I am getting divorce

Doing alright. Basically it was a slow drift toward an iceberg and it is finally happening. I don't want to post too much on hate or blame here, and I've done enough with counseling, psychologist, and lawyers to know that I'm actually coming out ok mentally and financially, and have a good custody arrangement, and I'm not in a bad relationship with my ex (she's a good mom just a bad wife) and our kids will have little to no impact. I would say this is the result that most divorcee could dream of and better than in a broken marriage to someone I cannot trust in my life again as a spouse.

So, some serious questions for the wise men and women on BITOG:

1) Assuming I'm practically having an arrangement that's full custody (ex live in walking distance and kids go between us, but prefer to stay with me since I'm actually doing most of the heavy lifting on raising them in the past and will be in the future), the workload will still be about the same as being "married". How do people in situation like me find time for possible future relationship?

2) I'm satisfied being single, I do feel like if I want to date again I would be able to get someone I want. However there may be compatibility match in 2 more dimensions with 2 more kids involved (I have 2, and potential candidates may have either more, want more, or are younger and won't be mature enough to understand), how do people actually deal with this? (I look about 15 years younger than my actual age, even to other people with baby faces I look about 10 years younger).

3) Let's say I find staying single with 2 kids a better choice in my life, and have way to satisfy my need without having to invest in a relationship, my main concern will be if I'll turn into an old sad man as I age without someone I have to negotiate with in life (marriage or live together girlfriend would be about constant negotiation), and loses communication skill, turning into the equivalent of a "crazy". How do people avoid this? Is it worth going through all the dating, relationship, negotiation, etc just to not turn crazy?

4) Financially, I have a good nested egg even after divorce (I actually come out ahead, way ahead, in the divorce), that I can live well and pass down to my kids, and I can spend my time in career, workout, travel, etc. I don't know if guarding it too well is going to work if I were to spend my life with someone else again, and if I do that, it wouldn't make a good future committment. Asset planning would be complicated as $ is always the elephant in the room between step mom / dad's girlfriend vs step children. How do you guys deal with it?

Any order for identity information from any court would likely be obeyed by any forum to avoid any further action and any efforts to resist any order will cost money, would be my guess.

I don't mind people knowing me knows. If there's a court order feel free, but they can just politely ask me and I'll give it to them. My question is more about how to balance raising kids vs new relation vs staying sane.

1. Don't date until the kids are grown (18 or so).

2. Stay satisfied. Don't complicate things. Put your kids first.

3. You won't turn into a sad old man by the time your kids grow up....unless you choose to. Life isn't over.

4. Seek financial counseling with a professional.

WIsh you the best.

My father had a similar arrangement with his second wife and their two kids but one ended up living with him FT (my half-brother). From what I saw, prior to his passing, he had a great relationship with his ex-wife and kids did not suffer as badly as my sister and I. The less drama between you and the ex-wife the better especially while living in close proximity. About 3 yrs after the divorce he had a girlfriend for 20 yrs. He was never going to remarry and she didn't want that either. Kiddos are numero uno at all times. Remember this when a significant other says they want you two to move somewhere else.

Doing alright. Basically it was a slow drift toward an iceberg and it is finally happening. I don't want to post too much on hate or blame here, and I've done enough with counseling, psychologist, and lawyers to know that I'm actually coming out ok mentally and financially, and have a good custody arrangement, and I'm not in a bad relationship with my ex (she's a good mom just a bad wife) and our kids will have little to no impact. I would say this is the result that most divorcee could dream of and better than in a broken marriage to someone I cannot trust in my life again as a spouse.

So, some serious questions for the wise men and women on BITOG:

1) Assuming I'm practically having an arrangement that's full custody (ex live in walking distance and kids go between us, but prefer to stay with me since I'm actually doing most of the heavy lifting on raising them in the past and will be in the future), the workload will still be about the same as being "married". How do people in situation like me find time for possible future relationship?

