4Runner Ride Quality/Experience - always so stiff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a possible 4runner to add in place of the transit connect work van. Before the van my daily driver was a F350 so I'm not too concerned about the firm ride or sucky mpg. Overall, how is the longevity of the V6 and transmission?

Originally Posted by dbias
I'm looking at a possible 4runner to add in place of the transit connect work van. Before the van my daily driver was a F350 so I'm not too concerned about the firm ride or sucky mpg. Overall, how is the longevity of the V6 and transmission?

Excellent. Blackstone's comments on my UOA indicated that they like this engine because it "wears consistently, and not much". Everything I've read online backs this up. Add that to the fact that the transmission is what they put behind V-8s a few years back and you have a stout combination.

One of the reasons I got mine was because it is in my top three of reliability and longevity across all vehicles.

Originally Posted by 02SE
So out of curiosity, what exactly makes them a dinosaur, and IF that is the case, why is it a bad thing?

Dinosaurs are not bad on BITOG.

Just every where else.

It's like the Tundra-you can buy a 12 year old (no significant updates) NEW VEHICLE.

Originally Posted by CKN
So out of curiosity, what exactly makes them a dinosaur, and IF that is the case, why is it a bad thing?

Dinosaurs are not bad on BITOG.

Just every where else.

It's like the Tundra-you can buy a 12 year old (no significant updates) NEW VEHICLE.

There actually are some significant updates for '20...

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by Amkeer
The Toyota trucks have a long break in cycle. If it is too firm of a ride for you then look elsewhere. They are built for longevity and typically take 65000 miles to go through the initial break in. Most people don't hang onto vehicles long enough to get through to 65000 miles. If you want more of a plusher ride then you are going to want something that fits that need.

First it's been a while since a laughed so hard. But believe whatever you want to believe. A tractor like ride is not done for longevity and it sure as heck will not take 65000 miles to break in.

Second, no suspension that I know of will a) take this long to break in, even if there is such thing for suspension, b) will not change from harsh to comfortable after the supposed break in period.
The only break in that I can think of is rubber components becoming a bit softer, that's it. The rest of the suspension only deteriorates as time, miles and cycles accumulate.

What is it that you don't get about the break in period? My last 3 toyota trucks that I bought I shared my experience. The ride gets better as they accumulate miles especially after 65000 miles. He was asking about a 4 Runner.

Originally Posted by edyvw
The Toyota trucks have a long break in cycle. If it is too firm of a ride for you then look elsewhere. They are built for longevity and typically take 65000 miles to go through the initial break in. Most people don't hang onto vehicles long enough to get through to 65000 miles. If you want more of a plusher ride then you are going to want something that fits that need.

First it's been a while since a laughed so hard. But believe whatever you want to believe. A tractor like ride is not done for longevity and it sure as heck will not take 65000 miles to break in.

Second, no suspension that I know of will a) take this long to break in, even if there is such thing for suspension, b) will not change from harsh to comfortable after the supposed break in period.
The only break in that I can think of is rubber components becoming a bit softer, that's it. The rest of the suspension only deteriorates as time, miles and cycles accumulate.

LOL, 65,000 miles to break in? At 65,000 miles on my Land Cruiser Prado I already had to overhaul complete front suspension (among other things).

Perhaps you need to learn how to properly maintain a vehicle. Most of the posts I read from you indicate you have problems with your vehicles.

What is it that you don't get about the break in period? My last 3 toyota trucks that I bought I shared my experience. The ride gets better as they accumulate miles especially after 65000 miles. He was asking about a 4 Runner.

I get it perfectly and there is no such thing as 65000 mile break in period.

What you're experiencing is wear and tear. I get it, you like it better once it's worn out a bit, but don't confuse this with break in.

In that part of the world, I'd also wonder if they were actual Toyota's, or chinese 'Great Wall' copies.

I'm comparing the ride of the 4 runner sold here. I'm not a fan of the 4 runner's ride at all.

Originally Posted by dave1251
In that part of the world, I'd also wonder if they were actual Toyota's, or chinese 'Great Wall' copies.

I'm comparing the ride of the 4 runner sold here. I'm not a fan of the 4 runner's ride at all.

Ok... Then I would suggest you not buy one.

The OP is happy, and that's likely all that matters to him.

The 1GR-FE 4.0L is a good engine, Change the oil at a reasonable interval! I've had to change Timing Chains on a few neglected ones.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

The 1GR-FE 4.0L is a good engine, Change the oil at a reasonable interval! I've had to change Timing Chains on a few neglected ones.

I wonder what kind of shape the timing chain in mine is in. 223K miles and it's never had anything but Mobil 1 since I did its very first oil change. Started out with 7500K OCIs, then upped to 10K, then 12K, then pulled it back to 10K after a couple of questionable UOAs (slightly high iron).

It runs so well. As does the factory A750E (Complete fluid swap twice).

Originally Posted by edyvw

LOL, 65,000 miles to break in? At 65,000 miles on my Land Cruiser Prado I already had to overhaul complete front suspension (among other things).

Perhaps you need to learn how to properly maintain a vehicle. Most of the posts I read from you indicate you have problems with your vehicles.

LOL, I did not have those problems with BMW, VW, etc. Maybe you should try something else.
You are one of those people that Toyota sells donut spare tire for $315, bcs. Toyota.

Last edited:
If you like the capability of a 4Runner but hate the ride have a test drive in a Lexus GX.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Buy a Highlander. They have a smoother ride.

Yep, bought the Highlander instead.........then a 2-door Rubicon to scratch the 4X4 itch
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back