School me on older MB Crossovers/mid-sized SUVs (ML350, etc)

I am not MB knowledgable either, so I am learning as we go. I am actually way more interested in the earlier 320 and 350 (163) now. Just emailed on a relatively low-mile one locally (115k), in fact. I’m going to check them out, too I think. If they don’t drive too “truck like” they could be excellent.
Drive one. They are solid as a rock with a nice ride. The 163’s. They just weren’t very big.

The early ML320 and ML350 were definitely ladder-on-frame, and with hi-lo transfer case (1st gen W163). Up through 2005 model year. I’ve read that and seen the frame members myself. 2006+ was unibody (just confirmed). In fact, I started thinking the other day about one of them to replace my own rarely-used tow dedicated SUV, based on what I’ve learned. The lack of a transfer case in it also makes it not a “real” SUV in my usage and in many definitions as there are things I expect to be able to do with an SUV that do require a hi-low transfer case (getting to certain mountain campsites, etc.).

My only unibody SUV towing experience was with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was a disaster (two-horse trailer through North Cascade mountains). In fact the owners offered to GIVE us the vehicle (family members). We politely declined and went and bought a Toyota Land Cruiser instead. I will grant the 2nd Gen ML may be up to the task with some more significant engineering; I haven’t tried that but my first reaction was neutral on that point given my (clearly limited) unibody towing experience. Either way, this is as a grocery getter/dog hauler/etc. No explicit need for towing. However if it were capable, I could get rid of my seldom-used SUV and borrow this one when needed, so that’s a potential plus for me in all this. ;)
The 164s and 166s have an auto transfer case. They both have transmission setting for going up and down steep rough terrain. A button on the dash.

Drive one. They are solid as a rock with a nice ride. The 163’s. They just weren’t very big.

The pics I saw made them look a little smallish, I thought.

I am trying to arrange to see one on Monday. I found a clean, lower mile one about 35/40 min away. Will check one out at least.

I also discovered doing more poking, the 2006 + 3/4 of the 2007 production of the ML500 had the older 113 V8, and thus no balance shaft issue. Seems like a good combination of the reliable engine and W164 body. I found a reasonable mileage and priced one in Portland and will likely go check it out.

672AA292-D4F4-45C0-8AA2-9E88BBEACA59.jpeg

In the market for a less expensive, slightly older Crossover or mid-SUV. A clean, lower-to-average mile RX330 would be ideal, an XC90 2.5t probably OK, but those have been hard to find. What would a similar Mercedes be, and similar options? ML350? I have casually read good things about it, but don’t know Mercedes that much.

Something similar sized to an RX330 - not full size, but not small/compact as it will be mainly an older driver using it who prefers that size.
When you said slightly older I was thinking 5-7 years old…

When you said slightly older I was thinking 5-7 years old…
Nah, not interested in current generations/new models. When I said that, I was thinking of “generations” and not years.

Long model runs now warp the definitions. The current RX, for example, has been on the market since fall 2015. Anything up to eight years old would still be the current model.

Plus my persepective is likely skewed because of living in the PNW. Cars don’t age here unless you completely neglect them. A wash and wax once or twice a year and a car doesn’t start looking “old” until about 25 years go by, maybe more.

Last edited:
I also discovered doing more poking, the 2006 + 3/4 of the 2007 production of the ML500 had the older 113 V8, and thus no balance shaft issue. Seems like a good combination of the reliable engine and W164 body. I found a reasonable mileage and priced one in Portland and will likely go check it out.

View attachment 185883
The v8’s had the same problem. You can search for the serial number ranges that had the bad balance shaft issues. Check out BenzWorld site.

The v8’s had the same problem. You can search for the serial number ranges that had the bad balance shaft issues. Check out BenzWorld site.
The 273 V8s had the problem per Benz World, etc. (parallel to the 272 V6). The 113 V8s did not have the problem. They were the V8 installed from the start of the W164 run until (per that forum) June 2007. This is a build spec on the ML500 above, it shows the 113 V8 installed. (2007 model, delivery date 01 Sept 06).

I am a sucker for a nice V8 - American, Japanese, German - don’t care. The early W164 V8 with the “safe” 113 V8 is the sweet spot I am now focused on. I wish this car was not three hours away, but I’m intersted enough to take $$ and go see it. Plus it has no air suspension per the build sheet, which is a plus.

FBB020CF-332F-493A-9FB0-CC1367E0E8A3.jpeg

Good research! If that is all the options listed, then the vehicle is pretty standard. Does it have the Harman Karden sound system? You will want that. Also If you get a 164 change out the steering fluid. They had weak rack and pinion steering racks. Not really weak but used a car rack in an SUV. I had to replace mine about 120k. Not a small job.

Nearing 200k miles on our 2002 ML500 (W163). The only weak spots in our experience are the aforementioned steering rack and bumper covers that crack if you look sideways at them. :D Love the M113 engine; the car is referred to by us as "The Tank."

There is BIG difference between RX and MB. RX 330 is buttoned up Highlander. It is transverse, FWD platform.
ML is longitudinal RWD platform that can tow 7,000lbs. It another level altogether.
That's all true, but the big difference is that the RX 330 will deliver hundreds of thousands of reliable, smooth, drama-free driving. The Benz... no.