2) I'm satisfied being single, I do feel like if I want to date again I would be able to get someone I want. However there may be compatibility match in 2 more dimensions with 2 more kids involved (I have 2, and potential candidates may have either more, want more, or are younger and won't be mature enough to understand), how do people actually deal with this? (I look about 15 years younger than my actual age, even to other people with baby faces I look about 10 years younger).

3) Let's say I find staying single with 2 kids a better choice in my life, and have way to satisfy my need without having to invest in a relationship, my main concern will be if I'll turn into an old sad man as I age without someone I have to negotiate with in life (marriage or live together girlfriend would be about constant negotiation), and loses communication skill, turning into the equivalent of a "crazy". How do people avoid this? Is it worth going through all the dating, relationship, negotiation, etc just to not turn crazy?

4) Financially, I have a good nested egg even after divorce (I actually come out ahead, way ahead, in the divorce), that I can live well and pass down to my kids, and I can spend my time in career, workout, travel, etc. I don't know if guarding it too well is going to work if I were to spend my life with someone else again, and if I do that, it wouldn't make a good future committment. Asset planning would be complicated as $ is always the elephant in the room between step mom / dad's girlfriend vs step children. How do you guys deal with it?
You'll want to find a dating site or someone who either has kids or can deal with kids. A friend of mine since middle school ALWAYS goes for the ladies that have kids. He's not a kid person nor wants to be a parent. He's repeatedly going through relationships about oh every five years. Her kids get big they don't listen to him a fight ensues rinse and repeat. I'm a dating train wreck and am told I'm way too picky. I've probably missed the boat at this point. Good luck

Dont know your exact situation but it may be a while until you feel ready to date again.
it was for me. Lost a lot of my remaining dating years that way.

Reactions: wlk
My quick advice is to have a structured time between mom and dad for the kids. You date when it's mom's turn to have the kids overnight.

Wish you the best of luck. I got divorced in 1991, and am still single. Had many girl friends since then.
I actually had one move in with me for a couple years. Bought her a nice ring, and intended to tie the knot.

Then I realized she was a money grabber and had a very poor credit history. Just wanted a free place to live and let me pay all the bills.
Let her use my credit card for a South Korea trip to visit her Daughter. That cost me big time. I got rid of her. I did allow her to take the cat when we split up. :D

Then I let one slip away, that I should have taken to keep. We were friends more than lovers and got along great. We went fishing about every weekend. She moved to WA, where her family lives. Even my best friend asked, sure you want to let her slip away? I did and kind of regret it. Anyway, I wish you the best.

1-4, your kids will be impacted.

keep your snake in your pants.

good luck.
On the middle one, once things settle down, why do that? Let the freak flag fly. Let us all live vicariously through OP

And seriously no I don't know what a divorce is like, but have a bunch of friends who have been through it. Life isn't over.

And I have had my wife leave me and take my son, so I do know what some of the pain is like.

On the middle one, once things settle down, why do that? Let the freak flag fly. Let us all live vicariously through OP

And seriously no I don't know what a divorce is like, but have a bunch of friends who have been through it. Life isn't over.

And I have had my wife leave me and take my son, so I do know what some of the pain is like.
I had a lot of casual fun the first year that I was separated.

Seriously, if a person is no longer married, they are not doing anything bad trying to get themselves back on track and to feel good.

I see it like when I was young in 2004 and my employer had lay offs. Our director said you should not feel bad nor guilty you are still here.

I know it’s crazy but if it were me I would in fact look for someone much younger.

Again I would put the kids first, but still try to normalize my own life…this isn’t coming from someone who knows, rather thoughts about the subject…

I had a lot of casual fun, after my divorce. Sat down one night and listed them, slightly over 50 women.
Not bragging or proud of my past. It just is, what it is.

There was only one that I actually loved, but she only liked me, for what I had to offer. That sucked.

Back