Costco seems a lot more crowded lately

Well, you can’t really leave your heirs with debt.
You could leave them with less or no inheritance but they shouldn’t expect anything anyway.

I guess what I’m saying is I don’t see anything wrong with any creative ways to live your life with what years you have on this earth anyway that you want using your money and assets. I suspect more and more the population is feeling that way instead of obligated to leave it all to your kids or relatives..
I think it's about a healthy balance...spend it all in your golden years and there's nothing left for covering your own potential need for care in your final years, and if your kids care about you then that's a burden that falls on them. Nothing wrong with enjoying life, but I personally find it hard to believe that anyone who is well off would want to burn every last dollar before they go knowing that generational wealth is, IMO, going to become more important in the future based on how things are going if you want your family to have the same opportunities afforded to them that you had. I'm 33, no idea what will or won't be left to me from my and my wife's parents and my financial planning for my future assumes nothing, but I'll say that I imagine I'll find joy in my later years being able to make a financial impact in the lives of my heirs (at least, that's the goal).

One personal example: my wife's grandmother paid for college for all her grandkids, and now sets up 529s for every one of her great grandchildren after birth so that she can cover their college expenses after she is gone. She has a 7th grade education, and sees the value of higher Ed for her family. She could have kept and/or spent those funds for her but has instead chosen to make a true and valuable impact in now 3 generations below her. My 2 cents.

I think it's about a healthy balance...spend it all in your golden years and there's nothing left for covering your own potential need for care in your final years, and if your kids care about you then that's a burden that falls on them. Nothing wrong with enjoying life, but I personally find it hard to believe that anyone who is well off would want to burn every last dollar before they go knowing that generational wealth is, IMO, going to become more important in the future based on how things are going if you want your family to have the same opportunities afforded to them that you had. I'm 33, no idea what will or won't be left to me from my and my wife's parents and my financial planning for my future assumes nothing, but I'll say that I imagine I'll find joy in my later years being able to make a financial impact in the lives of my heirs (at least, that's the goal).

One personal example: my wife's grandmother paid for college for all her grandkids, and now sets up 529s for every one of her great grandchildren after birth so that she can cover their college expenses after she is gone. She has a 7th grade education, and sees the value of higher Ed for her family. She could have kept and/or spent those funds for her but has instead chosen to make a true and valuable impact in now 3 generations below her. My 2 cents.
I can certainly agree with funds available for your care if needed.
As far as the rest it's a personal choice on how one spends (or not spends) their money.
The only thing that bothers me in the younger age group is the thinking on how rough life is and your statement =
become more important in the future based on how things are going
How are things going? Life in the entire timeframe man has walked this earth has never been more easy in the USA but somehow the media or because of your age, some think things are rough. Your grandmother and her family knew what "make it happen" and hard work no matter what is needed.

My feeling is, this has also been given to you, the younger generation is used to be given things. It's the older generation that worked hard and provided these things to them. The only reason if like your statement is your concern for the future is because you are living a better life then they did, it is fact that the young spend, borrow and live beyond their means with luxuries on a magnitude of many, many, many times greater then the "grandparents" did. The "grandparents" paid cash and bought things they could afford, if they couldn't afford it they did not go to someone else to borrow the money with the promise of paying them back with interest. They lived within their means, they did not support the banks.

We have become a very immature people. It's accepted to give banks hundreds of thousands of dollars in interest over our lifetimes to live beyond our means. You are correct if you think the older generation should leave something to the youth, they are in big trouble because the younger generation doesnt save anything, they buy every luxury in life and if they dont have the money they pay a bank to get it for them. Your grandparents did not and now all that money they saved living within their means, not giving it to banks in the form of interest is left over for the youth, and what will the youth leave for their kids? $0 because they think life is tough while they buy everything on credit.

BTW- this is not in anyway an attack on you or the youth in this country. It's an explanation on what we have become as a nation. A nation of debt and there will be no money left over for the young because their parents no longer save and live within their means like their grandparents did.

Besides ones personal borrowing habits. When was the last time the nations debt was a conversation before entering the voting booth? http://usdebtclock.org
No politics, it's just fact, we dont care, until it time for a reset.

So I can see a fear for the young because at your age, your age group and older benefited from massive borrowing. Did not the people understand sooner or later someone has to pay it back? Our nation debt payments are at or near the same amount of money we pay for the military per year and that is just the interest payment.

