2019 WRX Limited Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys, long time lurker and first time poster.

Planning on my first DIY oil change on my 2019 WRX. First oil change at approximately 3,000 miles by the dealer. I'm now at 6,000 miles and its time to change again. I'm wanting to do it myself this time around. My daily commute is all stop and go in town traffic and around 10 miles each way.

I'm planning on using a factory oil filter but haven't decided on which oil to use. 5w30 that is SN rated or ILSAC GF-5 is recommenced and I want to maintain warranty so that's what I'm targeting. Searching through the forums and it seems like something that is dexos1 Gen2 certified would be favorable to prevent LSPI? Mobil 1 Annual Protection, Rotella Gas Truck, Pennzoil Platnium, are a few of the dexox gen 2 oils I found. I plan on sticking with my 3k to 5k change interval and not annually. Am I over thinking this? Should I just stick with an Subaru approved oil which any of the above are? Any other recommendations/thoughts?

There seems to be some growing love for the Castrol oils here, specifically Edge and Magnatec.
I've used Magnatec in my application and absolutely loved the smoothness of the ride (which never happened when I tried M1 oils multiple times)

welcome2.gif

Brand doesn't matter. If you stick to a GF5 oil, they generally all perform similarly in a WRX meaning that they will likely shear to a 20 grade and/or become a 20 grade from fuel contamination. Regardless if going with 3k mile intervals or 5k mile intervals.

However, if you want an API SN oil that will stay in grade your best bet is an ACEA C3 oil like Motul X-clean or Rotella T6 5W30 Multi Vehicle. These oils are not GF5 so they have a better High Temp High Shear than GF5 oils so they typically stay in grade.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ella-t6-multi-vehicle-7214-km-4500-miles

If you want to see some WRX uoa's and discussions, go to nasioc and look for the 2015+ uoa thread in the Service & Maintenance forum. The first page of that thread contains a spreadsheet and links to uoa's (although it hasn't been updated recently). There are a few in the uoa forum here as well.

19.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bluesubie
welcome2.gif

Brand doesn't matter. If you stick to a GF5 oil, they generally all perform similarly in a WRX meaning that they will likely shear to a 20 grade and/or become a 20 grade from fuel contamination. Regardless if going with 3k mile intervals or 5k mile intervals.

However, if you want an API SN oil that will stay in grade your best bet is an ACEA C3 oil like Motul X-clean or Rotella T6 5W30 Multi Vehicle. These oils are not GF5 so they have a better High Temp High Shear than GF5 oils so they typically stay in grade.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ella-t6-multi-vehicle-7214-km-4500-miles

If you want to see some WRX uoa's and discussions, go to nasioc and look for the 2015+ uoa thread in the Service & Maintenance forum. The first page of that thread contains a spreadsheet and links to uoa's (although it hasn't been updated recently). There are a few in the uoa forum here as well.

19.gif

These TGDI are very hard on oils, especially GF5, in my latest UOA (the link above), the Non-GF5 had much better results. Rotella T6 5w-30 is SN+ rated but does not have the Ressource Conserving part.

RC is only for fuel economy, so I do not know if a SN+ non-RC would satisfy for warranty purposes.

If you really want to stick to a GF5 oil, flip a coin, they will perform very similarly.

I currently have a Mobil ESP 5w-30 sample to be sent to Blackstone, but for some reason, Canada Post does not want to ship it (although they did it multiple times)....

I am a big fan of Rotella T6 5w30 Multi Vehicle in Subaru and GDI applications. Also as the Subaru OEM oil filter is a Fram product I would recommend stepping up to a Fram Tough Guard oil filter for around the same price as the OEM, the Tough Guard has a much higher flow rate and far better filtration efficiency. If you want the best spend a few more bucks and get a Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter.

welcome2.gif

Any synthetic 5w30 will be good for your WRX
smile.gif

You might like Rotella T6 5w30. A lot of Subaru people like T6

Of course, nothing wrong with any of the oils you mentioned

Originally Posted by Ignatius
I am a big fan of Rotella T6 5w30 Multi Vehicle in Subaru and GDI applications. Also as the Subaru OEM oil filter is a Fram product I would recommend stepping up to a Fram Tough Guard oil filter for around the same price as the OEM, the Tough Guard has a much higher flow rate and far better filtration efficiency. If you want the best spend a few more bucks and get a Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter.

Big fan of the Rotella T6 5w30 Multi Vehicle as well! For filter, I'd recommend the Wix 57055 or the Fram Ultra 7317. The OEM Subaru only has a nitrile ADBV and I find it flimsy (I bent one putting it on and I am not THAT strong).

Thanks for the response guys. So looking at the Rotella T6 and the Motul XClean they wouldn't satisfy the warranty specifications since they don't say "Resource Conserving". They may be a better oil for the engine and an API-SN but still need the Resource statement per the owner's manual. Looking around it seems the GF-5 certification is tied to RC portion of the API-SN. Are there any oils with API-SN RC without the GF-5 designation?

