Toyota teases the 2025 4Runner

Current gen 4Runners (TRD Premium) are still going for $53k. They're arguably one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet, which should be no surprise due to their simplicity, being made in Japan and the 4.0L. I was considering one prior to going with the ZR2.

With the new one likely a turbo 4, I suspect the current gen will still retain its incredible resale value due to it's well established reliability record.

A guy nearby was selling his 2008 FJ Cruiser for $15k that had 144k miles on it. Was in good shape. Those are actually a better value used if you could find one.

I am not enthused by what I've seen and heard. If it doesn't appeal to me, I'll keep the 5th gen.

IMG_20200611_154632.jpg

Hopefully it will be a unibody with a light-duty independent suspension front and rear, aluminum body panels, a CVT, and a hybrid turbo 4 cylinder with a thin aluminum block for weight savings. Something that will get 30 mpg highway and break down as soon as you look at it, much less take it offroad.

When my wife and I bought our 5th gen, the dealer had an FJ for ~15k less and 100k miles. 2010 or so? Those seem to hold their value quite well. It sold fairly fast.

We’ll see what the new 4R has, but my wife definitely won’t be giving hers up.

I thought about one a few years back. The interior was a bit tight but okay. My thought was the high resale value is a thing of the past for few reasons. Toyota reliability isn't what it once was. Poor mpg is hard to swallow these days and the dreaded EV market is on the rise not to mention more hybrids coming out. Am I wrong ???

I thought about one a few years back. The interior was a bit tight but okay. My thought was the high resale value is a thing of the past for few reasons. Toyota reliability isn't what it once was. Poor mpg is hard to swallow these days and the dreaded EV market is on the rise not to mention more hybrids coming out. Am I wrong ???

It's all subjective. I'm a fairly large guy, and I find it comfortable.

I was offered a newer '24 TRD ORP 4Runner, for 5k OTD with the trade of ours. That's puts it's value at nearly it's original MSRP... That's not bad. Granted it's in perfect condition, and low miles.

Fuel economy is pretty much on par for any gas mid-to-full size BOF truck or SUV I know of. So not like some hybrid unibody much lighter CUV, for sure.

I look at it this way, it gets comparable MPG to any 4Runner ever made. Including the much smaller, lighter, and less powerful 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen 4Runners. Or the comparably sized 4th gen.

It's certainly not for everyone. But everyone I know who owns one, knows exactly what it is, and loves it.

What the 6th gen will be like, remains to be seen.

Hopefully it will be a unibody with a light-duty independent suspension front and rear, aluminum body panels, a CVT, and a hybrid turbo 4 cylinder with a thin aluminum block for weight savings. Something that will get 30 mpg highway and break down as soon as you look at it, much less take it offroad.

It has been acknowledged that it will be built on the Toyota TNGA-F platform. The same platform as all other BOF Toyota vehicles.

And the wheels go round & round. They'll keep producing it until sales no longer make it profitable. It would be neat to see competing brands "Equivalents" MSRP & what the dealers are selling them for to even see if Toyota is worth their cost.

Last edited:
Fortunately I don't live near the Border, or in an Apartment complex. Most of the time thieves would have to get past a fence and/or gate, down a long driveway, and into a secure house/garage. Being a Castle Doctrine friendly State, it wouldn't be advisable for any worthless scumbag thieves...
Crime Travels.

I’m not intimate with them historically, but under the frame of my son’s 2019, there seems a lot more truck-steel under it than most everything else in its class. He gets 18 mpg if he puts an egg under his right foot. My f150 right now shows 20.4 average (supercab, stock). Admittedly, his 4R is built better than the ford.

I’m not intimate with them historically, but under the frame of my son’s 2019, there seems a lot more truck-steel under it than most everything else in its class. He gets 18 mpg if he puts an egg under his right foot. My f150 right now shows 20.4 average (supercab, stock). Admittedly, his 4R is built better than the ford.

Fuel economy can vary widely with the 4Runner, depending on where and how it's driven. I can get 17-18 MPG at 80+ mph on the highway. Or up to 24 MPG if driving very sedately on two lane lightly traveled roads at around 50 mph, on a warmer day, but not so warm that I run the AC.

20-21 MPG is pretty typical in my normal driving. I drive it easy, as it's not a sportscar.

Hopefully their 2.4T is more efficient than that 3.4TT in new Sequoia. I don’t understand how they managed to develop V6 engine that even with mild hybrid set up still falls close to that 5.7 V8 mpg. Without hybrid set up in Tundra it is really hard to see benefits over 5.7 considering added complexity.

Hopefully their 2.4T is more efficient than that 3.4TT in new Sequoia. I don’t understand how they managed to develop V6 engine that even with mild hybrid set up still falls close to that 5.7 V8 mpg. Without hybrid set up in Tundra it is really hard to see benefits over 5.7 considering added complexity.
It likely has more to do with emissions standards than MPG. CAFE is not the only driving factor.

On April 27, 2023, EPA published a proposed rule for new, more ambitious proposed standards to further reduce harmful air pollutant emissions from light-duty and medium-duty vehicles starting with model year 2027. The proposal builds upon EPA’s final standards for federal greenhouse gas emissions standards for passenger cars and light trucks for model years 2023 through 2026 and leverages advances in clean car technology to unlock benefits to Americans ranging from improving public health through reducing smog- and soot-forming pollution from vehicles, to reducing climate pollution, to saving drivers money through reduced fuel and maintenance costs. The proposed standards would phase in over model years 2027 through 2032.

I’ve always liked the 4R, but midsize SUVs fit into a weird middle ground that I don’t really have a need for. If I was looking a weekend off roader toy though an old 4R would most def be on the shortlist.

I’ll reserve any judgment until I actually see it.

It likely has more to do with emissions standards than MPG. CAFE is not the only driving factor.

On April 27, 2023, EPA published a proposed rule for new, more ambitious proposed standards to further reduce harmful air pollutant emissions from light-duty and medium-duty vehicles starting with model year 2027. The proposal builds upon EPA’s final standards for federal greenhouse gas emissions standards for passenger cars and light trucks for model years 2023 through 2026 and leverages advances in clean car technology to unlock benefits to Americans ranging from improving public health through reducing smog- and soot-forming pollution from vehicles, to reducing climate pollution, to saving drivers money through reduced fuel and maintenance costs. The proposed standards would phase in over model years 2027 through 2032.
Yeah, I know that it is emissions driven. However, Honda just released new V6 that is also compliant. Don’t get me wrong, I like turbo engines, but hopefully there will be noticeable mpg gain, and it shouldn’t be that hard to achieve considering consumption of old model.

Just another small part of the big plan for the big push to all electric.

Back