Another X-20 vs X-30 Thread (sigh)

Car is Maverick hybrid. Don't see any out of country advice on oil. For sure 0W-20 is a good grade to use under normal hybrid usage, only running half the time. Not my case, thus the question. Actually I'm not asking which to use, as I have no doubt either 20 or 30 will work. The question was, does anyone have any experience with Ford when it comes to warranty items such as this?
Nobody here can answer this for you....call Ford. Prepare for "run what we say" which is of course the right answer if you are the manufacturer. Circular reference engage.

First they have to suspect the oil to be the reason for a failure. Then they have to prove that it was.
All of this is speculation though
And you will sit around and wait...and wait...and spend your money on a lawyer....and wait...

The title is somewhat misleading,; my 3rd oil change will be due in a few months. Car: Ford 2.5L hybrid, 6K miles. The manual requirement is 0W-20 with no printed exceptions. Since I live on the edge of the desert, a real cold start in the winter might be at 40° F so I'm not worried about the temps. However the majority of my driving is highway at 75-80 mph, and the real question is whether Ford will have heartburn if I use 0W or 5W-30? Oil changes at 4500-5000 miles.

Follow your manual or obtain exceptions to it in writing from the manufacturer.

For engine warranty claims, the manufacturer will almost always ask for proof of your compliance with the maintenance requirements which is generally invoices or receipts.

Car is Maverick hybrid. Don't see any out of country advice on oil. For sure 0W-20 is a good grade to use under normal hybrid usage, only running half the time. Not my case, thus the question. Actually I'm not asking which to use, as I have no doubt either 20 or 30 will work. The question was, does anyone have any experience with Ford when it comes to warranty items such as this?
They could care less if you install one grade up. The Mechanics would likely applaud you - not that they know much about oil.

They want to see that the oil and filter was changed at appropriate and specified intervals and the level was maintained at or above the add line.

This doesn't apply to nuts running 20W50 in Saskatchewan

The title is somewhat misleading,; my 3rd oil change will be due in a few months. Car: Ford 2.5L hybrid, 6K miles. The manual requirement is 0W-20 with no printed exceptions. Since I live on the edge of the desert, a real cold start in the winter might be at 40° F so I'm not worried about the temps. However the majority of my driving is highway at 75-80 mph, and the real question is whether Ford will have heartburn if I use 0W or 5W-30? Oil changes at 4500-5000 miles.
What is it you’re afraid of and so many others with this 0w20 situation that lingers on this site? Is it an auto manufactures setup that your engine won’t last or a personal thing? 0w20 has many many many hours and miles, if its what your vehicle calls for what’s deal?

Last edited:
If you want to run oil that isn't the manufacture recommended oil, my advise is to buy cars that are already depreciated out of warranty. You'll save enough money on the purchase to warranty your own maintenance needs, and don't have to fret over whether something you do violates the terms or whatever to keep a warranty in-tact.

My suggestion is to follow the superb directions in the owner's manual. In all of BITOG, I've yet to see someone blame engine damage on doing so.

If you want to run oil that isn't the manufacture recommended oil, my advise is to buy cars that are already depreciated out of warranty. You'll save enough money on the purchase to warranty your own maintenance needs, and don't have to fret over whether something you do violates the terms or whatever to keep a warranty in-tact.
Totally. It’s way cheaper in the long run to do this. Warranties are not savings, they are insurance and to a degree convenience. There’s a difference.

One definitely pays for warranties.

Every vehicle I have owned gives a recommendation on oil ie..0w20 every 10k miles, however, if you continue reading it will say that if you tow, drive in dusty conditions, or in a lot of stop and go short trip that you need to change it every 5k miles and higher viscosity my be more suited.

Im confused about the warranty being denied, when the owner manual say this, the problem is the idiots at the dealership who say ever 10k is all you need and it must be 0w20 haven’t read a owner manual either.

Every vehicle I have owned gives a recommendation on oil ie..0w20 every 10k miles, however, if you continue reading it will say that if you tow, drive in dusty conditions, or in a lot of stop and go short trip that you need to change it every 5k miles and higher viscosity my be more suited.

Im confused about the warranty being denied, when the owner manual say this, the problem is the idiots at the dealership who say ever 10k is all you need and it must be 0w20 haven’t read a owner manual either.
Because not all owner's manuals say this. Some say "must use" etc.

Driving so fast and using thick oil defeats the purpose of owning a hybrid.

Where is the AI dark mode Tigeo bingo card?

Back