Any bowlers here?

We have a bowling league at work. I've bowled in it for around 10 years now.

We bowl 2 games over lunch hour, one day a week, fall through spring.

1702588440241.jpg
This guy is a real big bowler. :ROFLMAO:

Not sure when was the last time I went bowling, although I think it was at least 10 years ago.

Most of the local bowling alleys I remember from my youth (or later) are gone. I'm old enough to remember when there was a bowling alley called Berkeley Bowl, which most people now associate with a market that previously took over the space. That space is interesting with an art deco architecture, where it now houses a Honda dealer.

I'm trying to figure out where one can bowl around here now. There was a local one where my wife and I decided we'd get our own Etonic bowling shoes. Her's were more a pink and black traditional style, and mine looked like black walking shoes. I guess they brand went through a lot of changes and they're no longer available.

I used to go bowling in high school, but mostly at the now gone ASUC Bowl at the student union at UC Berkeley. I wasn't a student there, but a high school friend had a student ID from attending a part-time college program while still in high school, and I think students rates were like $5 an hour with shoe rental really cheap. We would typically meet up on Fridays, get pizza, and go bowling. They didn't have automated scoring equipment (just an old fashioned AMF setup where it would display the pins still up, so we learned how to manually keep score. Theoretically one could just mark the pins down for all 10 frames and then calculate the score later. It was usually three of us and we typically got in 2 games in that hour, and maybe 4-7 frames of a third game, but the automatic timer would shut it down mid-game. We could tell when the lights went off. That place changed though when I was a student. There wasn't as much play and they ended up taking out half the lanes and put in more video games and pool tables. I used to play pool there with friends in my college days and I could get the student discount.

However, a lot of the places I remember are gone now. Albany Bowl in Albany, California. Golden Gate Lanes in El Cerrito, California was torn down to built a Target store. Lucky Lanes in San Pablo, California is now a tribal card room (they don't have Class I games). I'm thinking all that's left is AMF Pinole Lanes and Plank in Oakland. Looked it up and some places are still there like one in Alameda, California, which I remember from televised bowling tournaments on ABC Sports in the 80s. And Earl Anthony's Dublin Bowl.

Wife & I went for our first time in our 12 yr marriage last year. I had to wear a wrist support from walmart for my ailing wrist LOL. We went for the fun & it was. Will go again sometime I'm sure.

OT: When I went to USAF basic training in TX I was given (2) bits of advice

1) There is no 6" long square needle to take a "male sample"
2) Don't raise your hand or volunteer for anything.

When the DI asked the flight

Any bowlers here?​

enthusiastically a number of individuals violating advice item #2 raised their hands and were quickly assigned 6 weeks of latrine duty. (or is it doodie?)

I, being closed mouth, was assigned "stairwell with Airman Timmons" and got my share of pine oil

My wife and I both like to bowl and get out in the winter a few times to go bowling. We have our own bowling balls and shoes. She is pretty good but I am not that great. If I bowl 3 games and if I break 100 on all three games it's a good day.

Are you all talking 10-pin? If so, what's a good score?

Five-pin used to be quite popular here. A lot of the lanes have shut down. I broke 200 once, but 140ish was more typical. I think a perfect game was 450.

I was always the guy who could keep score. Lost art now, like adjusting breaker points.

Reactions: GON
Used to as a kid. I still like it--but "real" bowling, not this candle pin stuff.

Thing is, since I'm long out of shape, I think I bowl with a too light ball? not sure, been many years since I had my own ball, only go about once a decade now and take whatever is on the rack.

I've thought about picking it up again, but it's what, $10 per game? half-hour? not sure, but it keeps me from pursuing. :(

Used to as a kid. I still like it--but "real" bowling, not this candle pin stuff.

Thing is, since I'm long out of shape, I think I bowl with a too light ball? not sure, been many years since I had my own ball, only go about once a decade now and take whatever is on the rack.

I've thought about picking it up again, but it's what, $10 per game? half-hour? not sure, but it keeps me from pursuing. :(

Depends on the place. Once my wife and I found ourselves at the Grand Sierra in Reno (the former MGM Grand/Bally). They had a special for maybe $15 for an hour of bowling, shoe rental, a large pepperoni pizza, and a pitcher of soda or beer (we actually got the soda since I had to drive back to our hotel). And we got there during rock and roll bowling when they turned down the lights, had various lights flashing, and loud music. And they asked us if we wanted bumpers. That was actually quite fun, but it might have been in 2009.

And Reno is an interesting place when it comes to bowling. They have the National Bowling Stadium - aka the Taj Mahal of Tenpins. It's a glorious 78 lanes, although there are various stories of why it's not 78. Something about having what would have been two lanes where bowlers can walk for spectator events. I'd taken a look inside, but they had no bowling. The doors were still open as they had a restaurant and a pro shop.

convention-center-nbs-950x530.jpg

There used to be controversy over it because it was paid for with hotel tax money. The operators of privately operated bowling alleys complained that it would take away their business. They weren't typically open for public bowling except for limited hours when there was a tournament going on. But now they might also open periodically to the public. They later built a small 10-lane bowling alley in another part of the building, and that's open to the public like any other bowling center.

Back