Magneride damping system

I am considering ordering a new 2024 Mustang convertible,, and was wondering about the MagneRide damping system,, worth it or not?? I know nothing of these things,, but would like good ride,, and was wondering if anyone has used one of these,,,
They appear to be good on the internet will be just going to the grocery store and ride around a little,,, I am 79 and the wife is78,, no track days or anything such as that. Worth the $1750 or not??

Last edited:
Saw some good reviews. Ability to switch between modes. I say go for it especially on a Mustang
I believe I will,, it should make for a good handling auto. I BELIEVE this model is a ''newer'' edition, actually,,, this is for my wife. We have had a 2022 BMW convertible that was simply annoying with the comfort,, got rid of that and now are driving a Toyota Venza LE, that we both like a lot. She is now driving a Ford Maverick, that we both also like. However--- she wants a convertible and the Mustang should fulfill that,,,

I believe I will,, it should make for a good handling auto. I BELIEVE this model is a ''newer'' edition, actually,,, this is for my wife. We have had a 2022 BMW convertible that was simply annoying with the comfort,, got rid of that and now are driving a Toyota Venza LE, that we both like a lot. She is now driving a Ford Maverick, that we both also like. However--- she wants a convertible and the Mustang should fulfill that,,,
Perhaps a demo ride?

I found this interesting.....

As opposed to traditional suspension systems, MagneRide has no mechanical valves or even small moving parts that can wear out. This system consists of four monotube dampers, one on each corner of the vehicle, a sensor set, and an ECU (electronic control unit) to maintain the system.
My VW has something like this but you select options and it isn't automatic. I do like it as you can adjust the suspension stiffness to adapt to road quality. A nice feature.

I have it on a Z51 Corvette.

In a high performance car with a conventional suspension, the car as it comes from the factory is likely to have a stiff ride to enhance handling.
With magnetic fluid shocks, the ride can be varied from soft to intermediate to track stiff from the drivers seat.

Most Z51 owners state that the magnetic ride set in "Tour" (as opposed to "Sport" and "Track" settings) is softer than the ride with Z51 cars with conventional shocks.

Of course, one potential downside is, if the shocks need to be replaced, magnetic ride shocks will likely be more expensive than conventional shocks.

Since you're older people I doubt an advanced suspension system will ever see 'full use'.
If it's just for comfort -and the cost is in your "toy box budget"- maybe.

Does the system have a track record? You sure don't want to be a beta-tester for something being developed for track use.

You don't want to end up like my fellow Volvo owners who have Nivomat suspensions.
Their breath is taken away by price and availability of replacement part costs.

If it's good, it could boost the uniqueness of the car.

I look at new stuff in the automotive world as having been rushed to market. That is not entirely negative.

If these magnetoheologicol shocks had been tested on a fleet of city busses, I'd feel more comfortable.

As above: Test drive....but that's going to be on a prepped car which is assured of working; possibly loaded to optimize the effect.

Back