Best alternator for 98 Forester, not many good choices

My alternator is whining, so it will need to be replaced soon.

The 98 is different than the 99+ models. It has a different engine (EJ25D), and a lot of other stuff is different, too. One of those differences is the alternator. Since it's a one-year special, there aren't many alternators available for this car.

You can still get an OEM alternator from the dealer, but it's over $500, and I'm NOT paying that :D

The only new alternator out there is WAI. There are some other cheap no-name alternators on Amazon, but I trust them even less than I trust WAI :cautious:

There are some reman options, of course. You have Bosch, Denso, Remy, Pure Energy, and BBB. Of course, the core charges are kind of high, and you have to pay to ship it back. The parts stores' prices on these alternators are outrageous, twice what Rock Auto is charging!

Is the new WAI worth buying? Or is reman actually the better choice here?

I will pair it with an OEM belt from the dealer. It doesn't have a modern automatic spring-loaded tensioner.

Do you have a local rebuilder? I’m wondering if you could pull, drop off, get it taken care of. If you can’t have the car down, what is the cheapest local reman that you could toss it, while dropping the original unit off for rebuild? Yeah you’re out the cost of the reman, but I’m not sure what is most important here.

Lastly… is $500 that expensive? I mean, a decent reman is probably half that, and not a quarter as good. If you like this car, isn’t it worth it, to be one and done on this repair?

Your best chance at getting a "good" alternator will be with an OEM replacement, but even that doesn't mean good these days.

Finding a good junkyard unit would be about impossible for a 26yr/old Subaru as it will probably have in aftermarket unit in it at this point anyway.

Does this list the parts you'd need?

Also Post #7 here mentions a rebuilder in Ohio. Note they specifically say the price will be "much less" if you send in your existing unit for rebuild.

I think i would take a chance and try a rebuild kit.

Here is one, double check application, maybe search for others, this is just one that i found, don't know anything about the company.

Looks like the same kit on amazon.

I think i would take a chance and try a rebuild kit.

Here is one, double check application, maybe search for others, this is just one that i found, don't know anything about the company.

Looks like the same kit on amazon.

Yeah that's totally what I did on the wife's '08 F150.

Depending on alt you may very well need a "chassis" soldering iron, but that's just one more excuse to buy a tool. And honestly there's a good chance just brushes (and maybe the slip ring) will get you back in business

What makes a whine, the bearings or diode bridge?

The bearings should be pretty easy to swap out, particularly the front one that takes most of the belt load.

Is there another alternator that takes the same case that's massively cheaper, but off in rating by five amps or something? I'm about to put one from a 97 Sable into my 91 F150 with a simple wiring modification.

Reactions: D60
The parts stores' prices on these alternators are outrageous, twice what Rock Auto is charging!
Is this a daily driver where downtime is unacceptable? A local parts store with a lifetime warranty is the best option. Swapping it should take barely 30 minutes.

Advance Auto isnt outrageous. Its a pretty good price, and I didnt even search for a coupon.

1704646132890.png

Otherwise, Rockauto has the Denso reman with a 12 month warranty for about the same price.

I've had one of these brand alternators on an S-10 for a couple years and its still working. I've had good luck with no name alternators and starters myself on my own vehicles.. Not what I'd use if I was repairing cars for a living, but fine for me.

Choices at Rock Auto…

Yes, I saw Rock Auto's choices, which is what I mentioned in the OP :p

Is this a daily driver where downtime is unacceptable? A local parts store with a lifetime warranty is the best option. Swapping it should take barely 30 minutes.

Advance Auto isnt outrageous. Its a pretty good price, and I didnt even search for a coupon.

View attachment 197064

Otherwise, Rockauto has the Denso reman with a 12 month warranty for about the same price.

It is a daily driver.

That AAP/CQ alternator is probably the same as the cheap Pure Energy on Rock Auto, which is under $100 there :sneaky:

Back