Are there a lot of Rich BITOGers?

I’m not rich and I’m not poor I’d say I’m in the middle or near it at least for my age group and my situation of living at home still and everything like that. I can buy things comfortably and still have money left over to pay my required things like insurance and registration when it’s due because that’s the only thing I pay and that’s probably part of the reason why I am comfortable where I am. I also have money going into my retirement and that doesn’t hurt me either as I still make a good amount after that deduction and tax deductions from my paycheck. I’m really thankful I don’t have to pay for anything else but I would be able to do it if I was. Now it could not be huge purchases like that would require a significant payment for example a house especially not right now because of the increase in price of them. I’m thankful that I have what I have. And I’m extremely grateful for everyone that helps me get what I have as well even though I don’t ask usually and definitely don’t expect. I drive old cars by choice I could get something newer I just choose not too because as a mechanic my comfort zone for personal cars is for older ones because they are easier for me to work on. Also I have tool payments to make and always pay extra on them by a significant amount because I want to keep it to a minimum but still do need tools and of course I’m guilty of buying wants as far as tools go too but I think just about anyone that buys tools is. But I pay for them each week comfortably. I could go and pay the entire bill now. I have never exceeded an amount to where I could not comfortably pay it off if I had too.

And I would never judge anyone ever by what car they drive if it’s brand new or 50 years old or whatever. Especially since I love old cars I’m happy to see people driving them but I certainly don’t look down on people with new cars maybe they needed a new car or wanted it and were able to get it or maybe they just got what they could afford. Sure I don’t care for new cars but I don’t judge. I used too think people who had new cars were uneducated but now I realize it’s just simply not true and they are part of what keeps me in a job too as I mainly am working on newer stuff. And I don’t judge by appearance either a car may look horrible but run great and get someone where they need to go and back and that is what matters. My cars are no where near perfect but they get me where I need to go and are all paid for. The four that are mine which are the beetle, Escape and both trucks are all paid for and were paid for by me with my own money. I bought them all straight out. Now they didn’t cost a lot either the most expensive one which was the Beetle I gave $1600 for the least expensive being the 1990 truck which I gave $650 for.

When I still in elementary school I remember everyone was starting to get things like phones, DS game systems back when they came out and iPod touches and everything and I wanted one so badly because I was being judged for not having one but my family just couldn’t afford it at the time and honestly I’m glad I didn’t have one because when I was a kid I was rough on electronics and really all they were was a popularity thing at least that’s what I think. I still got judged through my 8th grade year because I didn’t have a smart phone I had a basic phone and I told everyone well be grateful for what you have but my family just can’t afford smartphones right now. Then as I was going into 9th grade I got a smartphone and the judging stopped. It wasn’t the iPhone I wanted but I understood my parents could not afford or justify that for me at that time but they always made a point to try and get me what I wanted or close and I appreciated that. And at that time we were struggling and of course I was not working then so I didn’t pay for anything. Now I eventually got all those things by the time they were starting to lose popularity but I still eventually got them. Actually still have all of them just don’t use them as they are all outdated now. And I feel that not having them then made me understand better about being appreciative of what you have and not what others have.

So I’m not rich but I’m not poor either. I’m just grateful for what I have and that I am able to live comfortably. I’ve seen a little of the lower side in my family but we have never been rich we have always been towards the middle mainly except that time when we didn’t have a whole lot but were still getting by.

Glad I got to share my point of view on this. Sorry if it’s a long post. Growing up and still to this day my dad always says “A fool and his money go two separate ways” and I believe that. Don’t buy what you can’t afford but get what you can afford and appreciate that.

I’m not rich and I’m not poor I’d say I’m in the middle or near it at least for my age group and my situation of living at home still and everything like that. I can buy things comfortably and still have money left over to pay my required things like insurance and registration when it’s due because that’s the only thing I pay and that’s probably part of the reason why I am comfortable where I am. I also have money going into my retirement and that doesn’t hurt me either as I still make a good amount after that deduction and tax deductions from my paycheck. I’m really thankful I don’t have to pay for anything else but I would be able to do it if I was. Now it could not be huge purchases like that would require a significant payment for example a house especially not right now because of the increase in price of them. I’m thankful that I have what I have. And I’m extremely grateful for everyone that helps me get what I have as well even though I don’t ask usually and definitely don’t expect. I drive old cars by choice I could get something newer I just choose not too because as a mechanic my comfort zone for personal cars is for older ones because they are easier for me to work on. Also I have tool payments to make and always pay extra on them by a significant amount because I want to keep it to a minimum but still do need tools and of course I’m guilty of buying wants as far as tools go too but I think just about anyone that buys tools is. But I pay for them each week comfortably. I could go and pay the entire bill now. I have never exceeded an amount to where I could not comfortably pay it off if I had too.

