Anybody into RC’s?

I had a Hornet when I was 12, I remember it would do wheelies or even flip over backwards with a slow reverse and then full power on carpet which blew my mind at the time... Funny how it was the most reliable RC car I ever had, and with some bigger tires was really quite fun. Then I had a Tamiya nissan king cab, which was a pretty good race truck with the stock motor, but then my buddy upgraded and then I had too and then we started breaking gear boxes together...
After a frustrating summer of a half dozen broken gears, and stripped LSD's I got a real snowmobile that winter, and then a real dirtbike (which were 100X more reliable) and rode those and a mountain bike instead of fighting with RC stuff. My buddy got a couple nitro rc cars but always seemed to run like khrap and then broke some parts...
20 years later I should have just bought my kids tamiya hornets... the new traxxas 1:16 stuff seems to be good for about 10-20 hours then its done... I tried some chinese 1:16 copies and they work for about as long as well. Anyways, we have moved on to the snowmobile, atv, mountain bikes and skiing which are all still 100x more reliable!
My kids are lobbying for the $800+ 40mph ones but I'm done with buying them RC stuff...
This thing has been tough so far but time will tell!

I still have my Kyosho Concept 30 heli packed away in the garage. I taught myself how to hover but lost interest due to constantly having to perform crash repair ($$$).

A co-worker was trying to become a distributor of RC helis and he gave me a Flasher 450 (Chinese copy of the Align T-Rex 450). This one is still in the box. Pretty high quality for being a Chinese copy.

Back in the mid-90's, a group of seven of us at work used to meet once a week during lunch and have road races in the parking lot. Rules were any Tamiya touring car chassis, stock tires and motors. I ran in succession, a 4WD TA03 and TA04 and a FWD MO3 chassis. I won the championship with the FWD chassis. At this level of grudge racing, simpler is better.

The last cars I built were a Wild Willy II and a RWD F103 "F1" chassis for non-competition. I still have in boxes, a Tamiya Frog (new release), Tyrell P34 (new release) and Kyosho Suzuki and Honda motorcycles.

I have an unfinished House of Balsa fiberglass fuselage P-51 Mustang (49" wing span) and a built but unpainted Dumas tunnel hull (K&B 11cc outboard).

I think I want one of these: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-trucks/rc-118-konghead-6x6/

I remember the Tamiya Lunchbox back in the day being on my wish list ... seemed so cool and still cool..

View attachment 129472
Tamiya had reissued them a few years ago. You had your chance to buy one but it looks to be discontinued now. Shame. I kinda wanted one myself for nostalgia's sake but they are VERY primitive. Great for sitting on a shelf though.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. Tamiya King Cab with replacement Chevy Silverado Lexan body and upgrades (on everything) probably never leaves the bag, as it represents a pretty specific time in my life.

Most other models will leave that thing in the dust like a McLaren 720S or Dodge Demon versus a stock base model Honda Accord.

Here are the pics.. I cant bring myself open the bag. The Lamborghini (stuoid because Dodge and Chevy are faster, dont know about Ford) adorns the living room cabinet now.

20221210_153147.jpg
20221210_153207.jpg
20221210_153225.jpg
20221210_153228.jpg
20221210_153534.jpg

Great for sitting on a shelf though.

👍

My son races a 1/8th scale Losi nitro buggy and a 1/8th scale Tekno truggy. I go with him sometimes to spend time with him and help him with maintenance and tuning. It’s kind of a fun hobby but can be rather expensive.

Just my $0.02

my oldest bought a traxxas truck with Christmas money last year. Hasn’t seen a lot of use but it’s fun to play with. Have to keep it on the detuned setting because it goes fast otherwise. Can’t imagine how much faster the souped up ones with the big lithium batteries are.

Back