Work SHOES? Any recommendations

I’m an automotive mechanic. I’m on a hard concrete floor almost all 8 hours of my day unless I’m towing or making road repairs. 39 years old, 6’4” 220lb guy with plantar fasciitis in one foot pretty bad that I can’t shake, fractured my back in a couple few places last year that still bothers me, so I’m looking for comfort and support due to my issues.

I’ve always gotten away with Nike air monarch (grandpa walking / cross training type shoes) or similar new balances (I think 626’s, still grandpa type walking / training shoes). My issues with them are since they’re leather (which I’m supposed to wear anyway, but it’s a bit un-enforced) they are hot / not very breathable, and the soles or tread tend to unglue and bubble / come off, likely due to contaminants in the shop I walk through.

I tried some “shoes for crews” and had to return them immediately, never had a shoe with so little cushioning.

Now I’m on some Reebok work shoes called sublite cushion I think. I thought they were comfy, but the lack of cushioning is starting to get to me. At least the soles are lasting since they’re actual work shoes

I think I need both support and cushion with my issues. I use superfeet or similar insoles with the proper arch support, but I think a lot of the cushioning is going to come from the shoe itself.

Any mechanics or blue collar guys here on their feet all day that have any shoe recommendations? I’ve never been a boot guy.

Thanks in advance!

Do yourself a favor and get you some 6”-8” leather lace up boots.

Do yourself a favor and get you some 6”-8” leather lace up boots.
another vote for thorogoods. i’ve tried a lot of boots over the years and nothing has come close to thorogoods. just make sure you get them a bit snug and be ready for a week of pain breaking them in.

Timberland Pro Pitt Boss is another good choice. Also, replace the original insoles with something with a little more support and cushion. See: The Insole Store.

Skechers GO Run and, even better, their Max Cushioning lines are extremely comfortable shoes for being on your feet all day, but I don't think you would want to wear them to work if you're a mechanic as you would probably destroy them in short order. They would have absolutely zero protection from impacts to your feet and they are not exactly built to last.

But if you want some extremely comfortable and relatively inexpensive-ish weekend shoes, these are it.

Timberline Pros are very popular in the huge plant where I work, but I quit wearing them after getting two pair that cause me pain/irritation from the lace cleat. Wedge sole Thorogood are very popular with our shop guys, but caused me pain because of no padding on the tongue. For after work around the house, nothing is more comfortable than Hoka Recovery Slides.

I'm a semi mechanic and wear Timberland Radius Composite Toe Work Sneakers at work. They are not leather and don't give your feet the sauna effect in the summer. I just checked, they have removable insoles.

Brooks Addiction Walker 2 comes in black with a slip resistant sole. Highly rated for comfort.

1706840671281.jpg
These are my work shoes. :)

What are you doing to treat the plantar fasciitis? If you have health insurance you might be able to get some custom orthotics.

$0.02:

Highly suggest, once you find and confirm what is best for you buy a second pair and swap them every other day. This will allow them to naturally and completely dry out and last 3-4x as long. HUGE impact.

Don’t sleep on mil spec stuff

if feasible, keep your two pair of work shoes at work. After a full day your tired, sweaty, swollen “Dogs” can recover in a pair light pair of whatever on the way home

With Plantar Fasciitis you want a stiff leather boot . don't ask how I know
Having the heel higher than the ball of foot is also a plus. A sneaker type shoe or boot isn’t going to elevate the heel.
Like you, don’t ask me how I know.

I definitely agree with this advice.
I have found that TPU shank in certain Keen boots works for my plantar facitis.
Unfortunately it seems the Coburg on their site might be going away. I have been through five or six pairs.9
Bright colors, soft cushioning seem to be the industries better thing than tried and true "old school ".Probably cheaper to manufacture.

What are you doing to treat the plantar fasciitis? If you have health insurance you might be able to get some custom orthotics.
I tried 2 podiatrists to see if I could get more out of them, but they just tell me to wear supportive shoes with different insoles installed. One specifically recommended “redithotics” that she sells. One taped my foot up like an athlete and said just buy good shoes (come to find out he is a partner in a shoe store that he recommended).

Custom orthotics were not covered at all by my insurance.

Back