Pet peeve!! MOBIL not MOBILE

Just had to vent! I spend some time on other forums- especially the Corvette ones and EVERY time there is a "what oil to use" thread there are several people saying mobile instead of MOBIL and that, to be honest, just irrates me to no end. There are a few here on BITOG but that seems to have gotten better as we all educate around here lol!

Your typical Corvette owner (boomer) isn't one for Internet forum grammer 🙄
Bless their hearts, you'll get the lead stare if you dare call them out on it 😤
They're too tied up with spray waxing the thing, and going out for a fresh pair of New Balances 😭

All coolant = Prestone
All wax = Simoniz
They want the best synthetic oil (because it's a Corvette 👀) but get furious if it costs more (because it's just a Chevy 🤷‍♂️)
😒

Cognitive dissonance and people's unwillingness to READ WHAT'S DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THEM makes be believe that people fail upwards who don't deserve it 🙄

Last edited:
I have seen it on this forum so many times, I do it sometimes just to silently tease some who still think the oil is spelled the same as the home they live in, in the city they also live in. No disrespect to those who live in a mobile home in Mobile, Alabama. I admit, it's probably not very polite, I always spell it with an apostrophe, as in Mobil'e, hoping someone will get the hint or my rude joke at others lack of knowledge, or they can't read they label on the bottle.

The jugs of oil may say Mobil, but my dividend deposits are paid by Exxon Mobil, quarterly $0.95 per share.

Mine is saying OEM to mean original equipment as in a genuine Toyota part, when OE means that. OEM means original equipment manufacturer.

Seems the German car community understands but often not Japanese and American.

Example: a blue spark plug that says BMW is OE, and made by Bosch.

A green Bosch spark plug that comes in a Bosch box, identical Part to the above, is OEM. But it is not what came with the vehicle

Back