for honda and toyota for one simple reason. They have perceived brand quality. Ask anybody that isnt a car person what the best is. They always say Honda Toyota. Not saying they are the best or not but its common opinion amongst those that dont really know.
Its so easy for a Toyota salesman to say "of course [any other brand] is cheaper because its junk" when nearly everybody thinks Toyota is unbreakable.
Modern cars are a sum of their global parts bins and every brand is subject to having issues. People are in shock when their golden toyota has an issue. Nobody is surprised when VW needs something fixed.

People pay more for honda and toyota for one simple reason. They have perceived brand quality. Ask anybody that isnt a car person what the best is. They always say Honda Toyota. Not saying they are the best or not but its common opinion amongst those that dont really know.
Its so easy for a Toyota salesman to say "of course [any other brand] is cheaper because its junk" when nearly everybody thinks Toyota is unbreakable.
Modern cars are a sum of their global parts bins and every brand is subject to having issues. People are in shock when their golden toyota has an issue. Nobody is surprised when VW needs something fixed.

Well put.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Problem with resale value calculations is that they are based on MSRP. While this works in favor of Toyota and Honda because they offer little discounts, it doesn't look good for other manufacturers, all of which offer substantial discounts, plus one can often negotiate below discounts as well.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

I wonder why that is?

It is a self fulfilling prophesy, by keeping the prices inflated, those that are willing to pay think they bought a superior product.
It is not an accident this whole resale value thing is so carefully managed by Honda and Toyota, it helps to keep the illusion of superiority alive. Apple is very successful at doing this as well.

Honda and Toyota offer discounts. The only RAV4 that isn't discounted is the Hybrid; generally you can only get $500 off MSRP.
These things move quick, at least in Silicon Valley.
I was in the market 2 months ago.
The dealerships have to discount, because there are so many dealerships.
I did very well on a CR-V EXL. I liked it better than the RAV4.

Self fulfilling prophesy? Not sure I can buy that one.
But if you do buy that, does that mean people are willing to pay less for Tiguans with the belief they are getting an inferior car? I hope not.

All the data shows Hondas and Toyotas are great cars.
People pay more because that's what they want. It ain't that hard...

Anyways, it's your money. Buy what works for you.

Agreed. It's all about managing expectations.

Get a Tiguan for its styling. Its a matter of taste, but let's face it, a Rav4 looks like it was styled by somebody smoking crack who watches too much Japanese science fiction anime movies.
Price & warranty, its hard to beat.

---- The CX-5 is likely "the best" if money etc. is no object. You can get one for under $25,000 somewhere though, not out of line with the other choices.

I agree
Resale is not an issue with my search for our next vehicle purchase.
The Escape we have now was bought new 11 years ago so the next vehicle will be a long term owner as well

thanks to kstanf150, now I want a Lincoln MKC "Reserve"! That is a higher trim package, and I'd get an aftermarket hood ornament just to make the point. What good is a lincoln without one? Real Americana.
[Linked Image from images.fineartamerica.com]

Originally Posted by paoester
thanks to kstanf150, now I want a Lincoln MKC "Reserve"! That is a higher trim package, and I'd get an aftermarket hood ornament just to make the point. What good is a lincoln without one? Real Americana.
[Linked Image from images.fineartamerica.com]

LOL .......you've made my day !!!!!
I agree !!!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

The Lincoln brand is very much over looked nowadays
They've made a strong come back in the last few years

I agree
The Escape we have now was bought new 11 years ago so the next vehicle will be a long term owner as well

A well-cared for pickup truck will bring "high book" at trade in time despite the fact rebates/discounts total between $10,000.00 to $15,000.00 on a new one.That's why it relatively easy to move up a trim level at trade in time.

Originally Posted by CKN

I agree

A well-cared for pickup truck will bring "high book" at trade in time despite the fact rebates/discounts total between $10,000.00 to $15,000.00 on a new one.That's why it relatively easy to move up a trim level at trade in time.

Yep, Jeeps are also something that hold their value strangely well, despite not topping the list of some of these "surveys"
21.gif

After they killed off the Town Car, I stopped paying attention. I mean, MKC, MKX, MKZ. I can't keep track. Can't they at least come up with individual and unique names?

Originally Posted by atikovi

After they killed off the Town Car, I stopped paying attention. I mean, MKC, MKX, MKZ. I can't keep track. Can't they at least come up with individual and unique names?

I think a lot of us miss the Town Car

They actually are starting to bring the names back
smile.gif

Continental, Aviator, Nautilus, Corsair, and of course the Navigator. The only non-names left are MKC and MKZ

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

They actually are starting to bring the names back
smile.gif

Continental, Aviator, Nautilus, Corsair, and of course the Navigator. The only non-names left are MKC and MKZ

Good point ðŸ‘

I think a lot of us miss the Town Car

A lot of BITOG members miss carburetors, points, plugs, non energy absorbing bumpers, bias ply tires and tune ups every 12,000 miles. I mean these days how can you become "one with your car?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back