Any reason NOT to buy the Euro version?

Thanks. What do you make of the fact that for the rest of the world, the manual doesn't even specify an API designation?

View attachment 169429
Considering API is short for American Petroleum Institute, it’s not surprising. If you’re not going to use ILSAC standards (which aren’t very breathtaking IMO), there are a few ACEA standards and Euro manufacturer specifications which do a little more to make sure you’re getting a good oil.

ACEA A3/B4 is a good one, and the Porsche A40 is also. But those are minimum 3.5 HTHS, so Xw40s. There have also been some more knowledgeable folk here that say ACEA C3 in 5w30 when combined with VW 502/505(IIRC) is a nearly universal oil for American gasoline engines now that we’re on ULSG.

How about if your car calls for a SN or SP rated lube? In that case why would I benefit using a euro oil. I know, I know; stupid question

I’m tempted to buy Amsoil Euro 0W20 for the Pilot.
Speaking of Euro oil, the Amsoil 5w30 Euro must contain some expensive ingredients.

1690974372216.jpg

1690974405917.jpg

Which Euro / LL,MB, VW, Porsche A40?, etc. ... spec does it meet?

The price is per quart and I assume @userfriendly was kidding.
$18 USD for one US quart works out to over $25 Canadian per litre. When I stacked my savings at Canadian Tire, I couldn’t help myself and bought 6 five US quart M1 0W40 Euro jugs for $28.80. The exchange rate is about .78, so that works out to $22.46 US for five quarts.
Something in the movie FMJ about a reach around.

Last edited:
Back