And I would never judge anyone ever by what car they drive if it’s brand new or 50 years old or whatever. Especially since I love old cars I’m happy to see people driving them but I certainly don’t look down on people with new cars maybe they needed a new car or wanted it and were able to get it or maybe they just got what they could afford. Sure I don’t care for new cars but I don’t judge. I used too think people who had new cars were uneducated but now I realize it’s just simply not true and they are part of what keeps me in a job too as I mainly am working on newer stuff. And I don’t judge by appearance either a car may look horrible but run great and get someone where they need to go and back and that is what matters. My cars are no where near perfect but they get me where I need to go and are all paid for. The four that are mine which are the beetle, Escape and both trucks are all paid for and were paid for by me with my own money. I bought them all straight out. Now they didn’t cost a lot either the most expensive one which was the Beetle I gave $1600 for the least expensive being the 1990 truck which I gave $650 for.

When I still in elementary school I remember everyone was starting to get things like phones, DS game systems back when they came out and iPod touches and everything and I wanted one so badly because I was being judged for not having one but my family just couldn’t afford it at the time and honestly I’m glad I didn’t have one because when I was a kid I was rough on electronics and really all they were was a popularity thing at least that’s what I think. I still got judged through my 8th grade year because I didn’t have a smart phone I had a basic phone and I told everyone well be grateful for what you have but my family just can’t afford smartphones right now. Then as I was going into 9th grade I got a smartphone and the judging stopped. It wasn’t the iPhone I wanted but I understood my parents could not afford or justify that for me at that time but they always made a point to try and get me what I wanted or close and I appreciated that. And at that time we were struggling and of course I was not working then so I didn’t pay for anything. Now I eventually got all those things by the time they were starting to lose popularity but I still eventually got them. Actually still have all of them just don’t use them as they are all outdated now. And I feel that not having them then made me understand better about being appreciative of what you have and not what others have.

So I’m not rich but I’m not poor either. I’m just grateful for what I have and that I am able to live comfortably. I’ve seen a little of the lower side in my family but we have never been rich we have always been towards the middle mainly except that time when we didn’t have a whole lot but were still getting by.

Glad I got to share my point of view on this. Sorry if it’s a long post. Growing up and still to this day my dad always says “A fool and his money go two separate ways” and I believe that. Don’t buy what you can’t afford but get what you can afford and appreciate that.
@AutoMechanic , your strong strong work ethic will carry you a long way. For that, you are a rich man.

I am probably on the lower end of median income and net worth spectrum here on this forum, it seems in life I end up either feeling like the people I am around feel I am doing really well, or doing poorly lol, never similar to them. I never fit in it seems.
Dont be discouraged!

The moral of the story is you cant judge someone by their older practical vehicle they drive

This is so true - when I was a kid, we would go to farm sales, as my dad would look for good deals on used farm equipment. We saw an older gentleman dressed in overalls bid on a couple things that my dad was bidding on. My dad stopped bidding when this older gentleman started bidding. Later he asked if I knew who that guy was that started bidding against him? I had no clue, but figured that he was a farmer looking for a bargain on equipment. Dad told me he owned the second largest construction company in the state of Iowa and at that time in the 70s was worth north of $100 million.

I worked for a guy (who owed the company) when I was younger that showed up to work every day in jeans and a ratty old t-shirt. Today he is worth north of a billion.

Never assume.

This is so true - when I was a kid, we would go to farm sales, as my dad would look for good deals on used farm equipment. We saw an older gentleman dressed in overalls bid on a couple things that my dad was bidding on. My dad stopped bidding when this older gentleman started bidding. Later he asked if I knew who that guy was that started bidding against him? I had no clue, but figured that he was a farmer looking for a bargain on equipment. Dad told me he owned the second largest construction company in the state of Iowa and at that time in the 70s was worth north of $100 million.

I worked for a guy (who owed the company) when I was younger that showed up to work every day in jeans and a ratty old t-shirt. Today he is worth north of a billion.

Never assume.
No need to put on the dog when you are the DOG.
Clothes cover the body...so do rags.
As you said, by no means an indicator of wealth.

Back