any experience with 2005 Dodge Neon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They seem to be fairly reliable mechanically, save for the HG, which seems to be a hit-or-miss thing.

Rust is the problem here - they rot from the bottom up very badly. If it is rust free, it is almost worth it, as it will most likely run a long while.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: StevieC

The timing belt is called for around 60,000 miles but you can easily go 100,000 no problem and the belt will still look like new. It's not very difficult to replace either.

sounds like you're talking about the serpentine belt, not the timing belt.
serpentine is due @60k, The Timing is Due @ 105k. and if it goes, you're in for a valve job minimum (interference engine), if not a rebuilt/reman engine.
timing belt is under a cover behind the serpentine, and also drives the water pump.
most timing belt kits for these engines include a new water pump.

the plugs are due every 30k, with cheap champion copper core plugs. they're cheap and super easy, no reason to not change 'em every 30k.
over all they can be a fun car to drive, and definitely easy to learn/work on.

Sorry I converted that wrong from Kilometers....
thumbsup2.gif

I would avoid it - my mother in law has an '05 SXT with about 70k miles and everything rattles and squeaks over the slightest bumps.

A few years ago I had bought a 1998 Plymouth Neon (pretty much identical mechanically, they didn't change the tech much on these cars). It only had 40k on it, and the transmission was started banging into gear and slipping. Checked all the usual culprits, fluid/filter change, band adjustment and cable adjustment, but it still wasn't right. It burned oil like no other too, even though the previous owner had receipts of oil changes etc each year. Got tired of messing with it and traded it in...

Edit: also the saudered joints on the clusters are very prone to breaking causing the speedometer/odo to quit working, easy fix if your good with a sauder gun but it's almost guaranteed on these cars

Last edited:
For the price they are asking for that 05 it better have a newly rebuilt transmission in there.

I had to have the trans rebuilt on my 03. It happened at a time when I simply couldn't just go and replace the car. Too busy with long days at work. So now I have a brand spanking new trans in my old car. Looks like I'm hanging on to it for a while. Runs real good now.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The engines are OK. You might need a head gasket down the road though. Was really common on these engines and frequent in early ones. Not hard to do at all. The price is a bit high for the age unless it's loaded.

Change the trans fluid every 30K miles with a new filter is my recommendation.

The timing belt is called for around 60,000 miles but you can easily go 100,000 no problem and the belt will still look like new. It's not very difficult to replace either.

My dad's manual trans 1995 Neon he bought for $200 went to 200K Miles with just a head gasket when he bought it with 100,000 miles.

My dad is a mechanic and worked for Chrysler. I know a lot about the Chrysler product line and specifically this line.
smile.gif

What he said...
smile.gif

Nick 1994 you need to drive that Toyota Camry son
smile.gif

Better to be driven than letting it sit out in your front yard with grass growing up around it redneck style.

Well I'm sure I'll catch some flack but ...

J-U-N-K

The headgasket *will* be an issue as will the transmission.

The suspensions rattle horrible. And check for subframe rot on the passenger side; they love that.

I had a '95, it was actually a good car. The head gasket issue was fixed by '98, I never had a problem with my '95. The old 3 speed held up well, the 4 speed they started using in '02 was actually a decent unit by that time, and the car being so light didn't stress it much.

However, this thing is 13 years old. It's a dated design and never did well in crash ratings. If you want low cost motoring, I'd look for a Cobalt. Cobalt is a solid little car, reliable and simple powertrain that's easy to wrench on and parts are cheap and plentiful.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I had a '95, it was actually a good car. The head gasket issue was fixed by '98, I never had a problem with my '95. The old 3 speed held up well, the 4 speed they started using in '02 was actually a decent unit by that time, and the car being so light didn't stress it much.

However, this thing is 13 years old. It's a dated design and never did well in crash ratings. If you want low cost motoring, I'd look for a Cobalt. Cobalt is a solid little car, reliable and simple powertrain that's easy to wrench on and parts are cheap and plentiful.

My dad's experience was similar. I used to love banging it through the gears (his was manual). It was a fun little car.

Chrysler fixed the issue with the hole not being deep enough for the head bolts, but the engine always continued to have head gasket problems. Same with the 2.4 - all the way to the end of the run, they suffered head gasket issues.

We have a tenant that does the same as you are doing, buy car with a garbage reputation because they are inexpensive, then they fail and they are towed away because repairs are uneconomic.

I have seen him waste many $k on domestic 'cream puff' garbage.

Cheap and near terrible cars. Engine is pretty solid.
A 2005 is a $1500 car.
I would take over a Corolla.

Corolla is terrible car too. Not too wild about Civics either -but I'm not a tiny guy.

Funny I LOVED my Fiats (mid 70-'s 128, 3P) and 85 Yugo GV.

Last edited:
I had a 1998 NEON Automatic, was a peppy car to drive and netted 36mpg's on the highway. BUT it had head gasket issues. Temp gauge would go all over the place. I took it back to the dealer and under warranty they "repaired" it. Ran like [censored] after they "fixed" it. I then sold it.

Honestly though there are "Certain" Neon's worth buying. Any 1st Gen ACR's or 2nd Gen SRT's. Other than that? I would stay away from them.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Nick 1994 you need to drive that Toyota Camry son
smile.gif

Better to be driven than letting it sit out in your front yard with grass growing up around it redneck style.
Lol no worries on the grass, it's out on the street. I take it to the $3 car wash once a month so it doesn't look too abandoned. I actually drove it 2 weeks ago 75 miles round trip across town, it drove and ran great.

I'm just too cheap to pay for the insurance. I don't have a need for the car but I hate to see it go, it's not worth much and it seems like a waste to get rid of it for so little. Maybe a family member will someday need it.

Originally Posted By: sirgerman
the car sold thanks for you help, I guess I will keep driving the saturn for a while until i find something similar, is this worst than a neon ?

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4272378?ad_cid=11

low miles and manual transmission
Sigh, I honestly couldn't think of a worse car.

Stop with the low miles! It doesn't mean anything!
spankme2.gif
spankme2.gif
09.gif
06.gif
spankme2.gif
06.gif
09.gif

In 2007, I had a choice to buy a 2001 Neon (from family) for $4K or an 2001 MR2 for $13K (from a dealer) while starting my PhD. Both had about 25K on the clock. I picked up the MR2 and my mother bought the Neon. I still have the MR2, my mother drove the Neon for about 70K more before the transmission failed, ate through the suspension/brakes. Junk. That Neon along with a lemon of a Sebring finally, FINALLY convinced my parents to stop driving Chrysler products. Bought a new Toyota in 2012 Camry (replace the Neon) and a used 2008 (Solara to replace the Sebing) and have not had an issue in 5 years.

If you are thinking Neon (or any Chrysler product), look at the IIHS results... this: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/dodge/neon-4-door-sedan

Deathtraps.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
FINALLY convinced my parents to stop driving Chrysler products. Bought a new Toyota in 2012 Camry (replace the Neon) and a used 2008 (Solara to replace the Sebing) and have not had an issue in 5 years.

Sweet, I convinced dad to buy a new Camry SE V6 back in 1992 after getting a super low trade in value on an 86 Riviera. Which led to new Camrys every 5 years. But all the rest of them were 4 cylinders. The first V6 had 185 HP and I think the 2012 I4 has 189 HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back