Baby boomers and late life divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Claud
The pre boomer generations didn't throw stuff away when it wasn't working properly, they found out what was wrong and fixed it. That was a different era, and a different moral code back then....

Claud.

No offense,

But how many of those death traps cars you see on the roads?
How long 'till a total overhaul of the engine? before 50k-100k miles?

And I really like electric wires with just a cloth around them. The 220V "pinch" must be healthy for me.

I think we kind of look at the WWII-generation with glorifying eyes...
It was still a consumption society.
It's just that the better built/more repairable things survived.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
The pre boomer generations didn't throw stuff away when it wasn't working properly, they found out what was wrong and fixed it. That was a different era, and a different moral code back then....

Claud.

No offense,

But how many of those death traps cars you see on the roads?
How long 'till a total overhaul of the engine? before 50k-100k miles?

And I really like electric wires with just a cloth around them. The 220V "pinch" must be healthy for me.

I think we kind of look at the WWII-generation with glorifying eyes...
It was still a consumption society.
It's just that the better built/more repairable things survived.

The machines and technology weren't as good as today's, no argument with that. But human relationships seemed to be made of much sterner stuff, that was my point.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
IMO, the only reason that people divorce after many years of marriage is that something was fundamentally wrong from the start.

That's simply not so. Post menopause, 2/3 completely lose interest to the point where even simple affection is gone. The change is often dramatic and difficult for men to accept. Contrast that with the 15% of men who lose libido at the same age. As I mentioned above, late life divorce is overwhelmingly due to female behavior and the husband unwilling to accept a complete lack of affection and celibacy.

We are hormone driven creatures, when those hormones completely and totally disappear, as often happens in menopause, the result is dramatic and marriage often suffers. Female HRT (hormone replacement therapy) can change the situation, but it's not appropriate for all, and many simply have no interest in it.

Remember that healthy men lose testosterone slowly as they age, about 1% per year, and naturally higher testosterone men will still have high levels in old age. Testosterone is an amazingly powerful hormone, it's the drive behind men everywhere.

Having been in a type of leadership position to observe many couples over a period of a decade or more, I can tell you that I have yet to see a marriage that was 100% trouble free. So no, fdcg27 it isn't true. Sure there are some marriages that start off rocky and everyone can see it will be done within a decade. We are talking about a near lifetime of marriage and then calling it quits.

Despite all the love, you still have two separate humans who have a mind and will of their own, trying to make a go of things. In former days, marriage was a means of survival in a harsh world, grow a family and create industry. With society's current prosperity and law configurations, this is no longer the case.

Cujet is dead on. If you take those issues with hormones and couple it with our current societal setup, Marriage has a tough road to hoe. Women have been enabled by law to walk away from marriage at any time and stage of the marriage and actually prosper financially, the likes that have never been seen in history. This has relegated men as disposable, a paycheck. From day 1 of marriage there is the potential of total loss of ...everything for a man, and women know it and the ideas are continually being reinforced to them.

Yet, for the large part, men still seek marriage, still seek to find someone to provide for despite the huge risk.

I have got to say Smokescreen, I think you've hit the nail on the head. In the past, the divorce rate was muted by survival necessities, now not so much.

When I was preparing to retire from the military, I let my then wife know I would be taking some time to prepare for a new career before working again. This apparently interfered with her post-military plan of working me like a rented mule until I dropped dead in the traces. She timed her filing for divorce to have it final just prior to my separating from the service. Since she had quit her job previously, she and her lawyer planned on her getting alimony and child support based upon being a non-working spouse and my relatively high military pay. In addition she would, by law, receive half of my military retirement. Fortunately, delays in finalizing the divorce resulted in it being final after we both had relatively low paying teaching jobs resulting in no alimony and reasonable child support.

I have heard from military members whose spouse had timed it correctly. Attempts to have alimony and child support reset based upon post retirement lower earnings were met with unsympathetic judges. These poor individuals ended up in virtual slavery, while their ex-spouses lived the high life.

You are the rarity ArrestMeRedZ, a single grain of sugar in a sand filled beach- and my hat is off to you.

By no means am I a woman hater. I have been married for over 20 years. I just see reality for what it is.

What is strange is that in western culture we are brought up to understand that women are more fair, sensitive, caring creatures in comparison to men. My life experience has shown the exact opposite. I have seen dozens and dozens of men left betrayed, broken and hurting after being ripped to shreds by planned, treasonous divorce....whose sole purpose was to inflict deliberate emotional pain and extract money. The instances occurring to men far out number the reverse by an unbelievable amount.

