Suggestions for a new car ?

The Camry is big enough to be useful, reasonably comfortable in base model trim and will get acceptable MPG if driven carefully. I get about 32-35MPG in rental Camry's and near 40 on the highway. For $30K, the Camry or Accord is about as close to a "real car size" as one can get.

I will say this, I am exceedingly uncomfortable in the new Accords. The seat is on the floor, and can't be adjusted to any semblance of comfort to me. Couple that with the 1.5 turbo engine filling up with fuel, and it's a non starter for me.

As always, sometimes Costco can help combat the insane dealership markups. You won't get a smokin' great deal through Costco, but you can avoid certain charges. It is worth considering.

Interesting, at 6'3 and 245 lbs I'm large, and find the Accord one of the most comfortable new vehicles made to drive. Getting into it is a bit awkward, but once inside, its heaven, and has the headroom I want, unlike 90% of vehicles. I find the camry and corolla terrible to drive. The corolla is so tiny its like a clown car with 14 people in it, and while the camry isn't as bad its still got 0 comfortable driving positions. So what you say applies to your personal body shape, not everyone else. Surprisingly I fit, in a Honda Fit, with its shockingly good head room for a small car, and seat that fits my 6'3 body. When I drive my friends Fit it is comfortable, but if I try and drive another friends corolla it doesn't at all. 15 minutes in the corolla and I feel like I am halfway crippled and can't wait to get out of it.
But drive the 2023 Accord, or 2016 Fit 4 hours, and its all good.
One mans comfort, doesn't necessarily fit everyone else's idea of comfort. The most comfortable thing I have ever driven is my 2023 Western Star 49X, doesn't mean that everyone else should go buy a 49X.
People as an individual need to try out as many vehicles as possible, and decide what's appropriate for them.

to save someone the work of looking it up, throwing this info out re.Camry certified pre-owned

right now, these prices are too high (for me)

a CPO Camry in OP's budget has too many miles (>60k) when compared to a *new* Kia Forte or Mazda 3

As someone who has driven a lot of camry's and accord's, The 2023 accord is the most underwhelming piece of garbage ever made by honda (although right next to it would be the new hybrid CRV, and the HRV). The last good honda's that you can buy brand new would be the 1.5 turbo civic, civic si, pilot, 1.5 turbo crv, and that is about it. Why? They are hilariously slow. Anyone who accepts anything that does 0-60 in over 7.9 seconds is just making excuses for piles of metal garbage. The fact that we have regressed in performance per MPG, performance in general, and basic features, is insane.

For example, honda has removed blind spot monitoring as a standard feature on EVERY Trim of EVERY Car except the touring's, which are usually a 15K mark up over the base trims. They have removed the mediocre 180w audio system from everything except the trim bellow touring, which it was a mediocre system as is, with pretty much the 2-3 bottom trims using a 4 speaker 90's headphone sounding pile of crap. A 30,000 MSPR civic has more features than a 30,000 MSRP accord, which makes zero sense. Their pricing structure sucks, and there is too much overlap, although I bet this is to be able to cut the bottom trim at some point (like the did with the civic) to incrase profit margins.

Not only that, the hybrid system used by honda is useless in the states. In a city, or in europe, maybe, but you would have to exclude highway driving. The electric motor helps you get up to 45-50 quite quickly, but after that the gas motor can't get you past 60 in any reasonable amount of time. The 60-80 time which is the most common passing speed, is so long that you might as well not bother passing in fear of being rear ended when you pull out into the passing lane. The base trims with the 1.5 turbo actually perform about the same in 0-60 but can actually reach past 100 at a quick-ish pace, and with a tune flash that any novice could do, would walk previous generation V6's.

--

Toyota on the other hand has done it smart, using a nice 2.5L NA motor with 200hp on the base and lower trims with a standard 8 speed makes the car a class above the accord in every single way on its own, this doesn't include the mirriyad of standard features toyota piles on with every trim up. The 2.5 is peppy, not fast but not slow either, and can comfortably pass on the highway while doing almost 40 MPG. Almost no need for a hybrid! Then if you do go for the hybrid camry (since the accord is almost exclusively hybrid) the system is PARALLEL meaning you get the electric and gas motor at the same time all the time, giving you better MPG than the honda, AND more performance at that. Of course there is the V6 but its hilariously over priced and you could just buy an Avalon for less with more luxury.

In 2024 toyota will be moving the camry to a hybrid only product stack, but at least they kept the 2.5L engine AND beefed up the electric motors to push close to 250hp, putting honda in the grave. This doesn't even include the fact that you can get faster and better hybrid system on literally ANY toyota product, or opt for something greater than 1.5 liters in displacement if you are so straight you can't stand electrons under the back seat.

