Accident & Insurance Company

The car is absolutely still driveable. I will definitely keep the car & try to buy it back if it is totaled. At only 190K, it has just gotten warmed up.

doesn't take much damage these days to easily reach a couple thousand in body repairs. If it is totalled which is a good chance, see if you can buy it back if you want to keep it.

You can get the money. I have Allstate and they are very good. Not necessarily the cheapest.

Also if the car is "totaled", you can buy it back at a very deep discount and drive it if it's legal. For example if it had too much body damage to fix ... I've never done that but have a fried who has.

Be sure to do your homework and understand ALL of the ramifications before you make the decision to accept a payout settlement for a "totalled" claim if you intend to buy it back from Allstate. Once a vehicle's title has been "branded", (e.g., "rebuilt", "salvage", "flood damaged", "total loss", etc.), some insurance companies may refuse to provide further coverage or increase the premium cost significantly due to the perceived risk/liability of a vehicle with "major" damage.

To avoid this, Allstate might be willing to make you whole by cutting you a check for an amount based upon using cheaper aftermarket parts and lower body shop labor rates which will keep their payout below their threshold for totaling your vehicle. As I understand it, the threshold for a total loss can vary between ~60% - 75% of the vehicle's current Actual Cash Value (ACV is determined from some formula that Allstate uses based upon variables including: age, condition, mileage, market demand, etc.).

You should peruse this previous BITOG thread that discusses some of the "ins and outs" of your situation.

BITOG Thread on Total Loss Titles

Last edited:
Back