Rare is the woman that isn't cold, detached from feeling and calculating, and it manifests itself when it comes to divorce. Our laws shape them this way. When you find that one women that isn't this way fellas, hang on to her because she is a keeper and rare!

Last edited:

Claud.

As others have more aptly pointed (Cujet) out..things have changed, and not for the worst.

In the old days the woman was in so many ways treated like a second class citizen, verbally and sometimes physiclly abused. That's not speculation, that is fact. When one party wishes to end the marriage,,,that's the way it should be. I believe young folks should avail themselves to counceling. But older folks..naw.

Guess it depends on who you are.

For many, instead of treating BOTH as first class citizens, we have swapped treating the woman as 2nd class to treating the man as 2nd class.

We don't care about fidelity anymore. Someone can have an affair and then file for a no-fault divorce.

Someone can file citing "mental cruelty" but never have any evidence. Just say I'm unhappy, so he must be mean, and give me the kids, I'm their mom.

I'm not saying we need to return to 1950. But if we believe in equality, then we need to actually practice. There is no gender based moral high ground, not for men, nor for women.

Originally Posted By: Al

Claud.

As others have more aptly pointed (Cujet) out..things have changed, and not for the worst.

In the old days the woman was in so many ways treated like a second class citizen, verbally and sometimes physiclly abused. That's not speculation, that is fact. When one party wishes to end the marriage,,,that's the way it should be. I believe young folks should avail themselves to counceling. But older folks..naw.

Many others have already touched on the points that I think are the reasons behind it. But there's more...

This is 2018...not the 50's or even the 80's for that matter. Society IMHO has changed more in the past 25 years than 100 years. As much as folks may not want to admit it marriage makes less sense than ever. Gender roles have changed drastically. Even though marriage made sense when the baby boomers got married, they've changed, their wives changes and society changed. Don't get me wrong - I think marriage is a wonderful thing if its a good marriage and is especially important if kids will be involved.

When I was younger I used to think I'd eventually meet someone and get married in my 20s, have kids, etc. I'm 30 now with no current prospects of marriage. To be honest most women are actually men just with different anatomy...many are not even women anymore.

I'll say this to the younger guys here - do not get married without a prenup, especially if you are a bit older and have some financial security. Ever. Just don't do it. Yes you may love her to death but they are human and not sinless (and neither are you). She can come home one day and tell you she's unhappy, leaving you for another guy and will proceed to financially destroy you. She can become an alcoholic and financially ruin you with debt. You think it won't happen to you but I've seen it happen to the happiest of young couples. You've been warned. If she loves you enough and isn't for your money and has no plans to ever leave you then she shouldn't take an issue to a prenup. We have insurance for car wrecks. We have life insurance policies, testaments/wills, but no plan if the marriage doesn't work out? In fact, a women should love a prenup because you're truly treating her as an equal and not being chauvinistic in assuming she needs you take care of her no matter what.

Last edited:
My wife and I started dating in 1962 .. been through a lot of "stages"
It ain't "sunshine & lollipops" all the time but with a little work it keeps running not too bad (like a 51 Ford)
We have (and have always had) a joint bank account - 1 account, no his/hers on the side
I have become aware that "LOVE" is a verb
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
IMO, the only reason that people divorce after many years of marriage is that something was fundamentally wrong from the start.

That's simply not so. Post menopause, 2/3 completely lose interest to the point where even simple affection is gone. The change is often dramatic and difficult for men to accept. Contrast that with the 15% of men who lose libido at the same age. As I mentioned above, late life divorce is overwhelmingly due to female behavior and the husband unwilling to accept a complete lack of affection and celibacy.

We are hormone driven creatures, when those hormones completely and totally disappear, as often happens in menopause, the result is dramatic and marriage often suffers. Female HRT (hormone replacement therapy) can change the situation, but it's not appropriate for all, and many simply have no interest in it.

Remember that healthy men lose testosterone slowly as they age, about 1% per year, and naturally higher testosterone men will still have high levels in old age. Testosterone is an amazingly powerful hormone, it's the drive behind men everywhere.

Having been in a type of leadership position to observe many couples over a period of a decade or more, I can tell you that I have yet to see a marriage that was 100% trouble free. So no, fdcg27 it isn't true. Sure there are some marriages that start off rocky and everyone can see it will be done within a decade. We are talking about a near lifetime of marriage and then calling it quits.