--

I said this on a honda forum, when people were gawking at how bold honda was with their new line up. I said quote " Honda made this new accord so disposable, that I won't be surprised when they axe the car from their product line up by 2026, becaues it is horribly uncompetitive in every metric, features/price, price/performance, performance/mpg, and all of that combined. Reliability maybe its last resort, but we have seen a drastic up tick in electrical issues with every new subsequent honda product, not a deal breaker, but its worth noting. Honda developed the accord to be so bad, that when people finally get sick and tired of it and stop buying it, honda will cut it from its portfolio and blame the customer, not the engineers who let this exist. "

--

At the end of the day, there really are a handfull of car options.
Toyota - the be all end all daily driver car maker, always has been worth the money.
Lexus - the over priced version of toyota
American makes - the desperate ones trying to keep up with mediocre engineering and so-so american design - could apeal to some at the right price.
German makes - Over priced for the average/median income consumer unless you get VW, which is at this point, a matter of taste.
Koreans - that can't seem to put two pieces of metal together without causing a million car recal for decades
Nissan - just no, oh how the mighty have fallen
Infinity - nissan just worse
Mazda - The wanna be luxury brand
Subaru - only for those of us with enough patagonia sweaters and the need for awd and high repair bills
Honda - The car company that went from an engine manufacturer to a design and marketing company, like apple.
Acura - The good honda but over priced
TRUCKS - cause if you need a truck you need a truck, yet 99% of people who own pickup's don't tow, haul, or use them for work.
Other EU/SEA makes that I have never heard about and are probably only relevant in their respective countries.

As someone who has driven a lot of camry's and accord's, The 2023 accord is the most underwhelming piece of garbage ever made by honda (although right next to it would be the new hybrid CRV, and the HRV). The last good honda's that you can buy brand new would be the 1.5 turbo civic, civic si, pilot, 1.5 turbo crv, and that is about it. Why? They are hilariously slow. Anyone who accepts anything that does 0-60 in over 7.9 seconds is just making excuses for piles of metal garbage. The fact that we have regressed in performance per MPG, performance in general, and basic features, is insane.

For example, honda has removed blind spot monitoring as a standard feature on EVERY Trim of EVERY Car except the touring's, which are usually a 15K mark up over the base trims. They have removed the mediocre 180w audio system from everything except the trim bellow touring, which it was a mediocre system as is, with pretty much the 2-3 bottom trims using a 4 speaker 90's headphone sounding pile of crap. A 30,000 MSPR civic has more features than a 30,000 MSRP accord, which makes zero sense. Their pricing structure sucks, and there is too much overlap, although I bet this is to be able to cut the bottom trim at some point (like the did with the civic) to incrase profit margins.

Not only that, the hybrid system used by honda is useless in the states. In a city, or in europe, maybe, but you would have to exclude highway driving. The electric motor helps you get up to 45-50 quite quickly, but after that the gas motor can't get you past 60 in any reasonable amount of time. The 60-80 time which is the most common passing speed, is so long that you might as well not bother passing in fear of being rear ended when you pull out into the passing lane. The base trims with the 1.5 turbo actually perform about the same in 0-60 but can actually reach past 100 at a quick-ish pace, and with a tune flash that any novice could do, would walk previous generation V6's.

--

Toyota on the other hand has done it smart, using a nice 2.5L NA motor with 200hp on the base and lower trims with a standard 8 speed makes the car a class above the accord in every single way on its own, this doesn't include the mirriyad of standard features toyota piles on with every trim up. The 2.5 is peppy, not fast but not slow either, and can comfortably pass on the highway while doing almost 40 MPG. Almost no need for a hybrid! Then if you do go for the hybrid camry (since the accord is almost exclusively hybrid) the system is PARALLEL meaning you get the electric and gas motor at the same time all the time, giving you better MPG than the honda, AND more performance at that. Of course there is the V6 but its hilariously over priced and you could just buy an Avalon for less with more luxury.

In 2024 toyota will be moving the camry to a hybrid only product stack, but at least they kept the 2.5L engine AND beefed up the electric motors to push close to 250hp, putting honda in the grave. This doesn't even include the fact that you can get faster and better hybrid system on literally ANY toyota product, or opt for something greater than 1.5 liters in displacement if you are so straight you can't stand electrons under the back seat.

