2015 Nissan Xterra reliability

I clicked on one ad for a 2015 on Bookface and now I’m getting hammered with them. 4WD models seem to be for sale around $15k or so with 110-140k miles. Decent condition.

I’ve always liked the look of these. Are they similar to a Toyota 4Runner in terms of quality and reliability?

The 2008 X in my signature has 390,000 miles on it. Most reliable vehicle i have ever owned by a wide margin. Better even that the drivetrain held up, all the ancillary stuff holds up pretty well also, meaning its not perfect but its not a rattling mess either.

The early models had some issues, so if you go to Nissan sites they will tell you about SMOD and timing chains and 2 gear spider setups. ALL of those were fixed by Nissan by 2011. The 2011 Frontier in my signature - almost identical drivetrain, has 158,000 miles on it and has literally needed zero. I changed all the hoses and front wheel bearings and U joints at 100K just because -all the ones coming off actually looked fine.

One thing I will say is mine have never seen salt, and I don't think Nissan's are the best for dealing with salt, if the message boards are to be believed.

Are they similar to a Toyota 4Runner in terms of quality and reliability?
quality...uh, no. My 2010 Xterra kinda reminds me of my (previous) '00 XJ...lots and lots of plastic...easy to take care of and seems rugged, but fit and finish...eh. It is rugged, but when you shut the door...seems 'tinny' compared to a 4runner of the same period.

reliability...from my personal experience so far and form others...pretty **** close. Seems easier to work on and do maintanence. Oh, has transmission dipstick!...even though it is bolted down...but at least you can check your fluid condition and level.

Very good. They are basically a Frontier in SUV form. The 05-19 frontiers were very reliable. I think the worst thing that ever happened to some of them was the radiator would mix ATF and coolant.
Yes, that was the biggest. Quality defect with the radiator. They fixed it sometime in 2010. There was actually a class action.

Another big one was the timing chains - stampings weren't being properly inspected by the contract stamper. Again it was fixed - I think similar timing maybe a bit earlier.

A third issue fixed by 2009 was some of their smart fuse boxes would corrode. Mine never did, but again fixed with redesign.

Everything 2011 and newer all the known bugs were ironed out. Nissan did continue using cheap cam and crank sensors - again easy fix. They liked to use this plastic T joint in the heater hose - Z1 sells a metal one, etc.

Many thought Nissan should maybe have recalled some of these things. I tend to agree, but they didn't. Either way, everything other than the timing chains were an easy fix on my 2008.

I clicked on one ad for a 2015 on Bookface and now I’m getting hammered with them. 4WD models seem to be for sale around $15k or so with 110-140k miles. Decent condition.

I’ve always liked the look of these. Are they similar to a Toyota 4Runner in terms of quality and reliability?
I have a 2011.
In 6 years ownership and 70000 hard miles it was only this year that anything needed fixing (cam sensors, cats and crank sensors).

They are hard cars and give up nothing to the 'Yotas at lower prices.

I have a 2011.
In 6 years ownership and 70000 hard miles it was only this year that anything needed fixing (cam sensors, cats and crank sensors).

They are hard cars and give up nothing to the 'Yotas at lower prices.
PS: The car is not at 70,000 miles but at nearly 170,000 miles.
I did not make that clear in my orginal post.

My first car was a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder with the 4.0 V6. Similar to the Xterra, except it had IRS. It had 150k when I bought it and when I sold it had Nearly 200k. I did shocks, camshaft and crankshaft sensors, O2 sensors, Charcoal canister valve. The only work I didn’t do, was valve cover gaskets (2 times). I had no other issues with it. Trans and radiator was replaced by Nissan from previous ownership. Timing chain was original, the typical whining noise was there, but once warmed up it quieted. I miss it.

I test drove a 2015 yesterday. Zero rust. Some minor defects. All in all I was very happy with how it drove. It was at a Nissan dealer so I figured it’d be a well taken care of trade in.

Long story short, it had a recently replaced engine and it ticked when hot. I passed.

Reactions: JTK
Best vehicle I've owned. Past the milkshake of death concern and timing chain guides in 2015. All trim levels except Pro-4x lack just about every modern convenience by 2015, but reliable and fun to drive.

Best vehicle I've owned. Past the milkshake of death concern and timing chain guides in 2015. All trim levels except Pro-4x lack just about every modern convenience by 2015, but reliable and fun to drive.
Well, by today's standard, even the Pro-4x/OffRoad models are lacking...BUT that's what makes them so great...the simplicity...a visceral experience to get away from all the tech and nannies.

I found a 2017 Frontier that I’m hopefully going to look at next week if it’s still available. White 4WD. 100k miles. Literally looks like a service truck, but that’s okay.

Speaking of Xterra’s I just bought an 05’! It has almost 200k. I changed the oil, did the rear diff breather, and bypassed the radiator. No noise from the timing chain. Engine is very quiet. I’ve put almost 1,000 miles on it, love it so far. Does have leaky valve cover gaskets, also getting the front wheel hubs replaced soon. Had a 22’ Frontier previously.

Back