Despite all the love, you still have two separate humans who have a mind and will of their own, trying to make a go of things. In former days, marriage was a means of survival in a harsh world, grow a family and create industry. With society's current prosperity and law configurations, this is no longer the case.

Cujet is dead on. If you take those issues with hormones and couple it with our current societal setup, Marriage has a tough road to hoe. Women have been enabled by law to walk away from marriage at any time and stage of the marriage and actually prosper financially, the likes that have never been seen in history. This has relegated men as disposable, a paycheck. From day 1 of marriage there is the potential of total loss of ...everything for a man, and women know it and the ideas are continually being reinforced to them.

Yet, for the large part, men still seek marriage, still seek to find someone to provide for despite the huge risk.

Of course every marriage has its rocky periods. It's up to both people involved to get through them and not let pride and anger get in the way.
It's also very tempting to blame the woman and decry her as mercenary or simply uninterested in physical affection.
In a healthy marriage, neither of these are a factor.
WRT to menopause and what it brings, I've not seen any real changes.
Yes, there were a rough couple of years, but I expected them and gave my wife due care during that time.
In a healthy marriage, each must be prepared to give when needed.
You say that you were involved in what you describe as a leadership position in something involving couples, whatever that means.
That being the case, you should consider that you weren't observing couples in happy relationships but rather the reverse.
Married more than thirty four years and enjoying our now adult sons, our grandson as well as one another.
We made our sons together, and I think that has very serious meaning.
Sorry it doesn't work that way for everyone, but then we seem to live in an age of adults who are as much ruled by their momentary emotions as are children.

Quote:
When I was younger I used to think I'd eventually meet someone and get married in my 20s, have kids, etc. I'm 30 now with no current prospects of marriage. To be honest most women are actually men just with different anatomy...many are not even women anymore.

Lots of quality single women out there, staw away from bars and clubs.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Someone can have an affair and then file for a no-fault divorce.

Someone can file citing "mental cruelty" but never have any evidence. Just say I'm unhappy, so he must be mean, and give me the kids, I'm their mom.

Its called no-fault divorce. Either party can petition for divorce. As it should be.
I know you know little about Family Court. Your statement about "give me the kids" may be stated by the mom...but there is no guarantee that it will be ajudicated in this manner. My daughter spent $50K+, trying to get the kids..ex-lied about her ability to parent. He lost his trophy wife (he cheated on her) and was vindictive.

Last edited:

Claud.

If you start a relationship and are thinking you are going fix someone, it ain't going to be pretty. This is not morals or generation specific.

I think you are right.... And Claud is right in a way as well...

One can't "fix" another person. True.

However, our society has grown all too accepting that if something or someone does not make us "happy"... Then it can be or that person can be tossed away..with no thought.

And yes there are times where someone cannot be tolerated because of what they do. Like my father who's drinking and behavior related to that became unbearable. However, there's a world of difference between that and someone who just gets bored, tired of, lackadaisical in their relationship with the other person, and unwilling to do anything in order to address the circumstances or doing anything to help make their situation better.

Again you both are right about what you both stated. You both are correct in my opinion.

OK, there is only a 99.44% chance she'll get them.

Around here, unless she's turning tricks an snorting coke in front of the kids, she can have an affair and get them.

I'm not saying fathers don't get custody. I'm saying it isn't an even distribution. Since there is no moral high ground held by either men or women, if the results are not close to 50:50, then something is wrong with the system.

If character doesn't matter, as it doesn't in a no-fault divorce case, then isn't that part of the problem?

Look, I'm not against NFD, just against how it's done.

If someone wants to leave, they should never be held against their will.

However, if that person is UNILATERALLY breaking the vow, the leave with 1/2 the debt and their personal items. It's no different than quitting any other endeavor. You don't get to keep your desk, company car, etc when you quit a job. If someone quits a marriage, they don't take 1/2 the assets and the kids. It's not fair to the abandoned and/or betrayed spouse.

By the same token, if someone is betrayed, prove it in court. If they claim abuse, prove it in court. Society needs this to be public record so they are warned about this shady, untrustworthy person.

But just saying I quit,and getting 1/2 the stuff and the kids is a travesty to innocent, betrayed spouses, male or female.

Someone can have an affair and then file for a no-fault divorce.

Its called no-fault divorce. Either party can petition for divorce. As it should be.
I know you know little about Family Court. Your statement about "give me the kids" may be stated by the mom...but there is no guarantee that it will be ajudicated in this manner. My daughter spent $50K+, trying to get the kids..ex-lied about her ability to parent. He lost his trophy wife (he cheated on her) and was vindictive.

