Best mid size SUV under $25K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by paoester
A new Hyundai Tucson is a great deal. They are AWD, and have a very good 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, about the same size as an Escape.
I think the Kia Sportage is similar.
Hyundai has car plants in the south (Alabama).

Oh yeah

The south is loaded with car manufacturers

Kia
Hyundai
Honda
BMW
Mercedes
VW
Nissan

GM and Ford left town years ago ...³ðŸ¤”☹ï¸

Uh, they really were never there. Foreign manufacturers were looking for cheap labor in the South. If you're looking for American made, check out the most American made car there is- Jeep Cherokee.

Originally Posted by atikovi
All these threads of someone asking recommendations for buying a car always turn into people posting their personal opinions of what car THEY would buy or bashing cars based on nothing but the internet effect.

This.

You would be crazy buying something used (warranty) for that money.

Drive them all. I like Subaru bc of its visibility and superior AWD. They are all about the same safety rating. ..but subaru has a well earned reputation. Yep..I am a fanboy but with good reason. But please drive one. My son has a CRV and IMHO its freaking boring.

But a 19 left over of anything is the way to go instead of 2020. You will save $2K+

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12
Originally Posted by paoester
A new Hyundai Tucson is a great deal. They are AWD, and have a very good 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, about the same size as an Escape.
I think the Kia Sportage is similar.
Hyundai has car plants in the south (Alabama).

Oh yeah

The south is loaded with car manufacturers

Kia
Hyundai
Honda
BMW
Mercedes
VW
Nissan

GM and Ford left town years ago ...³ðŸ¤”☹ï¸

Uh, they really were never there. Foreign manufacturers were looking for cheap labor in the South. If you're looking for American made, check out the most American made car there is- Jeep Cherokee.

You don't have a clue what your taking about
GM and Ford were the car manufacturer in the South for 50 years or more

GM had plants at Doraville and Lakewood and Ford had plants in Hapeville for ever
All in Atlanta
Get your facts

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al
I am a fanboy but with good reason.
That's what every fanboy says.
smile.gif

It doesn't make any difference to me what you buy. I like VW's and FCA products both. Been good to me and I do my own maintenance/repair. For any other make, I won't buy it if it has a CVT. That includes many of the vehicles mentioned in this thread. It seems that many folks love the Mazda models on this board. I would take a look at them. Subaru and Honda are a no-go for me due to the aforementioned CVT's.

Looking to replace my wife's 2008 Ford Escape with something used for $25K or less.
Opinions ??🤔🤔🤔

No GM offerings please
Thanks

We are all rooting for you.
We just say it in our own way.

Please post your decision, price, etc.
And have fun with it. You are in the driver's seat!

Originally Posted by Starman2112
Sometimes, the cheapest way out is the most expensive way in.

Buy a Toyota or Honda.

Couldn't have been said any better. You have to look at the big picture, especially at trade in time.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Looking to replace my wife's 2008 Ford Escape with something used for $25K or less.
Opinions ??🤔🤔🤔

No GM offerings please
Thanks

We are all rooting for you.
We just say it in our own way.

Please post your decision, price, etc.
And have fun with it. You are in the driver's seat!

Taking our time
No hurry

Thanks for you post !!ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by sloinker
It doesn't make any difference to me what you buy. I like VW's and FCA products both. Been good to me and I do my own maintenance/repair. For any other make, I won't buy it if it has a CVT. That includes many of the vehicles mentioned in this thread. It seems that many folks love the Mazda models on this board. I would take a look at them. Subaru and Honda are a no-go for me due to the aforementioned CVT's.

You no like CVT because the feel or you worry about reliability? The Toyota feels fine to me in limited experience and I've never read a problem with reliability with Toyota CVT.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by wdn
Volkswagen Tiguan
Reliability Score 18 out of a possible 100. Well Below Average.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Volkswagen_Tiguan.html

So tell me, what problems I should have in my Tiguan going 8 years now?

The Jeep Wrangler is at the top of that list.

Tells you all you need to know - worthless.

Top 10 vehicles for resale value 2019
#3 Toyota Tundra
#2 Jeep Wrangler
#1 Toyota Tacoma

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2019/01/top-10-vehicles-with-the-best-resale-value-2019.html

A 2016-2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring with the NA 2.5 might be a nice option. Probably pick one up a clean one owner with 15-20,000 miles and add the 7 year 100k mile bumper to bumper or a non conventional option would be a 15-16 Honda Ridge-line. Both can be had reasonably due to America's turbo and big truck obsessions.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by sloinker

You no like CVT because the feel or you worry about reliability? The Toyota feels fine to me in limited experience and I've never read a problem with reliability with Toyota CVT.

The driving dynamics of CVT's are not to my liking, even with the fake gear changes. Reliability isn't as big an issue as it once was it seems. I've worked on enough Honda's and Toyota's to know that perception is reality but not always what's real.

Originally Posted by wdn
Volkswagen Tiguan

Number of samples that Dashboard-Lite has for the Tiguan: 1,946.

Number of Tiguans VW sold from 2009-2015: 183,536

That's a sample size of 1.06%. Not anything actually useful. Oh... and that site is OBVIOUSLY bogus. There is no way a Wrangler could come in ahead of a Toyota RAV4!

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by wdn
Volkswagen Tiguan

Number of samples that Dashboard-Lite has for the Tiguan: 1,946.

Number of Tiguans VW sold from 2009-2015: 183,536

That's a sample size of 1.06%. Not anything actually useful. Oh... and that site is OBVIOUSLY bogus. There is no way a Wrangler could come in ahead of a Toyota RAV4!

Exactly.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Al
I am a fanboy but with good reason.
That's what every fanboy says.
smile.gif

lol..so true.
cheers3.gif

No mention of Subaru's so far
I'd bet 💵 somebody would have by now with all the Subie owners on here

In statistical quality control for manufacturing for a population of 183,000, to determine if an item meets quality standards (
A 1 percent sample of a large population of cars is plenty large enough.

Volkswagen brand as a whole only rates a 10 points out of a possible 100 in reliability compared to other brands: dashboard-light.com/reports/Volkswagen.html

Quality, and perceived quality in an open marketplace, is not just about repair costs, it also determines resale value.

2018 Volkswagen Tiguan that sells for $27,100 new, loses 58 percent of its value in the the first five years of ownership. It depreciates by $15,346 according to Edmunds. A 2018 RAV4 that sells for $26,827 new only depreciates $12,201

That is a difference of $3,100 the owner of a new Tiguan is going to lose, if he sells it. Combined with the other expenses true cost to own Tiguan for first 5 years is about $4,500 more than the RAV4.
https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/tiguan/2018/cost-to-own/#style=401720216

Now add in the fact that by 88,000 miles average on Tiguan models in the Dashboard Light statistics, 16.2 percent of them already had engine issues.

Just located a 2017 Lincoln MKC Reserve
13,000 miles
$22,500

Very nice for the money ðŸ‘

Sounds good! It's Lincoln's Ford Escape in a tuxedo. A little disappointing it only has a 6-speed in a '17 luxo CUV.
Heck, I'd buy it just because of the Carrey-McConaughey commercial for it:

Originally Posted by wdn

Originally Posted by wdn
Volkswagen Tiguan

The OP asked to know what is the best compact SUV, not about what is the worst.

So you actually do not have a clue so you are trying to deflect question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back