4Runner Ride Quality/Experience - always so stiff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck chasis vs car chassis is a huge difference. Highlander is car chassis and will ride very smooth in comparison. 4runner is like driving a pickup truck.

The OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires they've spec'd forever are much stiffer I run them warm weather only @ 30psi. can't wait to replace them with a LTX

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: Kage860
Would you consider the lexus gx? I test drove one and it was pretty good. I have not driven the 4runner though. The platform is supposedly similar.

The GX and the 4Runner both have underpinnings in the Land Cruiser Prado. The GX gets the Lexus 4.3 V-8 and is full time 4wd. I'd love to have a TRD Pro 4Runner with the 4.3 V-8 from the GX.

FWIW, the 1UR-FE is 4.6 liters.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Yes the ride is firm but I liken it to a h.d. pickup.

That's exactly it. They have the ride of a HD pickup such as an F250 with the width of a 1970 VW bus. Tall, long and skinny. It's not at all horrible, but it's not for everyone, as it's not a modern feeling ride.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: Kage860
Would you consider the lexus gx? I test drove one and it was pretty good. I have not driven the 4runner though. The platform is supposedly similar.

The GX and the 4Runner both have underpinnings in the Land Cruiser Prado. The GX gets the Lexus 4.3 V-8 and is full time 4wd. I'd love to have a TRD Pro 4Runner with the 4.3 V-8 from the GX.

FWIW, the 1UR-FE is 4.6 liters.

Thanks for the correction, I was working on a SC430 earlier today and had 4.3 on the brain! You're correct about the GX having a 4.6 liter! Good catch and a fantastic engine.

Own a '99 and used to own a '04 4runner until last year. Both are great vehicles for snow, rough terrain and are rock solid reliable but neither would be my choice for a long drive. It's still a truck at heart and drives like it. The trade off has always been worth it for us.

They're off-road machines. If they were any softer it would probably completely bottom out when hitting big rocks and bumps. Gotta sacrifice some softness.

I have an 03 V8 4Runner and I consider it a 4-door pickup with a permanent camper shell.

You either like them for what they are or you don't but they are well put together and reliable. If you want a forever vehicle you could do worse. They're easy to work on and parts are available everywhere. They have their faults but usually only if you expect them to be something they are not.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I know what you mean about the ride. In 1993 I chose a new Jeep Grand Cherokee V-8 over a new Forerunner V-6 for that same reason. The ride was not much better than that of my '88 Land Cruiser.

The fact you sold the 88 land cruiser for a 93 jeep makes your opinion on this matter questioned.

Thank you all for some great insight! This is why I came to BITOG with my questions.

I will be driving another few used 4Runners later this week. I think I can wrap my head around the idea of what I am driving and how much I appreciate it. After all, I lived with the older SUVs back in the day, and I'm sure the 4Runner is superior to them in most respects.

Just need to work on convincing my wife!

Originally Posted By: methusaleh
Thank you all for some great insight! This is why I came to BITOG with my questions.

I will be driving another few used 4Runners later this week. I think I can wrap my head around the idea of what I am driving and how much I appreciate it. After all, I lived with the older SUVs back in the day, and I'm sure the 4Runner is superior to them in most respects.

Maybe a new Highlander for the wife and an old used 4Runner for your off-road escapades?

I wonder how much lower you can go on tire pressure before the TPMS goes off? 32 psi isn't too hard I guess but in years past for a tire this size the recommended pressure would've been much lower. My 03 Tracker had recommended pressure of 26psi because the tire size had nearly double the load capacity at 35 psi as the vehicles weight...

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
I know what you mean about the ride. In 1993 I chose a new Jeep Grand Cherokee V-8 over a new Forerunner V-6 for that same reason. The ride was not much better than that of my '88 Land Cruiser.

The fact you sold the 88 land cruiser for a 93 jeep makes your opinion on this matter questioned.

Indeed...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I wonder how much lower you can go on tire pressure before the TPMS goes off? 32 psi isn't too hard I guess but in years past for a tire this size the recommended pressure would've been much lower. My 03 Tracker had recommended pressure of 26psi because the tire size had nearly double the load capacity at 35 psi as the vehicles weight...

My 07 Tacoma TPS system is programmable. The 4Runner's is probably the same.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser

So you own a 1993 Land Cruiser? I've had two: a 1974 and a 1988. My point had more to do with my wife disliking the ride in the 1988 LC and the 1993 Forerunner after having three back surgeries. It's all personal preference. You likely never drove a 1984-1990 Land Cruiser or you would have known what I meant.

It’s a truck, not a crossover. And that is why it has such great utility and residual value.
I am fortunate that my wife prefers trucks too.

laugh.gif
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back