any experience with 2005 Dodge Neon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
FINALLY convinced my parents to stop driving Chrysler products. Bought a new Toyota in 2012 Camry (replace the Neon) and a used 2008 (Solara to replace the Sebing) and have not had an issue in 5 years.

Sweet, I convinced dad to buy a new Camry SE V6 back in 1992 after getting a super low trade in value on an 86 Riviera. Which led to new Camrys every 5 years. But all the rest of them were 4 cylinders. The first V6 had 185 HP and I think the 2012 I4 has 189 HP.

I didn't convince then... the 2006 Sebring blowing a headgasket (while the Neon suffered torque converter death rattles) did that. I kinda helped that I had about 5 years of near repair-free (brakes) MR2 fun.

Shoot, we had Lebarons, a New Yorker, Sebrings,and Neon growing up.... uggg. Had a Lemon 91 Towncar, Ford LTD, and a bulletproof 300K DeVille. And it wasn't like my family was completely Chrysler US made only... I grew up with a 240Z and a 280Z too. Those were fun
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
In 2007, I had a choice to buy a 2001 Neon (from family) for $4K or an 2001 MR2 for $13K (from a dealer) while starting my PhD. Both had about 25K on the clock. I picked up the MR2 and my mother bought the Neon. I still have the MR2, my mother drove the Neon for about 70K more before the transmission failed, ate through the suspension/brakes. Junk. That Neon along with a lemon of a Sebring finally, FINALLY convinced my parents to stop driving Chrysler products. Bought a new Toyota in 2012 Camry (replace the Neon) and a used 2008 (Solara to replace the Sebing) and have not had an issue in 5 years.

If you are thinking Neon (or any Chrysler product), look at the IIHS results... this: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/dodge/neon-4-door-sedan

Deathtraps.

Not all Chrysler products are [censored] though. Our family has a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 155k miles still running strong.

The newer Chrysler products are much improved, but nothing is perfect. I will tell you this though as far as vans go? I would take a Chrysler Pacifica over any other van on the market right now.

So I think some are good while some are not. That goes for any brand.

Jeff

The entire family has never had a powertrain failure in a Chrysler product, out of 20 vehicles or so? 1 Nissan, 1 Acura - neither made it to 100k without a transmission failure. Luck of the draw...each company makes a few pigs.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Not all Chrysler products are [censored] though. Our family has a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 155k miles still running strong.

The newer Chrysler products are much improved, but nothing is perfect. I will tell you this though as far as vans go? I would take a Chrysler Pacifica over any other van on the market right now.

Jeff

Exactly. Those 3.3L's go on forever as long as you do proper maintenance. The new 3.6 PentaStar is also a really great engine. It had some minor revisions from when it first came out by my dad's with 300K is still going on strong and it was a fleet vehicle before he got it. My Dodge Journey as much as I hate it (for other reasons) has a good reliable engine / transmission.

True indeed Dishdude. My aunt got a 95 Dodge That rolled well past 200k miles without a whole lot of issues. It was actually a good car to her for sure.

A co-worker of mine started out on a Neon, then went to the SX (I think) and now drives a Dart. All the prior ones had over 300k kilometers, or about 200k miles before he would buy a next new one. He said he 's been really happy with them and that's why he keeps coming back.

I had an '04 Neon.
Not a bad driving car.
The automatic transmission went bad at 120K.
Run Forest run!
Take the advice of previous posters and look at cars with good ratings.
I bought my '06 Sentra with 97K miles on it and other then normal maintenance the only thing replaced was a crank sensor.
It now has over 183K on it.

Originally Posted By: sirgerman
What none Japanese car is decent, and get a good mileage ? beside a Saturn

4 cyl Olds Alero. Early 2000 Chevy Malibu is another one(4 cyl). Friend had one that was pretty durable and it used to be a rental.

