Bad experiences with a particular oil brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
This is going to draw plenty fake news from biased reporters - it has already started.

I don't buy any of this.....oil is oil even if the advertising tells you differently...

Originally Posted By: shDK
All with great result..except 1 brand...Castrol . Castrol is probertly the most available oil brand here in Denmark where I live.

Bought some Castrol Edge 10w30 EP at Walmart back in March of this year. Put in the Matrix about a month ago. The dealer did the oil change. I checked the level after they did it and noticed the color was dark and had an odor to it liked used motor oil. I asked the dealer to return the remaining quart left in the jug. I noticed what was left over dark and appeared like used oil. I contacted Castrol about it and they were very concerned about my statements. They sent me a huge plastic Ziplock, prepaid usps shipping label and five coupons for Castrol oil etc. I didn't ask those by the way so that was nice of them. All I had to do was put the jug in a box. The best box I could find was a Valvoline SynPower box to put it in. They will have a lab analyze it, so the matter is still in process.

I was tempted to pour some in a container and have it analyzed myself but there was only about half a quart in the jug since the dealer overfilled a bit.

After 700 miles I noticed the car burned a half a quart of oil. Production date of oil was 2016. If the oil was tampered with it could have been used oil returned at WM or even the dealer could have put used oil in the jug/car.

Car did run fine but I just changed it out for peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
This is going to draw plenty fake news from biased reporters - it has already started.

I don't buy any of this.....oil is oil even if the advertising tells you differently...

I not sure I understand exactly what you are saying.. do you believe that I am telling a lie? Or do you mean that it was not the oil that where to blame. ? I can say that I would never construct a lie..I am not a liar. And you must have a doubtful character yourself if you think people you disagree with lie. Just because you disagree .. it is the truths. But I never said i was certain it was the oils fault.

45+ years running Pennzoil with no oil related incidents,
thumbsup2.gif

Certain well-known major brands had a reputation for forming sludge in the 70s and 80s. I didn't believe it was true, and tried them. Sure enough, I got sludge, and didn't use those again. Never had sludge with store house brands, ironically---or with any brand after about 2002..

Originally Posted By: philipp10

I not sure I understand exactly what you are saying.. do you believe that I am telling a lie? Or do you mean that it was not the oil that where to blame. ? I can say that I would never construct a lie..I am not a liar. And you must have a doubtful character yourself if you think people you disagree with lie. Just because you disagree .. it is the truths. But I never said i was certain it was the oils fault.

I didn't mean to call you liar. But perhaps the oil changes coincided with failing engine components. My claim has always been that most if not all engine failures is due to poor design, not the oil.

When i see a thread like this, the first thing through my mind is,... How would you know? I mean, i had a gorgeous 1998 Ranger V6, that sheared the oil pump drive on the way home from work one day. Should i have blamed the oil? , (which was changed religiously). I don't remember what was in it, but it was one of the major brands. How would i know? It sure settled that little V6s hash. I also had a 74 Impala that had cam, rod and lifter failures, but it never occured to me to blame the oil. Darn QS, shoulda known better... Wait ive got QSUD in my Taco right now,... and i wouldnt doubt it was in the Ranger too. Ok, no more QS for me.
See how it happens? With no basis in fact at all... How would you know?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: PimTac

To the OP, having that many bad experiences with one brand of oil sounds astounding. You should have stopped using Castrol surely after the second incident.

Agree. Why would anyone give it a 3rd test?

I never said all the cars where mine..or that I bought the oil and did the oil change. I said I had bad experiences. Only 2 of the cars where mine.

I saw that movie too.

"Does your dog bite? No. I thought you said your dog does not bite. That is not my dog."

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I used valvoline back in the 80s and early 90s. I lost many camshafts to that oil. Oe ones and aftermarket ones. Many in my small block chevies,1 in my 302 ford and 2 in 318,340 dodges.

Small block Chevies would have lost their camshafts no matter what you ran.

Mobil 4T motorcycle oil last week. POS bottle cap leaked about half a litre all over the floor.

I suppose that wasn't really the oil's fault, but the cap is part of the package.

Last edited:
Sunflower oil as assembly lube: Very bad experience on attempting disassembly.

(Don't recall the brand, but it was in Chinese, which isn't generally popular on here)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
I used valvoline back in the 80s and early 90s. I lost many camshafts to that oil. Oe ones and aftermarket ones. Many in my small block chevies,1 in my 302 ford and 2 in 318,340 dodges.

