2016 ford flex water pump and timing replacement

29 hours for labor is well over $3k in most shops. Add parts, shop supplies and tax and a $4k+ bill doesn't seem too far away. More power to those folks that endeavor to take this job on. Don't forget the specialty tools you will need to buy or rent. Good luck!

29 hours for labor is well over $3k in most shops. Add parts, shop supplies and tax and a $4k+ bill doesn't seem too far away. More power to those folks that endeavor to take this job on. Don't forget the specialty tools you will need to buy or rent. Good luck!

2016 Ford Flex Water Pump calls for 10.8 hours which is quite generous given it can be done in 5 hours if you're well versed in doing the job. The cam lock tool is cheap from Lisle, The balancer tools (remover/installer) are cheap as well (They pull & install easily compared to some engines)

2016 Ford Flex Water Pump calls for 10.8 hours which is quite generous given it can be done in 5 hours if you're well versed in doing the job. The cam lock tool is cheap from Lisle, The balancer tools (remover/installer) are cheap as well (They pull & install easily compared to some engines)
Someone said it took them 29.5 hours on this post. If the book says 10.5 hours and you say it can be done in half that, then it seems much more sane. My coworker just had the chain/guide job done on his f150 and it was $3500 at the dealer. Not exactly cheap, his truck has 130k miles. Wonder how long it takes the dealer techs to do.

Someone said it took them 29.5 hours on this post. If the book says 10.5 hours and you say it can be done in half that, then it seems much more sane. My coworker just had the chain/guide job done on his f150 and it was $3500 at the dealer. Not exactly cheap, his truck has 130k miles. Wonder how long it takes the dealer techs to do.

Those ecoboosts pay about 14 hours. That includes phasers.

I recently did a set in a 2017. Had 70K miles. I had about 9 or so hours into it cleaning everything with a plastic razor blade.

Last edited:

The real issue for a lot of people is you have a garage to do this in and another vehicle to drive while you work on this for several days or over the course of several weekends.

The job is worth doing if the vehicle is not rusted out. I will not be happy but will replace mine as the rest of my car is worth keeping. Maybe it will rot out before it needs done, who knows?

The engines and tranny are very solid. My 3.7L does not tick, knock, or burn a drop of oil in 5k intervals. Runs like a top and I have found our state police cars that have 10k idle hours to still run excellent. As much as I like my crown vics and the 4.6L v8, they would often use a little oil by that time.

Absolutly worth fixing if they start to leak.

I was the DIY that took 29.5 hours to do the WP, timing chains, coolant, thermostat and valve cover seals on the 2009 Flex. I did clarify that there was extra time required within the 29.5 total that I used to plan the installation of the timing cover because I didn't want to smear the Ford sealant. A professional would have discharged the AC and moved the hoses out of the way and saved time. I was trying to be very clear on how long this job took me, I am above average in my DIY capability, have a good set of tools, and I'm a Mechanical Design Technologist BUT I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL.

I was the DIY that took 29.5 hours to do the WP, timing chains, coolant, thermostat and valve cover seals on the 2009 Flex. I did clarify that there was extra time required within the 29.5 total that I used to plan the installation of the timing cover because I didn't want to smear the Ford sealant. A professional would have discharged the AC and moved the hoses out of the way and saved time. I was trying to be very clear on how long this job took me, I am above average in my DIY capability, have a good set of tools, and I'm a Mechanical Design Technologist BUT I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL.
Good enough. I know on my personal vehicles I do it right and take my time where needed. Sounds like you do the same. I am not a professional mechanic either. I have been doing major automotive maintenance for going on 50 years as a hobby I enjoy. I am fully equipped and just requested more specialty tools for Xmas. We will see what Santa brings.I stay away from automatic transmissions and nowadays every make requires its own software to fully diagnose, bi-directional commands and setup, repair. I have some bi-directional stuff but mostly for VW. RossTech, Autel and some others. I have some generic scanners also but if anyone truly wants to work on vehicles anymore, bring money, and get manufacturer specific tools/software. Everything is moving toward electric it seems. Cut's down quite a bit on repair. I count myself lucky as my trade involved, large DC battery banks, inverters and controllers etc. Ready for an EV down the road I suppose.

Back