Brian

Well that's a new one where the warranty booklet states that using a non-resource conserving oil will violate the terms of the warranty. Never seen that one before.

On a serious note, grades are recommendations, and approvals, specifications and licenses are generally requirements (but not always).

Buy an OEM Subaru filter and keep the receipt. If you want to use a different filter, fine, but keep that Subaru receipt, just because ...

As for oil, I would go with a NON resource conserving 5w30, or even step up to an 0w40, like M1, which is BARELY a 40 grade, and decent in the winter.

Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 is widely available, and often on sale. Rotella T6 MV 5w30, or M1 5w30 ESP are other options as well.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Buy an OEM Subaru filter and keep the receipt. If you want to use a different filter, fine, but keep that Subaru receipt, just because ...

As for oil, I would go with a NON resource conserving 5w30, or even step up to an 0w40, like M1, which is BARELY a 40 grade, and decent in the winter.

Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 is widely available, and often on sale. Rotella T6 MV 5w30, or M1 5w30 ESP are other options as well.

The only issue I have with M1 0w-40 is that it is a high saps oil and I wouldn't recommend it in a TGDI.

Also, choosing a different grade would most likely challenge the warranty more than RC vs NON-RC.

Originally Posted by Prydain
Thanks for the response guys. So looking at the Rotella T6 and the Motul XClean they wouldn't satisfy the warranty specifications since they don't say "Resource Conserving". They may be a better oil for the engine and an API-SN but still need the Resource statement per the owner's manual. Looking around it seems the GF-5 certification is tied to RC portion of the API-SN. Are there any oils with API-SN RC without the GF-5 designation?

Brian

Nope, SN with RC is a GF5 oil

Last edited:

Brian

Yes, a Resource Conserving oil will be a GF-5 oil and the manual has been confusing since it was updated for MY2011.

It says that you need an oil with the API Donut that states Resource Conserving OR that has the Starburst symbol. Any oil that is Resource Conserving will have the Starburst. The manual also states that thicker viscosity is required in high temps although it does not define the thicker viscosity nor the high temps. although it does list 5W-40 on the temp chart. It also states that "5W-40 Conventional" is allowed for replenishment even though there is no oil marketed as a 5W-40 conventional.

In choosing an oil, you want the proper quality and viscosity, as well as one that will enhance fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine. The following table lists the recommended viscosities and applicable temperatures.

5W-30 synthetic oil is the required oil for optimum engine performance and protection.
Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable.
*: If 5W-30 synthetic oil is not available,
5W-40 conventional oil may be used if
replenishment is needed but should be
changed to 5W-30 synthetic oil at the
next oil change.

https://cdn.subarunet.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5M1905A_STIS.pdf

At least you don't have an Ascent or Outback XT that specs 0W-20.
shocked2.gif

Actually we have a 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited that the lease is up early next year. A new Outback Onyx is in our future and I'll have to deal with that.

Brian

So looking at NAISOC forums and the oil selection guide the Rotellla T6 may not be the way to go for the FA engine. So now I'm leaning towards Amsoil OE (NAISOC recommendation) or Valvoline Modern Engine (based on a couple UOAs).

According to NAISOC the Amsoil OE has some of the highest HT/HS in the API RC oils which makes it interesting to guys like me that have want to stick strictly to the owners manual recommendations,

Brian

Originally Posted by kschachn

Well that's a new one where the warranty booklet states that using a non-resource conserving oil will violate the terms of the warranty. Never seen that one before ...

That is kind of a stretch interpretation ...

[Linked Image]

So looking at NAISOC forums and the oil selection guide the Rotellla T6 may not be the way to go for the FA engine. So now I'm leaning towards Amsoil OE (NAISOC recommendation) or Valvoline Modern Engine (based on a couple UOAs).

According to NAISOC the Amsoil OE has some of the highest HT/HS in the API RC oils which makes it interesting to guys like me that have want to stick strictly to the owners manual recommendations,

Brian

Which Rotella version did you see? The 5w-40 isn't SN rated anymore maybe that's the one that isn't recommended? T6 Multi Vehicle is fairly new

Originally Posted by jbutch

Brian

Which Rotella version did you see? The 5w-40 isn't SN rated anymore maybe that's the one that isn't recommended? T6 Multi Vehicle is fairly new

Yep, the NASIOC Oil Selection Guide was written well before RT6 MV came out.

Actually, Amsoil XL has also been reformulated since then and has an HTHS of 3.3. Still very good. Also look into Ravenol which also has some very good specs.

Last edited:
So, 5w30 SYNTHETIC is required ... but, conventional COULD be used, and 5w40 conventional, which doesn't exist, is ok for top ups, and 5w40 is shown on the bar graph.

AND,

" In hot weather, oil of a higher viscosity is REQUIRED to properly lubricate the engine. "

As per the manual, you could use ANYTHING 30 grade or thicker, and be ok warranty wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back