That's all true, but the big difference is that the RX 330 will deliver hundreds of thousands of reliable, smooth, drama-free driving. The Benz... no.
So tell us, what will happen with MB?
My in-laws always worry about my European cars, as they have driven Lexus last 25 years. Two transmissions later in Lexus, they still worry about my European cars, rolling on original transmissions.

Good research! If that is all the options listed, then the vehicle is pretty standard. Does it have the Harman Karden sound system? You will want that. Also If you get a 164 change out the steering fluid. They had weak rack and pinion steering racks. Not really weak but used a car rack in an SUV. I had to replace mine about 120k. Not a small job.

I’ve done more research and also learned about the 1) weak front differential bearings, and 2) transmission solenoid issues (“conductor plate” in MB speak), as well as 3) air shock issues. I am prepared to swap over to coil shocks, and rebuild the solenoid assembly myself (cheap/free and relatively easy on this transmission). Then roll the dice on the front diff and just swap the fluid regularly to prevent the issue. I can do the diff repair myself (have a press) if I have to but I really don’t want to pull the front diff.

I know I wouldn’t have to do these things on an RX330, but I don’t want to spend the extra $5k for a high-mile RX. The local market conditions are such that 200k+ mile RX330s are $8k to $11k. I’ll take a 120-130k miles ML500 for $5k and do the potential work myself given the market conditions.

Do people have an opinion on the W164 diesels?

Found a 140k 09 320 CDI. Seems appealing but a little googling shows noticeably lower satisfaction ratings w/them, and not THAT great a boost in mpgs.

Do people have an opinion on the W164 diesels?

Found a 140k 09 320 CDI. Seems appealing but a little googling shows noticeably lower satisfaction ratings w/them, and not THAT great a boost in mpgs.
That’s what I had. Really liked it. Got great mileage and ran smooth as silk. I didn’t have any trouble with the engine. Changed the oil every 5k myself. I changed the oil a couple of times in the front differential to prevent that bearing failure. Also changed the transmission fluid every 30-40k. I only traded it because it was going to need brakes and egr clean/replace. If you are considering one, try to find out if the oil cooler seals have been replaced. That was a weak area. Mine never went bad in 140k. Mine was an 08.

So tell us, what will happen with MB?
My in-laws always worry about my European cars, as they have driven Lexus last 25 years. Two transmissions later in Lexus, they still worry about my European cars, rolling on original transmissions.
While the MB ML platform is solid, after 100k, usually having worked their way down to the third owner, they will face a repair that is economically unfeasible for the owner, because every single component on these cars is expensive, and mechanics and repair shops are not cheap. Then they sit, get crushed. Occasionally someone like you or me sees one, realizes that the repair can be done at home, with Amazon, Ebay, Junkyard, Chinese parts and the car goes back on the road, which is awesome.

On the other hand , the Lexus has a good shot of simply staying operational past 200k without much fuss at all. Engine electronics, transmissions, dashboard shenanigans, transfer cases, "here's ten codes that came up last night" are just not part of the picture. (BTW, that's how MB ML's fail).

I am not sure what happened to your in-laws' Lexus, but that is one example.

Elsewhere in this thread someone posted high mileage RX resale value at more than twice comparable ML's.

I love German cars and high mileage vehicles... more than the Japanese brands, but the jury is in on this question. Lexus has, and continues, to deliver the reliabilty smackdown on comparable Mercedes Benz products.

While the MB ML platform is solid, after 100k, usually having worked their way down to the third owner, they will face a repair that is economically unfeasible for the owner, because every single component on these cars is expensive, and mechanics and repair shops are not cheap. Then they sit, get crushed. Occasionally someone like you or me sees one, realizes that the repair can be done at home, with Amazon, Ebay, Junkyard, Chinese parts and the car goes back on the road, which is awesome.

On the other hand , the Lexus has a good shot of simply staying operational past 200k without much fuss at all. Engine electronics, transmissions, dashboard shenanigans, transfer cases, "here's ten codes that came up last night" are just not part of the picture. (BTW, that's how MB ML's fail).

I am not sure what happened to your in-laws' Lexus, but that is one example.

Elsewhere in this thread someone posted high mileage RX resale value at more than twice comparable ML's.

I love German cars and high mileage vehicles... more than the Japanese brands, but the jury is in on this question. Lexus has, and continues, to deliver the reliabilty smackdown on comparable Mercedes Benz products.
Lol. What you wrote my in-laws tell me all the time.
I had Toyota, I still have Land Cruiser in Europe.
There is a reason why I don’t have Toyota anymore and why Land Cruiser is garage queen.
What was wrong with their Lexus? Nothing, it is Lexus. Purchased from the dealer. Maintained at dealership. They got slightly used one now and last time I was visiting them already had to change rotors at 34k, bcs. junky Toyota rotors.

Lol. What you wrote my in-laws tell me all the time.
I had Toyota, I still have Land Cruiser in Europe.
There is a reason why I don’t have Toyota anymore and why Land Cruiser is garage queen.
What was wrong with their Lexus? Nothing, it is Lexus. Purchased from the dealer. Maintained at dealership. They got slightly used one now and last time I was visiting them already had to change rotors at 34k, bcs. junky Toyota rotors.
I gotta be honest, although I maintain my position, I have been through many "junky" rotor changes on the Acuras and Hondas in my family... there is no arguing that it is a weakness in the Japanese brands!

Back