Advice needed on Denso remanufactured Alternators.

I've replaced the alternator on two of my old vehicles (Sienna and Accord) and so far the Denso remanufactured ones have held up fine. No subsequent replacements.

The alternator on my old BMW was replaced once and it was a Bosch. It held up fine too, Bosch uses new bearings I believe. Bosch also gives you two years of free roadside assistance for a failure of their product.
Thanks - for your 2 vehicles, would you care to share how many years/miles have the Denso remanufactured alternators been in use for.

I've learned from my own experience to not buy remanufactured alternators. Even a cheaper New alt would be a better alternative. There may be better constructed remans out there but they've not been any I've purchased. You're wanting reliability so go new whatever brand you decide to go with. Electronic items are usually something I buy new as good practice. All that being said if your alternator is easy to remove then I suppose not a big deal to replace it with a reman.

Asking any reman part to last as long as a 100% new OE part is a big ask.

Then again, do you also expect a 2006 Odyssey w/VCM to be running in 2034? You do not seem like the type to engage in major repairs yourself - it probably isn't financially feasible to keep this vehicle running for that long.
I really like the 2006/2007 Odysseys' soft leather seats, moon roof, Navigation, DVD, 8 passenger seating, IIHS proven safety in accidents, at a bargain used car price. No oil consumption in any of them. They are all running smooth. I will try to keep them another 10+ years.
Whenever I drive another vehicle regardless of how new it is, I always end up saying this feels worse than our Odyssey.

So, since Denso makes these OEM Honda Alternators, I went to Densoproducts website and found the alternator:

Problem is: The new version is not available, only a remanufactured one by Denso is available.

Goal is to buy an alternator and have it last 10 years (not 10 months).
Does anyone have any experience with Denso remanufactured alternators purchased from Densoproducts website?
Are they as good as new alternators, or do they have high failure rate.

Thanks. Any advice would be appreciated.
I installed a Denso 210-0575 remanufactured alternator in a 2006 Honda Odyssey (Touring trim) with VCM for my friend in 2021. It has performed flawlessly ever since and has traveled over 40,000 miles in 2 years. I purchased it from SUMMIT Racing and it arrived in 3 days with free shipping. Note: the "make sure it fits" function says the 210-0575 part does not fit a 2006 Odyssey, however, I can ensure you that it is an exact match for the OEM Honda part as long as you have the J-35 motor with VCM. If you order from SUMMIT, the part is direct shipped from Denso in California. Be sure to keep the Denso box to return the core for reimbursement of the $70 core charge.

DENSO Alternator from Summit

I had previously installed another Denso reman. alternator in my wife's Honda Element in 2018 and it is working perfectly today.

But who would be doing the re-manufacturing? A local shop affiliated with Rock Auto, or Denso?
If it's sold as a DENSO, they are the ones who rebuilt it or at least have a facility that rebuilds it to their specs. Bosch rebuilds their own alternators at a facility in Michigan, as I recall.

as long as you have the J-35 motor with VCM
I only looked at Rockauto but they have (2) DENSO alternators listed - one with VCM and one without VCM. There's definitely something different though it may be as simple as a wiring connector.

Any success finding a local or even distant rebuilder?

I'd love to hear a callout of a town which doesn't have a starter/alternator shop.
Try the "next larger" size town when you come up dry.

Hi,

Need some advice on remanufactured alternators from Denso.
I've read through the BITOG previous posts on remanufactured Alternators in general, and they reveal a lot of bad experiences.

I need an alternator replacement for my 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L with VCM.
The genuine Honda part # is:
Alternator Assembly (CSD30) (Denso)31100-RYP-A01

A Honda dealer parts department checked and unfortunately the part is on back order with no date on when it will be available.
There is a chance it may become discontinued.

So, since Denso makes these OEM Honda Alternators, I went to Densoproducts website and found the alternator:

Problem is: The new version is not available, only a remanufactured one by Denso is available.

Goal is to buy an alternator and have it last 10 years (not 10 months).
Does anyone have any experience with Denso remanufactured alternators purchased from Densoproducts website?
Are they as good as new alternators, or do they have high failure rate.

Thanks. Any advice would be appreciated.
I've had excellent service with Premier Gear products. Buy new and don't give up your OEM item as a core.

Last edited:
My 210-0609 has over 900 miles on it now and it’s growing stronger everyday as the miles accrue!

Judging from the reviews online it seems that the vast majority of Denso customers are satisfied with their reman units, at least in the short term. A remanufactured part should not be much of a compromise since the factory replaces any worn components that have failed. These units are then bench tested at the end of the rebuilding process in order to validate OE performance levels.

I've had no issues with Denso rebuilt alternators and starters. For me, availability is the issue. The supply of Denso alternators for the LS400 (and Legend) has dried up. The Denso alternator from the LS430 is almost plug-and-play (need the 430 mounting bolt and the pulley is slightly smaller).

The factory installed Denso in the Legend lasted 10 years, +300k miles.

I'd love to hear a callout of a town which doesn't have a starter/alternator shop.
They're definitely not that common anymore. I know of one - and it's still around, just checked - but it's the only one in my metro area of over 700,000 people. 😳

Yes, it does. I checked it on the Honda Dealer parts website. It fits my vehicle. But unfortunately its a remanufactured alternator.
Correct, the "RM" at the end of the part number is the giveaway.

Unfortunately, there comes a time in the vehicle's life when remanufactured is your only option unless you want to get one custom built. In a situation like this, I would rather buy a reman unit from the OE than an aftermarket supplier - even if they they are the supplier for that particular component to the OE, whose reman costs $100 more. I have learned that lesson the hard way quite a few times.

This doesn't necessarily guarantee the Denso is inferior to the Honda branded one, they could be the same for all we know and Honda is just slapping their sticker on it with a $100 price hike. But just because it has been rebuilt in the U.S.A. does not mean all the components inside are made in U.S.A. - I have pulled apart multiple "Made in U.S.A." alternators that are all cheap Chineseium on the inside.

In your situation, what I would do is take a good look at the Honda reman in person and then do the same with the Denso reman. If they are the same - like for like - go with the Denso and keep the change.

Unfortunately, there comes a time in the vehicle's life when remanufactured is your only option
Just checked alternator options from a Honda dealer and for 2014, only remanufactured is available. A 2016 can still currently get a new alternator.

Lot of people on odyclub.com have used the Denso remans and are happy with them. I'm one of those people.

If you have VCM, muzzle it.

Lot of people on odyclub.com have used the Denso remans and are happy with them. I'm one of those people.

If you have VCM, muzzle it.
Thanks. Would you care to share how long your Denso reman has been on your vehicle. Just trying to gather some data points on true examples and how long people have had them with problem free operation.

Thanks. Would you care to share how long your Denso reman has been on your vehicle. Just trying to gather some data points on true examples and how long people have had them with problem free operation.

Over the last 2-ish years, my shop has transitioned from using a local rebuilder for our starter/alternator needs to using Denso reman's sourced from WorldPac whenever possible.

The vast majority of units I receive are reman'd here in the US, specifically at a facility in Long Beach. We've seen VERY few failures.

Question: is the failed alternator covered in oil due to a leaking VCM solenoid gasket? If so, make sure to repair the leak. The Denso units come with a big red warning card in the box stating reminding the installer that there's no warranty for oil intrusion.

Back