Lmao.
grin.gif

I don't ever recall having any oil related issues. And, I've used a ton of different brands, both name-brand and store-brand. The only issues I've ever had were 2 Fram oil filters becoming stuck even though I didn't tighten them that much - the first was an orange can about 4 years ago (which my dad got off using a screwdriver), and currently the Ultra on my truck is on it's second OCI because I couldn't get it off. Of course I know better than to say Fram sucks generally speaking - I know they make quality filters despite how much hate they get - however, I will probably not use any more of them after these incidents of them becoming impossible to remove even though I know I never over-tightened them.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

Lmao.
grin.gif

Every stupid GM taxi at the time got a new cam at some point, and it didn't matter who was the operator or what oil was being run. They all wore the things down to nothing better than a fancy dowel. As far as I'm concerned, it's GM's fault/responsibility. I never saw one go through a second camshaft. It was always one, and not anywhere near the end of the taxi's life cycle. Replace it at roughly 100,000 miles, and it would still be fine 500,000 miles later.

Wife's new Chevy equinox calls for DEXOS 5W-30. I was buying mobil 1 at Walmart, and always ended up about a quart low by the time the oil change interval was up. Oil also appeared dark on the stick.

Switched to Cenpeco 5W-30 full synthetic, oil looks great at the end of the interval and no usage.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
All with great result..except 1 brand...Castrol . Castrol is probertly the most available oil brand here in Denmark where I live.

Bought some Castrol Edge 10w30 EP at Walmart back in March of this year. Put in the Matrix about a month ago. The dealer did the oil change. I checked the level after they did it and noticed the color was dark and had an odor to it liked used motor oil. I asked the dealer to return the remaining quart left in the jug. I noticed what was left over dark and appeared like used oil. I contacted Castrol about it and they were very concerned about my statements. They sent me a huge plastic Ziplock, prepaid usps shipping label and five coupons for Castrol oil etc. I didn't ask those by the way so that was nice of them. All I had to do was put the jug in a box. The best box I could find was a Valvoline SynPower box to put it in. They will have a lab analyze it, so the matter is still in process.

I was tempted to pour some in a container and have it analyzed myself but there was only about half a quart in the jug since the dealer overfilled a bit.

After 700 miles I noticed the car burned a half a quart of oil. Production date of oil was 2016. If the oil was tampered with it could have been used oil returned at WM or even the dealer could have put used oil in the jug/car.

Car did run fine but I just changed it out for peace of mind.

It is a good lesson to check the oil bottles carefully before we buy them. A couple of weeks ago, was at Walmart looking at the oil, I noticed there was Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 gallon jug that was oozing oil at the base of the oil cap. Now, leaking and oozing new oil is one thing, but, it caught my eye because the oil looked DIRTY. Looking closely at the cap, I could see the tabs were all broken off. Took off the cap to check, sure enough, foil seal was gone and the oil was PITCH BLACK.
I went and found the gentleman working there, and told him about it. His reaction was one of AGAIN, he said there had been one the week before.

Now, we are told to bring back our used oil to Walmart to recycle, but, it is not suppose to end up on the shelf and be sold again.

Was it an Walmart employee that mixed up the returned used oil that was suppose to be recycled and put it back on the shelf by mistake? Or was it someone who bought the oil, changed their oil, and returned it to the customer service for a refund, and the Walmart employee didn't catch it?
Either way, used oil shouldn't be on the shelf.

Lesson is, check the bottles when we buy oil, folks!

Every stupid GM taxi at the time got a new cam at some point, and it didn't matter who was the operator or what oil was being run. They all wore the things down to nothing better than a fancy dowel. As far as I'm concerned, it's GM's fault/responsibility. I never saw one go through a second camshaft. It was always one, and not anywhere near the end of the taxi's life cycle. Replace it at roughly 100,000 miles, and it would still be fine 500,000 miles later.

Do you happen to know if the '89 Camaro 305 TBI in my signature was one of the affected engines?

TT-330 By 89, I believe they had the cams made correctly--lack of hardening was the problem as I remember. Had a 74 Chevy 350 say bye-bye-bye to the cam too
Steve

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Do you happen to know if the '89 Camaro 305 TBI in my signature was one of the affected engines?

That's borderline, and could very well be past the point of troubles. The newest of the Chevy small blocks we had in that particular era were a 1986 and a 1991. The 1986 had a cam replacement, and the 1991 lasted hundreds of thousands of kilometres with no replacement.

So, you might very well be in the clear, but if you're not, at least the parts aspect of it is very cheap. I'm not sure how much labour would be involved in a Camaro. The repairs on a Caprice or Impala could be knocked off in an afternoon fairly easily. In any event, the symptoms were generally just a worsening and worsening of power, as the cam got flatter and flatter.

As Steve indicated, it went back a long ways. Taxis dating to the 1970s had the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back