Using 5w-30 instead of 5w-20

Good evening. I have been reading about motor oil on here for over a decade, but finally created an account. I think I know the answer, but would like the opinions the crowd, and see if any of you do this. I'd like to run 5w-30 in my wife's 2013 Chrysler 200 2.4, instead of the 5w-20 Chrysler calls for.

I have three vehicles. An old jeep that calls for 10w-30, an old chevy S10 that calls for 5w-30, and my wife's Chrysler that calls for 5w-20. I have been using 5w-30 in the jeep and S10 for years, because I used to live in New England and didn't want to use 10w-30 because it gets below zero quite a bit. Now I live in Tennessee but still run the 5w-30 in the jeep for convenience. Would it hurt anything to move the Chrysler to 5w-30 as well so I can run the same oil on all three vehicles? That way when I top it off, I have ample supply. It's funny because the chrysler is the newest and lowest mileage vehicle I have, but it uses a quart in 5,000 miles and I change the oil at 7,500. My older vehicles don't need anything added between changes. Perhaps if I went from 5w-20 to 5w-30 the Chrysler will stop burning the oil. I realize 1 quart in 5k miles isn't very much.

Your thoughts are appreciated. My thought is that 5w-30 would probably be fine, and the manufacturer probably went to 5w-20 to get 0.002 percent increased fuel economy by using a lighter oil

Good evening. I have been reading about motor oil on here for over a decade, but finally created an account. I think I know the answer, but would like the opinions the crowd, and see if any of you do this. I'd like to run 5w-30 in my wife's 2013 Chrysler 200 2.4, instead of the 5w-20 Chrysler calls for.

I have three vehicles. An old jeep that calls for 10w-30, an old chevy S10 that calls for 5w-30, and my wife's Chrysler that calls for 5w-20. I have been using 5w-30 in the jeep and S10 for years, because I used to live in New England and didn't want to use 10w-30 because it gets below zero quite a bit. Now I live in Tennessee but still run the 5w-30 in the jeep for convenience. Would it hurt anything to move the Chrysler to 5w-30 as well so I can run the same oil on all three vehicles? That way when I top it off, I have ample supply. It's funny because the chrysler is the newest and lowest mileage vehicle I have, but it uses a quart in 5,000 miles and I change the oil at 7,500. My older vehicles don't need anything added between changes. Perhaps if I went from 5w-20 to 5w-30 the Chrysler will stop burning the oil. I realize 1 quart in 5k miles isn't very much.

Your thoughts are appreciated. My thought is that 5w-30 would probably be fine, and the manufacturer probably went to 5w-20 to get 0.002 percent increased fuel economy by using a lighter oil

Next oil change I’ll put one Tahoe back on 5W30* and will have 3/4 of my 0W20 engines on 5W30 … 😷
*it was on 5W30 - somebody else changed it …

I too have been running 5W-30 in my engine that calls for 5W-20. Heck, I run 10W-40 in my other engine that calls for 5W-30. Slows my oil burning down some. Try it out. Worst case, it isn't going to hurt anything. Best case, you gain the convenience of a single grade for all vehicles and it slows your consumption down a little. You can always switch back.

Thank you everyone for your input. It makes me feel more confident in my decision. I didn't think it would hurt anything, but wanted the input of others. Also I thought about the Chrysler MS-6395. Chrysler "suggests" to use that oil in the owners manual. I have read in other threads on here that it's not a very stringent standard and it doesn't matter, so I won't be shopping for oil based on that. Plus the Chrysler is past warranty anyway.

For a 10yr/old vehicle, I wouldn't think twice about it. If it was under warranty and you sweat the proof of documentation, I'd run what the manufacturer recommends.

I've run my late model and new vehicles that spec 0w20 on 5w30 with no noticeable change in fuel economy, performance, startup noise and no check engine light.

My thinking is trying to help OHC timing chains last as long as possible. Will it actually do this I have no way to measure it.

Also just switched my LR4 from 0w20 (spec was "updated" from 5w20) to 5w30. Motor seems 100% the same, I feel happier knowing it's got a better additive pack to help the timing chain guides.

Would it hurt anything to move the Chrysler to 5w-30 as well so I can run the same oil on all three vehicles?
Would it hurt anything? Absolutely not. You been watching too many YouTube "oil experts"?, lol. ;)

Last edited:
The EPA highway MPG rating on my truck is 17. That’s with 0W20.

I’ve been using 5W30.

Snapped this picture yesterday at the end of 200 mile road trip just to show the impact of that higher viscosity on my MPG.
IMG_1880.jpeg

Back