Last edited:

Japanese

Focus 5 speed stick

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Focus 5 speed stick

I am going to be looking for a focus manual, does the engine has a timing chain ? Any majors problems with the focus ? I know is not a Japanese if it is 3/4 in durability as any Japanese car I am happy

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Focus 5 speed stick

I am going to be looking for a focus manual, does the engine has a timing chain ? Any majors problems with the focus ? I know is not a Japanese if it is 3/4 in durability as any Japanese car I am happy

Anything 2007 and newer is going to have a timing chain. You want the Duratec engine Focus. Zetec is a good engine but uses a timing belt. DO NOT get a SOHC focus, those engines are known for dropping valves.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Jeff

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Exactly. Those 3.3L's go on forever as long as you do proper maintenance. The new 3.6 PentaStar is also a really great engine. It had some minor revisions from when it first came out by my dad's with 300K is still going on strong and it was a fleet vehicle before he got it. My Dodge Journey as much as I hate it (for other reasons) has a good reliable engine / transmission.

Actually,they still are rubbish. I had several

So despite my family experience growing up, I somehow ended up overseeing a moderate-sized vehicle fleet. Most are Chrysler Products.

I have/had about NINE 2004-2007 Caravans (still have one), I have FIVE 2015 Caravans, two Journeys an Avenger (now thankfully retired). Also a few Explorers, Fusions, F150s, Tauruses, Escapes, Impalas, Suburbans, Blazers etc. I also have an NV200 and a Leaf.

The ONLY Chrysler Product I would take over the other GM/Ford products would be the two gawd awful Chevy Uplanders.... shudder. Sure, we drove each one of the Caravans to about 150-175K miles before retirement but each had to be beaten to get there against their will. Their repair costs were easily twice as much as other vehicles. And it was not just the big repairs.... all the little things is what the Caravans will dime you for and then they will toss in a doozy. I remember that I did not see one Caravan in my fleet for my first three months of employment. Why? It sat at the dealership because they could not track down the electrical issues.

Here is the trick, our Chevy Impalas (poster child of reliability) were by far more reliable than the Chrysler Products. I preferred the Impalas even if they would drop a tranny or shred their power steering, but they were better than the ignition switch failure.

Our fleet was and is properly maintained. He have a high repair tolerance too. We keep things on the road. Still, the shoddy Chrysler shines through. Yes, the major engine isn't bad... but I am not purchasing just the engine. I purchase whole vehicles. FCA nor DaimlerChrysler has yet to produce a complete, relaible vehicle.

That being said, I actually like a lot of FCA vehicles... I just would not even consider FCA products for my personal use. I know what it polished...

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Cheap and near terrible cars. Engine is pretty solid.
A 2005 is a $1500 car.
I would take over a Corolla.
Corolla is terrible car too. Not too wild about Civics either -but I'm not a tiny guy.
Funny I LOVED my Fiats (mid 70-'s 128, 3P) and 85 Yugo GV.

You LOVED your 1970s Fiats and 1985 Yugo and you are calling the Corolla a "terrible" car, and, you would take a Neon over a Corolla for reliable economical inexpensive transportation? REALLY? Is this a joke, or are you stoned?
In Central Texas, where cars don't rust and must pass a yearly safety and emission inspection, on a daily basis I see MANY 20-year-old plus Corollas still on the road, and I almost never see Neons anymore (or for that matter, Cobalts or Focuses over 10-12 years old). The cost of owning a car is NOT the price you pay for it. It is the price you pay for the car when you buy it plus all of the other ownership expenses such as... repair and maintenance costs, gas, registration/inspection fees, insurance, etc (and some would also add "aggravation factor" because of breakdowns), minus resale value, divided by how long you own it (in years AND miles). Taken in total, the Corolla is one of the lowest "cost of ownership" cars on the market, and has been for many years.
To the OP, regardless of the low miles, the price they are asking for the 2005 Neon is insane, and anyone who would pay that much for it is also insane. IMO you are looking at the wrong cars. You are only looking at the purchase price and not the cost of ownership.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
To the OP, regardless of the low miles, the price they are asking for the 2005 Neon is insane, and anyone who would pay that much for it is also insane. IMO you are looking at the wrong cars. You are only looking at the purchase price and not the cost of ownership.

I would suggest to the OP, to do a craiglist search for cars between $3,000-$3,750 just for a local comparison.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back