I've gone full BITOG....I drained oil/re-used it.....

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Needed to deal with a leaking oil pan drain plug on my Sportwagen...I was under it doing an after-track inspection. All good. But ever since I did the aluminum oil pan/thread-in aluminum magnetic plug, it's weeped. Yes...even with new crush washers. Torque is 25nM and I've been doing that with a torque wrench. Tried some Permatex high-temp thread sealer goop this time but of course had to drain the oil and didn't feel like doing the YouTube shopvac thing to keep the oil from coming out :ROFLMAO: . HPL Euro5W40, 2 track days/~2500 miles. Just cleaned one of my drain pans up and poured it back with a slight top-off b/c you never get it all. Am I a bad person? At over $100 a change, I wasn't going to dump it plus I have 2 more track days and will change it after that.

OIP.jpeg

Needed to deal with a leaking oil pan drain plug on my Sportwagen...I was under it doing an after-track inspection. All good. But ever since I did the aluminum oil pan/thread-in aluminum magnetic plug, it's weeped. Yes...even with new crush washers. Torque is 25nM and I've been doing that with a torque wrench. Tried some Permatex high-temp thread sealer goop this time but of course had to drain the oil and didn't feel like doing the YouTube shopvac thing to keep the oil from coming out :ROFLMAO: . HPL Euro5W40, 2 track days/~2500 miles. Just cleaned one of my drain pans up and poured it back with a slight top-off b/c you never get it all. Am I a bad person? At over $100 a change, I wasn't going to dump it plus I have 2 more track days and will change it after that.

View attachment 187321
when I worked for a guy with a small fleet of trucks, if we did an engine repair that required an oil drain, if that truck wasn't up for an oil change we had to clean out a drain pan and save the drained oil for re use. nothing particulalry wrong with that method if you keep dirt out of the oil.

View attachment 187321
You could've gone All-In by installing a Valvomax or Stahilbus drain plug. IJS.

You’re fine. I’d have done the same! I did actually do the same when I was working on a Volkswagen that got a washer dropped down the oil fill hole.

We had an AmsOil salesman get a torque convertor replacement but demand we reuse his trans fluid as it’s full synthetic, good for the life of the vehicle. Idk what the tech actually did on it, it was kind of an agreement that everyone would look the other way when he filled it back up. In one sense the customer is literally asking for their old contaminated fluid to be put back in so do what they ask, in another that same customer is gonna throw a fit and not accept fluid contamination as the cause if there’s an issue down the road.

I was considering running used oil from our other vehicles in my pickup when the head gasket was leaking a quart every 75 miles.

Eventually, I opted to get the head milled down past the coroded oil port.

Your racing pluck is absolutely nonpareil but what you are really lacking is a pit crew and a bona fide racer. (Lola Can Am group 7)

1699393848661.jpg

Car and Driver

i used to dump my free oil change in my new then 2001 wolfsburg just after getting home from the stealer + use it in girlfriends almost new malibu! Stealer refused to use my supplied real synthetic!! i always use med loctite on my oil plugs!!

Back