Last edited:
It was the same ole same ole (crowded but not too crowded) Monday.
but,
for the last yr or two, the fuel pumps are always 5 to 10 deep.
Ain't nobody got time for that :)
If the line at the pumps is 5 to 10 deep, it would seem that quite a few people have time for that.

If the line at the pumps is 5 to 10 deep, it would seem that quite a few people have time for that.
I guess gasoline at warehouse clubs are more important in high tax states.
Sure when I am there I will get gas there, the lines are nothing like described here though.
Maybe that is because gas is cheap. I dont know, filled up the wife's car yesterday with Shell gasoline at $2.68 price. The price does jump around but there is currently 5 or more local stations under $3.
Sams Club and Costco a a good drive for me and dont think they would have been cheaper then the Shell price yesterday.

Great products and value, the word got out!
Buying huge lots worked for years for us. But the kids are all gone and it's just the wife and I now.
Wifey and I don;t want our Ketchups, Mayo and Cereals to remain for around two years. Hate buying two packs of Muffins, bread.......etc. At least Sams has smaller servings of some products and that's what we buy.

So nowadays, Sams gets more of out business than Costco. But being smaller servings, sometimes just buying the product(s) from Walmart is cheaper. We may adios our Costco membership and join Walmart Premium membership. I don't buy yucky Costco gas. The Costco gas around here makes our vehicles run worse. I swear our places here don't add the correct amount of additives to the gas lines, when the big rig is refilling.

Bunch of cheaters in Lower Michigan. It's really only noticeable when using Premium fuel and all HyunKia four cylinder in 2019 and 2020 run better on Premium fuel, despite no knock from the engine using regular fuel..

Yep, Shell is the best gas overall in value. BP fuel gives us the best gas mileage thou. Sunoco #3 is very good also. Then Mobil #4.

Last edited:
How are things going? Life in the entire timeframe man has walked this earth has never been more easy in the USA but somehow the media or because of your age, some think things are rough. Your grandmother and her family knew what "make it happen" and hard work no matter what is needed.
What I was getting at, without getting into the forbidden topic, is that I believe we are on a trajectory that will continue to erode as decades go by, fueled by everyone feeling they are entitled to receive everything as you stated as well. As far as ease of life, I agree that things are easier now than ever. In the future, I'm afraid that hard work done by my kids may make little difference in how they are able to live in pursuit of an "all equal" society.

My feeling is, this has also been given to you, the younger generation is used to be given things. It's the older generation that worked hard and provided these things to them. The only reason if like your statement is your concern for the future is because you are living a better life then they did, it is fact that the young spend, borrow and live beyond their means with luxuries on a magnitude of many, many, many times greater then the "grandparents" did. The "grandparents" paid cash and bought things they could afford, if they couldn't afford it they did not go to someone else to borrow the money with the promise of paying them back with interest. They lived within their means, they did not support the banks.

We have become a very immature people. It's accepted to give banks hundreds of thousands of dollars in interest over our lifetimes to live beyond our means. You are correct if you think the older generation should leave something to the youth, they are in big trouble because the younger generation doesnt save anything, they buy every luxury in life and if they dont have the money they pay a bank to get it for them. Your grandparents did not and now all that money they saved living within their means, not giving it to banks in the form of interest is left over for the youth, and what will the youth leave for their kids? $0 because they think life is tough while they buy everything on credit.

BTW- this is not in anyway an attack on you or the youth in this country. It's an explanation on what we have become as a nation. A nation of debt and there will be no money left over for the young because their parents no longer save and live within their means like their grandparents did.

Besides ones personal borrowing habits. When was the last time the nations debt was a conversation before entering the voting booth? http://usdebtclock.org
No politics, it's just fact, we dont care, until it time for a reset.

So I can see a fear for the young because at your age, your age group and older benefited from massive borrowing. Did not the people understand sooner or later someone has to pay it back? Our nation debt payments are at or near the same amount of money we pay for the military per year and that is just the interest payment.
I agree, and for context I should've added that my desire to leave some for my kids and on assumes they know how to handle money wisely and responsibly. My wife and I have grandparents and parents that have generally handled money well, and therefore we have observed and been taught healthy habits that can continue to be passed along. Sadly I'm a bit of a unicorn millennial that married at 22, has never had a car payment or credit card debt, and rented until I could put 20% down on a 20 year mortgage. We chose to be a single income household when my son was born which means we say no to some things that others don't and don't whine about how hard life is and how it's impossible to get by. I relate much easier to the old farts than I do my generation on almost anything financially related 😆

What I was getting at, without getting into the forbidden topic, is that I believe we are on a trajectory that will continue to erode as decades go by, fueled by everyone feeling they are entitled to receive everything as you stated as well. As far as ease of life, I agree that things are easier now than ever. In the future, I'm afraid that hard work done by my kids may make little difference in how they are able to live in pursuit of an "all equal" society.