Last edited:
OK, there is only a 99.44% chance she'll get them.
If character doesn't matter, as it doesn't in a no-fault divorce case, then isn't that part of the problem?

However, if that person is UNILATERALLY breaking the vow, the leave with 1/2 the debt and their personal items. It's no different than quitting any other endeavor. You don't get to keep your desk, company car, etc when you quit a job. If someone quits a marriage, they don't take 1/2 the assets and the kids. It's not fair to the abandoned and/or betrayed spouse.

Since when is life "fair"? Plan ahead! Bad decisions lead to life's "unfairness"

Family court is not a trial. Its a he said/she said. There is no way to prove ":character" or lack of it. The judge listens and then makes a decision. It has to be 50/50 split of $$$ bc (as I said) neither party can prove anything. Again..the law is the law. If you are worried about it do a prenup.

Your implication is that men usually get screwed. Probably an opinion based on your personal supposition that women are usually "bad" or somehow inferior to men. I was once like you in my younger days.

Last edited:
Like Sister Consolata told us in first grade, Life's not fair, get used to it.

Nothing better than a good marriage, nothing worse than a bad one...and I've had both. Thankfully I'm knee-deep in a wonderful marriage and it's amazing. Lots of work, lots of compromise, lots of putting someone else's needs first, but it all pays off.

I came into this marriage with HER having a much larger retirement account than me. A pre-nup was never discussed but I would have had NO issue with signing one. We pool our resources and had some interesting discussions about beneficiaries of our wills since we both have kids.

Life and relationships can get messy.

Two groups of people in the world.

One group believes that you stay in a marriage come heck or high water, and that it is a sin of the highest order to believe differently.

The other believes that if it is clear that the marriage is not working and both are unhappy then the thing to do that is best for all involved, including kids is to divorce, amicably if at all possible.

These groups cannot and do not mix as both believe their approach is the one and only correct approach. It really isn't worth debating between the groups.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Two groups of people in the world.

One group believes that you stay in a marriage come heck or high water, and that it is a sin of the highest order to believe differently.

The other believes that if it is clear that the marriage is not working and both are unhappy then the thing to do that is best for all involved, including kids is to divorce, amicably if at all possible.

These groups cannot and do not mix as both believe their approach is the one and only correct approach. It really isn't worth debating between the groups.

This will make it Black and White. (or binary code for you technical people)

World and People don't work like that.

Since when is life "fair"? Plan ahead! Bad decisions lead to life's "unfairness"

Family court is not a trial. Its a he said/she said. There is no way to prove ":character" or lack of it. The judge listens and then makes a decision. It has to be 50/50 split of $$$ bc (as I said) neither party can prove anything. Again..the law is the law. If you are worried about it do a prenup.

Your implication is that men usually get screwed. Probably an opinion based on your personal supposition that women are usually "bad" or somehow inferior to men. I was once like you in my younger days.

I agree with the plan ahead, pre-nup.

Again, I can only say that I don't believe there is any moral high ground so many times. If you insist on putting words in my mouth and characterize my argument otherwise, feel free. However, understand that you are not being honest about what I'm saying or believe.

Men and women each choose divorce when they believe they have an advantage. Women have the relative advantage when marriages are short duration, say under 10 years and there are children involved. They will get the kids in most case, even if he goes after them as I did.

When my daughter had a say, she came to live with me. Not because I was the Disney parent, because I was the more strict, stable parent who she could count on.

Courts don't look at that sort of thing. At least not around here. Maybe your circuit is different.

Men choose divorce later in life. When the kids have left, when her looks have faded and he's in the prime of his career. He perceives a relative advantage.

NEITHER (as I have always said) men nor women as a group are morally superior to the other.

Let me repeat that, NEITHER men nor women, as a group, are morally superior, one over the other.

It's not just men getting screwed, it's the children too. When courts don't care if the parent seeking custody is honest, keeps his/her word and so on, both the non-custodial parent and the children lose.

I would say to men, be careful who you choose. Just because you choose a woman you meet at church doesn't mean she will actually live up to the values she confesses.

That doesn't preclude the idea that there are just as many men who are equally duplicitous. I just don't date men, so I couldn't tell you about such men. I don't keep such men in my circle of friends, and so on.

Doesn't mean they don't exist. Doesn't mean I think that women are somehow less trustworthy.

I have always contended that as a group, there is no moral valid claim to moral high ground based on gender.

But apparently, that is unclear to some who read what I write.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back