Absurd Gm emissions vent filter placement.

Came across this youtube short of a 21 suburban z71 having an expensive evap failure early on from poor vent filter placement. In having a 21 escalade I'm going to have the same setup and same expensive problem. I'll get under mine and check soon.

I think I'll just wrap it around with a red shop rag then zip tie it or use steel wire since I see it has cuts where it could wrap around in to grip and check it every oil change unless i get it dirty before then. What terrible place to put it at. I've driven it in the mud I think 5 or 6 times so that's worrying but I think I'll be ok. But Gm does market the z71 shown in the video as an offroading suv.

If you also have this same gen of gm suv that began in the 21 model year I'd look into covering it with a rag so it still breathes and replacing it however often you get the underside dirty. I'm not paying that much to fix it, with labor added to the $700 part cost it's likely a grand though most shops upcharge parts on the invoice.

Last edited:
Would cheese cloth be too restrictive? Just an idea of some filter media. I find it in the fabrics section at walmart.
Yeah cheese cloth should work well too. I thought of using the red shop rags which are pretty coarse. Don't wanna use anything fine and restricting. Mine looked clean enough at least.

looks like the fix would be to:

1.) shield the area such that debris cannot get into the tube, with a filter or "box" around the end of the tube
2.) relocated the tube to another spot where egress is unlikely.

Really, the entire system needs to be above the tank, IMO

looks like the fix would be to:

1.) shield the area such that debris cannot get into the tube, with a filter or "box" around the end of the tube
2.) relocated the tube to another spot where egress is unlikely.

Really, the entire system needs to be above the tank, IMO
Yeah i got the idea of using those short but wide Gatorade bottles and cutting a hole on top and cutting it length wise to get the entire box in and cut some holes in the mouth of the bottle to run some wire or zip tie to hold it in as well. I'll have to buy a bottle or two to play with. But they easily could've at least put a little plastic shielding plate to cover it.

Also thought about maybe cutting and relocating with an extension tube and something like a garden hose mender but i don't know the ID and i don't think the hose will tighten well with clamps so maybe not. Gm is being absurd.

Yeah i got the idea of using those short but wide Gatorade bottles and cutting a hole on top and cutting it length wise to get the entire box in and cut some holes in the mouth of the bottle to run some wire or zip tie to hold it in as well. I'll have to buy a bottle or two to play with. But they easily could've at least put a little plastic shielding plate to cover it.

Also thought about maybe cutting and relocating with an extension tube and something like a garden hose mender but i don't know the ID and i don't think the hose will tighten well with clamps so maybe not. Gm is being absurd.
I would not use something like a garden hose, not sure how it would react to fuel vapor and longterm automotive conditions.....

It would seem all you need (if you are going to relocate the hose termination) would be some rubber automotive hose, like fuel line, that closely matches the evap vent line.

You could also use a breather filter like this one:

to place over the tube, your local autoparts store would have this likely in stock, with perhaps some tube that you might need.

Good luck

edit:

adding this filter would be a maintenance item, meaning you might have to check this filter and clean as needed, but would be way cheaper than replacing the evap system

I would not use something like a garden hose, not sure how it would react to fuel vapor and longterm automotive conditions.....

It would seem all you need (if you are going to relocate the hose termination) would be some rubber automotive hose, like fuel line, that closely matches the evap vent line.

You could also use a breather filter like this one:

to place over the tube, your local autoparts store would have this likely in stock, with perhaps some tube that you might need.

Good luck
Yeah i didn't intend to use a garden hose but a garden hose mender which is that piece of metal that acts as a coupler to a cut tube and I'll use some fuel safe hose though i don't think that would work because the clamp will likely not tighten around the black hose because it's stiff unlike regular garden hoses. I think I'll just buy some Gatorade bottles and cut them into making them fit and shield from mud without blocking vapors.

Have you experienced EVAP issues with your other GM trucks? Which are also susceptible to the vent valve/path getting dirt & debris in it. Many GM product over the years have gotten updated parts for this issue (relocating the EVAP vent discharge/intake point)

If the vehicle isn't subjected to muddy/dusty conditions, It's a non issue.

Have you experienced EVAP issues with your other GM trucks? Which are also susceptible to the vent valve/path getting dirt & debris in it. Many GM product over the years have gotten updated parts for this issue (relocating the EVAP vent discharge/intake point)

If the vehicle isn't subjected to muddy/dusty conditions, It's a non issue.
Only once. The charcoal canister did rupture in my Yukon at about 290k but it was only one canister box by itself and nothing more. The Sierra still hasn't had a single evap system issue and those trucks get used on my small farm and drive on dirt roads and almost always have some mud. The Escalade has gotten a bit muddy but not much as I try to not get it dirty.

There was a GM factory relocation kit (and now Dorman makes one) for this covering models back to 1999. It's been a long term problem/design issue. I've replaced 3 of these on my suburban, but never the kit. Next time, I will.
OEM / Interchange Numbers: 15086429, 19152345, 19207762, 19258957
That I didn't know about, thank you for the info. I'll look into these.

I used to look at the T1's going thru our Chassis lines and wonder WTH they were thinking with that design, Engineering claimed the design was fine and was tested under all conditions and the design will last just fine. We are now seeing that was not completely the case now.

Back in the GMT900 era these things would wind up in all sorts of different places depending on wheelbase, fuel tank size, spare tire placement etc. I see nothing's improved.

Back