2023 Subaru WRX - Factory Fill and 1st Change UOAs

Hi Folks,

2023 Subaru WRX Sport FA24DIT 6SPD Manual

I asked for fuel dilution to be done specifically by Gas Chromatography even if oil was in grade.
Lots of copper... is that normal for these? Factory fill sure was thin.

I understand other markets use different oil grades, are they installing specific grades at the Japanese factory depending on the intended market for the car? I would have thought they would just use one for factory fill, but who knows.

What would be considered lowest allowable viscosity to be considered 20 grade?

Attached are UOAs:
-Factory Fill, dropped at 1793kms
2023WRX_ENG_GAS_N02A-53340-0090_MC.jpg

-1st oil change that I ran until 8419kms - Castrol 0W-20 Synthetic SP
2023WRX_ENG_GAS_N02A-53340-0092_MC.jpg

Lots of copper... is that normal for these?
It's normal in a brand new engine. It's still breaking in so metal and silicon (from factory sealers) will be much higher.

Factory fill sure was thin.
7.27 cSt is well within 20 grade specs. Less than 6.9 would be considered out of grade.

I think it looks pretty normal for a brand new engine. All of the break-in stuff is lowering as expected in the 2nd sample and will continue to lower for about ~20k miles.

I understand other markets use different oil grades, are they installing specific grades at the Japanese factory depending on the intended market for the car? I would have thought they would just use one for factory fill, but who knows.
The JDM WRX with the FA24 also recommends 0W-20 but alllows 5W-30 and Euro 0W-30.

I presume that the factory fill would be the same for JDM and USDM.

Have you done any sampling with the Idemitsu or other in your FA24?
No, but one on PUP 0W-20 and another on Valvoline EP 0W-20. Didn’t post them, but fuel was 2.8% and 4.5% via GC.

The higher fuel was during the winter with 6 mile daily trips and occasional warming up the car while clearing ice and snow.

Regardless of which engine, the Subaru DIT’s usually show about the same amount of fuel going back to the 2.0DIT in 2014.

Last edited:
Back