5W-30 + 10W-30= 7.5W -30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add to bruce381's point, with just a common observation on this forum, if separation was the case, there would be A LOT of BITOGer's that would have blown their engines apart a LONG time ago, as mixology goes on quite a bit.

Present BITOGer included!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Camu Mahubah:
The base oil of a 10w-30 is compared to a 5w-30 denser, of larger molecules, higher viscosity. However you want to say it the 10w-30 is heavier than the 5w-30 at less than operating temperatures.

This is why oil floats on water. It is less dense than water. The 5w will "float" on top of the 10w. Larger molecules sink to the bottom.

This will occur until the oil pump mixes the oil, however when the car is shut off the 10w being denser will "sink" the 5w being lighter will "float". I have tried to make this a simple as possible.
You will not have a 7.5w-30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grin.gif
that is so funny, anyway, why not yourself, mix em to find out yourself, you'll see they will mix easily and stay mixed. i've sometimes topped off 30 weight, with 5w-30, or 10w-30, or 10w-30 with 5w-30, or 10w-40 with 5w-30.

Where does it say a 5w-30 is a blend of two different base oils.

You cannot mix them and see for yourself unless your eyes see at the molecular level.

They will mix when the oil pump is pumping, in the pan the heavier base oil will be at the bottom.

Camu, respectfully, you need to run the white flag up on this one. You're absolutely incorrect. If you'd like to see for yourself, try this little science experiment. Take some standard Dex ATF, which is a fairly light weight fluid and colored red and mix it in a glass with some heavy, amber motor oil (a straight 60wt racing oil would make the point best, but I suppose a 15w-40 or 20w-50 would do as well). Mix 'em up and wait. By your theory, pretty soon you'll see red ATF sitting on top of brown motor oil. Of course, if you try this, you'll never actually see this, because these two oils will mix and never separate. They are miscible (the word I'd forgotten before
rolleyes.gif
) and will not "unmisc" (a word that has never existed before...).

EDIT: Oh yeah, the reason oil and water separate the way they do is that oil and water are NOT miscible. It's about their molecular structure. The various oils, however, are again miscible. Look it up, google it, etc, and you'll see.

Time to back away gracefully and quietly and not further associate your user name with the incorrect argument you've made.
cheers.gif

Camu, by by your argument, a bottle of vodka would separate into water at the bottom and ethanol at the top (it's a fact that ethanol is less dense than water). It's also a fact that vodka does NOT separate into its constituent parts.
What keeps the calcium from separating out of your 5w-30? What keeps the sugar from separating out of you cola? Hello? Is this thing on?

quote:

Originally posted by Camu Mahubah:
Where does it say a 5w-30 is a blend of two different base oils.

I says so I blend every day and we blend with GPII oil's of a 4 cSt and a 7 cSt viscosity.
DUH.

Also this blend is shown on all the password protected web sites that are setup by major additive suppliers for blenders like me.
DUH.

rolleyes.gif

bruce

Steady guys. Let's persuade him with the facts, not pulverize him. Perhaps after my little duel with Dan/FTM last week, I'm not one to talk.
rolleyes.gif
But hey, we may save him yet. . .
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back