I agree, and for context I should've added that my desire to leave some for my kids and on assumes they know how to handle money wisely and responsibly. My wife and I have grandparents and parents that have generally handled money well, and therefore we have observed and been taught healthy habits that can continue to be passed along. Sadly I'm a bit of a unicorn millennial that married at 22, has never had a car payment or credit card debt, and rented until I could put 20% down on a 20 year mortgage. We chose to be a single income household when my son was born which means we say no to some things that others don't and don't whine about how hard life is and how it's impossible to get by. I relate much easier to the old farts than I do my generation on almost anything financially related 😆
We are more the same than you might think.
... Actually a lot more than I thought compared to the way I read the first post.
Well said, problem as you may see, most others are not taught the fiscal responsibility. It's an incredible satisfying feeling as you get older to see, as I have now, that my adult kids have received that kind of responsibility that has been passed to me and me to them. Im very proud of them.
But the problem is, at least in my mind, they are the minority now and being majority rules, well, enough said.
Great post, I really enjoyed this conversation. Now time to go about my day. :)
Im kind of REALLY passionate about this subject and why I always tell others my posts are not directed at anyone except what I see happening in the world today.

Last edited:

I feel the need to respond and mostly agree. Especially with the trajectory.

I bought my house on my own in 2002, with 80/10/10 to avoid PMI, paid it off this year.

We have 3 cars, a 2006, 2007, 2011, and had a 1998. 1998 junked this year. All but the 2006 were brand new, I paid for all of them. Never felt entitled, if I didn’t save up where would the funds possibly come from?

My wife left work when son born. Returned 2023. I told her do you realize, your job is basically spending money for yourself? She laughed as it’s true. She does provide the healthcare now as it’s a school district, and that saves me about $850/mo (my co healthcare plus FSA—$0 deductible so FSA not needed).

I think our money habits were learned because what was the alternative? In 1996, my cousin let me drive his 1995 M3 by myself and I said, man I’ll never own a BMW.

Today, there are many alternatives such as easy credit. Why scrimp that’s so WWII generation.

I had a former coworker and he said when my kids start driving, before that happens, they will.

1. Learn to Change a flat
2. Learn to change oil
3. Learn to drive a manual

He said the above likely won’t happen as his wife didn’t agree any of that is worthwhile for their kids to learn.

Anyway I’ve already expressed why I believe Costco is so darn crowded

😂

Guess we'll have to stop using Costco gas for our RV. Not sure what they did lately but they really amped up the flow. So far has happened everywhere but Cali. Probably to speed up and reduce the lines. It's the only gas station where as much gas goes in as out. Only had a person issue in Springfield.. in the RV not as easy to jump the line but two other decided to even though the first pump of the three they were about to leave.

Guess we'll have to stop using Costco gas for our RV. Not sure what they did lately but they really amped up the flow. So far has happened everywhere but Cali. Probably to speed up and reduce the lines. It's the only gas station where as much gas goes in as out. Only had a person issue in Springfield.. in the RV not as easy to jump the line but two other decided to even though the first pump of the three they were about to leave.
Then you have an issue with your fuel system. And yes-nobody wants to be behind an RV filling up.

I guess gasoline at warehouse clubs are more important in high tax states.
Sure when I am there I will get gas there, the lines are nothing like described here though.
Maybe that is because gas is cheap. I dont know, filled up the wife's car yesterday with Shell gasoline at $2.68 price. The price does jump around but there is currently 5 or more local stations under $3.
Sams Club and Costco a a good drive for me and dont think they would have been cheaper then the Shell price yesterday.
Its under $3/gal here where I live in central TX too. Down the road a mile there are 5 gas stations all under $3/gal. I don't get it? I'm retired and don't have time for that :)

Rolled oatmeal in a ten pound bag, if you eat it everyday it will get used up. Costco brand costs as much as a 2.5 pound box in the supermarket. Ground Maxwell house coffee in a 3 pound and change box, lasts about 2.5 to 3 weeks depending on how much you make, about the same price as a container in the supermarket that is about half as big.

Several other examples in the store that get used up in a house without kids that are much, much cheaper. Money is precious and we don't spend extra when it is totally not necessay. We do stay away from the 50 pound bags of rice and flour though.

Back