--

I said this on a honda forum, when people were gawking at how bold honda was with their new line up. I said quote " Honda made this new accord so disposable, that I won't be surprised when they axe the car from their product line up by 2026, becaues it is horribly uncompetitive in every metric, features/price, price/performance, performance/mpg, and all of that combined. Reliability maybe its last resort, but we have seen a drastic up tick in electrical issues with every new subsequent honda product, not a deal breaker, but its worth noting. Honda developed the accord to be so bad, that when people finally get sick and tired of it and stop buying it, honda will cut it from its portfolio and blame the customer, not the engineers who let this exist. "

--

Toyota - the be all end all daily driver car maker, always has been worth the money.
American makes - the desperate ones trying to keep up with mediocre engineering and so-so american design - could apeal to some at the right price.
German makes - Over priced for the average/median income consumer unless you get VW, which is at this point, a matter of taste.
Koreans - that can't seem to put two pieces of metal together without causing a million car recal for decades
Subaru - only for those of us with enough patagonia sweaters and the need for awd and high repair bills
Honda - The car company that went from an engine manufacturer to a design and marketing company, like apple.
TRUCKS - cause if you need a truck you need a truck, yet 99% of people who own pickup's don't tow, haul, or use them for work.
Other EU/SEA makes that I have never heard about and are probably only relevant in their respective countries.

I enjoy laughing, so want to sincerely thank you for this post.

Interesting, at 6'3 and 245 lbs I'm large, and find the Accord one of the most comfortable new vehicles made to drive.
No question we are all shaped differently. I'm not a small guy either.

But the Accord seats are universally accepted as uncomfortable. One aspect is the low nature of the seat. Another is the bottom cushion foam is configured incorrectly for most people. Interestingly, there are many threads on just how to reupholster the seats to fix the issue.

Quote: This turned out to be the single most stupid purchase decision I have ever made. The car has by far the most uncomfortable seats I have ever experienced. This is not apparent from the test drives. After my first 2 hour drive my back was in excruciating pain for the whole day!

• Haha
Reactions: hrv

But the Accord seats are universally accepted as uncomfortable. One aspect is the low nature of the seat. Another is the bottom cushion foam is configured incorrectly for most people. Interestingly, there are many threads on just how to reupholster the seats to fix the issue.

Quote: This turned out to be the single most stupid purchase decision I have ever made. The car has by far the most uncomfortable seats I have ever experienced. This is not apparent from the test drives. After my first 2 hour drive my back was in excruciating pain for the whole day!

Interesting, fits me perfectly.

--

--

--

There is alot of misinformation in your post.
The one in bold is probably the worst one.

I read it on the Internet. It must be true.................

Go over to goodcar-bad car and tell me what the sales are-Yea and all those drivers backs are hurting.

ive been snooping around and came across this high volume dealer in miami,i currrntly have a malibu but was looking at an equinox , the malibu is a great car but the cvt makes it junk , if only i could find a high volume toyota dealer on the east coast that has discounts like those below

Wow. What's the catch?

Wow. What's the catch?
We offer preferred pricing and VIP service to you directly through the Internet department. If you are looking for The NO Hassle Approach with No Back and Forth, then for more information please visit us at www.bomninchevrolet.com. Accessories and color may vary. Quoted price subject to change without notice to correct errors or omissions or in the event of inventory fluctuations. This is an individualized price quote and is valid solely in connection with a purchase by you, the recipient. Quoted price good on date of publication only. Price already include applicable manufacturer rebates and incentives which are subject to manufacturer incentive or rebate qualification criteria and requirements, and which may be contingent upon manufacturer finance company approval. Manufacturer incentive data (customer rebates) is provided by third parties and believed to be accurate as of the time of publication. Manufacturer incentives may expire at any time. Dealer service/document fee of $999 is not included in quoted price. Tax, tag, and electronic registration fee of $399 are not included. Standard features are based upon trim level. Price does not include dealer options or equipment. All features not on all vehicles. See Accessories listing for accessories particular to this vehicle. Internet Price includes the following incentives:.

The Camry is big enough to be useful, reasonably comfortable in base model trim and will get acceptable MPG if driven carefully. I get about 32-35MPG in rental Camry's and near 40 on the highway. For $30K, the Camry or Accord is about as close to a "real car size" as one can get.

I will say this, I am exceedingly uncomfortable in the new Accords. The seat is on the floor, and can't be adjusted to any semblance of comfort to me. Couple that with the 1.5 turbo engine filling up with fuel, and it's a non starter for me.

As always, sometimes Costco can help combat the insane dealership markups. You won't get a smokin' great deal through Costco, but you can avoid certain charges. It is worth considering.
Yeah the late model Camrys are much better front seat interior room wise than the late model Accords, I have rented both.

All the recommendations mean squat if the car doesn’t work for you; that is why one needs to test drive different vehicles. One car might have all the worry wort appeal and work out great for Bob, but Steve who might want to like the car finds it lacks thigh or lumbar support that he desperately needs.

My vote is new base model Camry. My nearest dealership has 20 of them stock under $30k.
IMG_5805.jpg

Back