Oil and grease for Model trains

I really didn't know where to post this, as this is an unusual subject, but here goes. Since almost a year ago I got a spinal cord injury, and can no longer drive, I sold my classic mustangs, and now only have a van for my wife to drive me around in my wheelchair. So, for a hobby I have reverted to what I did many years ago before I got. into classics. O gauge model trains. Now I am buying old used stuff that needs cleaning and lubing. The train companies want me to buy REALLY EXPENSIVE lubes. I know it isn't necessary, especially since I know that I won't be around to use them that long, but want them to run properly till then. I need a light oil, and a light but sticky grease. they all say NO 3 in one or wd40.... So, any suggestions?? and, I only need small quantities. Also, I have on my shelf 10/30 synthetic, 2 cycle oil, MMO, and chassis and wheel bearing grease, and vasoline.

If the train oils are too much I'd be inclined to use sewing machine oil. It should be odorless and safe on plastic. The grease would be for a mix of metal and plastic gears, I suppose? Maybe a mico gear silicone grease?

Sewing Machine Oil , 3 In One Oil , Turbine Oil . Any of those will work . Gun grease where needed .

Reactions: hrv
I thought 3 in one also, which I assume is the same as sewing machine oil, but the train manufactures stat NOT that. But That is probably because because then they couldn't sell the really expensive oil. I also thought about the oil for electric hair clippers. The special "train". oil is like $5 an ounce. That is not happening lol.

........The train companies want me to buy REALLY EXPENSIVE lubes.
Are you referring to LaBelle lubes?

The special "train". oil is like $5 an ounce. That is not happening lol.
In your dreams. The Labelle lubes are about $8 per half ounce. The half ounce bottle lasts me 5 - 8+ years. 4oz. 3-in1 costs about $5 and will last 30 years???? I "buy once, cry once" and use the Labelle products. Not sure how much you are saving, unless you oil a lot of things around your house. Yes, all hobby, hunting, fishing, etc. products are over priced.

From what I've studied (confirm yourself), it's the polystyrene plastic parts that are not oil compatible, maybe the train shell??? Use the oil sparingly.

My H.O. 4 foot club module that is one section of a 30ft. x 60ft layout.
Train.JPG

Thanks a lot for the info guys. I have decided to get a tube of "super lube" grease, and use atf for the "oil". I'll get some of those cheap needle nose oiler bottles, and the lube comes in a small tube with needle nose

Back in the day Lionel said 3-in-1 oil on axles and motors was fine, and vaseline was fine for gears. The little tubes of Lionel lube they use to sell and package with everything were basically low grade vaseline-50+ years later it often has the consistency of peanut butter. If I were going to use 3-in-1 oil now, I'd probably opt for the blue-label "Electric Motor Oil", which is labeled as being 20W, and not the standard black label 3-in-1.

I use Labelle products. If you need a bottle more than every couple of years, either you're WAY over-oiling your stuff or you're running a repair shop that's probably making more on every repair than that $10 bottle costs.

Honestly, though, I've known a lot at least within the Lionel communities that will buy empty needle oiler bottles and use lightweight motor oil. Even something like 5W-20 strikes me as too heavy for a lot of uses, though.

Also, if you think model train oils are expensive, never take up watch repair as a hobby. 15 years ago, when I bought a 5mL bottle of Moebius 941, it was I think about $30. I haven't looked recently at prices.

Back