Furnace Run Time

This is by far the best video on this subject...Thanks for posting it...
Yeah, after seeing this video it matches exactly what I had happen by changing it. It's also eye opening after reading numerous HVAC forums how wrong people that claim to work in the HVAC field are 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: hrv
just use a thermo with a swing feature lux have this and others. start out with a swing of say four then adjust from there,the lux 700 has a stage setting for the furnace that can also be set to your needs,most every house has its comfort levels,many factors to consider.

just use a thermo with a swing feature lux have this and others. start out with a swing of say four then adjust from there,the lux 700 has a stage setting for the furnace that can also be set to your needs,most every house has its comfort levels,many factors to consider.
After monitoring three thermometers yesterday, that's what I kind of see the CPH change doing. The temp upper bound has been stretched so I have a bigger temp differential. It's just that an increase of one has an unknown value to me because I don't know the formula the thermostat runs.

Thanks I checked mine and it is on 3....so I guess that is where it is supose to be for my gas furnace..Is the CPH kind of like what the antisipator was on the old style mercury thermostat???
Antisipator was set by amperage of the gas valve in old thermocouple furnace or in a newer furnace the burner controller either written on it or wiring diagram. This was used to shut down the burner before it reached set point of thermostat getting most of the heat out of the heat exchanger so as not to overshoot the set point.

After monitoring three thermometers yesterday, that's what I kind of see the CPH change doing. The temp upper bound has been stretched so I have a bigger temp differential. It's just that an increase of one has an unknown value to me because I don't know the formula the thermostat runs.
what is your CPH set at??? What kind of furnace???

what is your CPH set at??? What kind of furnace???
Rheem 80% efficient. About 6-7 years old according to previous owners. It was set at 5. I changed it to 2. When 40ish degrees out (fairly typical November-February) was heating for about 5 minutes, then would shut down for about 12 before kicking back on for 5. But you'd hear the click on the thermostat, hear the furnace fire for about a minute, fan would kick on for about 3-4 minutes, thermostat would click off, furnace would shut down and fan would run a couple minutes, then 10-12 before repeating. Wasn't noticing any hot cold feelings, the thermometers we have in multiple rooms and I put one on top of the thermostat were all pretty equal. When it was set at 68° they° all get to about 67.8° and then kick back on at about 67.0°. The one degree from where it's set. Now at a CPH of 2, it gets up to about 68.5, still kicks on at about 67°, runs about 7-8 minutes, and turns off for about 25-28 minutes. So I'm getting about 1.75 cycles per hour or so and it's always between 67 and 68.5°. Which is fine for us for comfort and better than listening to it repeatedly ramp up 3-4 times per hour. We had a cold snap recently where cycles were about 12 minutes and that's where I said "enough of this." 3-4 per hour wasn't awful but if we're comfortable I'd prefer 1-2.

Reactions: hrv
Rheem 80% efficient. About 6-7 years old according to previous owners. It was set at 5. I changed it to 2. When 40ish degrees out (fairly typical November-February) was heating for about 5 minutes, then would shut down for about 12 before kicking back on for 5. But you'd hear the click on the thermostat, hear the furnace fire for about a minute, fan would kick on for about 3-4 minutes, thermostat would click off, furnace would shut down and fan would run a couple minutes, then 10-12 before repeating. Wasn't noticing any hot cold feelings, the thermometers we have in multiple rooms and I put one on top of the thermostat were all pretty equal. When it was set at 68° they° all get to about 67.8° and then kick back on at about 67.0°. The one degree from where it's set. Now at a CPH of 2, it gets up to about 68.5, still kicks on at about 67°, runs about 7-8 minutes, and turns off for about 25-28 minutes. So I'm getting about 1.75 cycles per hour or so and it's always between 67 and 68.5°. Which is fine for us for comfort and better than listening to it repeatedly ramp up 3-4 times per hour. We had a cold snap recently where cycles were about 12 minutes and that's where I said "enough of this." 3-4 per hour wasn't awful but if we're comfortable I'd prefer 1-2.
I might try a 2 just to see... We are in the teens for highs and single digets at night right now in Louisville..

It sounds like it may be short cycling to me. Has it always displayed this behavior? If not, I suggest that you shut off the main A.C. power switch to the furnace, let it cool off for 15 minutes, then clean the flame sensor as shown in the video below. A dirty flame sensor can cause short cycling of a gas furnace.

I saw this while working maintenance at an apartment complex. If the flame sensor gets too bad it won't stay on.

I saw this while working maintenance at an apartment complex. If the flame sensor gets too bad it won't stay on.
No, it's heating the house just fine. Too well. It's at 62 when I get home from work and kicks to 68 at 5:30. It takes about 15 minutes to raise the house temp 6 degrees 🤣

Back