2019 WRX Limited Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Prydain
Thanks for the response guys. So looking at the Rotella T6 and the Motul XClean they wouldn't satisfy the warranty specifications since they don't say "Resource Conserving". They may be a better oil for the engine and an API-SN but still need the Resource statement per the owner's manual. Looking around it seems the GF-5 certification is tied to RC portion of the API-SN. Are there any oils with API-SN RC without the GF-5 designation?

Brian

Rotella T6 5w30 Multi Vehicle is resource conserving per the API website. This has been discussed ad nauseam on BITOG.

So looking at NAISOC forums and the oil selection guide the Rotellla T6 may not be the way to go for the FA engine. So now I'm leaning towards Amsoil OE (NAISOC recommendation) or Valvoline Modern Engine (based on a couple UOAs).

According to NAISOC the Amsoil OE has some of the highest HT/HS in the API RC oils which makes it interesting to guys like me that have want to stick strictly to the owners manual recommendations,

Brian

NABISCO is referring to Rotella T6 5w40 HDEO, someone on BITOG has a UOA from a late model Forester XT with the FA2.O TGDI engine and had excellent results using Rotella T6 5w30 Multi Vehicle.

RT6 MV is not Resource Conserving.

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/pro...cle-5w-30-full-synthetic-heavy-duty.html

API CK-4,API SN, ACEA E6, JASO DH-2, CumminsCES20086,VolvoVDS-4.5,MACK EOS-4.5, DDC DFS 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3,
MB- Approval 228.51

Or are you referring to better fuel economy vs the formal designation?

I would still run it in a WRX, personally. Especially with the language in the owner's manual. And there are dealers that offer non GF5 X-clean as their premium offering, especially in Canada.

Last edited:
I must correct what I stated in my last post, Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5w30 is not resource conserving but it is SN Plus per API's website. The resource conserving label is minutiae for nitpickers. M1 0w40 is not SN Plus or resource conserving yet it meets/exceeds some of the industry's highest standards like MB 229.5. It's not worth it to be paranoid about labels.

Here is the Forester XT UOA: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...i-vehicle-7214-km-4500-miles#Post5156430

Quaker State Ultimate Durability (QSUD} will fit the bill. It's on the thicker side of a 5w30 yet it's RC and it's easy to find anywhere. Check it out.

Subie owner here, 5k is definitely recommended for stop and go. They run rich as it is, coupled with turbo heat cycle extremes in the cooler months, oil can take a beating. I'd go with supertech 5w30 synthetic or 0w-30 Mobil 1 afe. I used the AFE in a Chevy Cruze for a 6k mile oci, it didn't burn any more or less and started a hair smoother on cold mornings.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Get this, call it a day:

Or this:
Castrol Edge 5W30 C3

in Wal Mart.

How good is that oil? I tried searching up threads of people using that and couldn't find much or any.

Wondering how that castrol dexos 2 approved oil compares to the motul EFE 5w30 that's also dexos 2.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by metroplex
Why not Amsoil SS?

It doesn't carry any certifications and the OP mentioned API SN/ILSAC GF-5.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
Get this, call it a day:

Or this:
Castrol Edge 5W30 C3

in Wal Mart.

How good is that oil? I tried searching up threads of people using that and couldn't find much or any.

Wondering how that castrol dexos 2 approved oil compares to the motul EFE 5w30 that's also dexos 2.

It meets MB 229.51, it is good. Mercedes specifications are toughest in the industry. MB 229.5 is for Full SAPS oils, MB 229.51 is for Low and Mid SAPS.
Castrol Edge 5W30 C3 is nothing special, it is not as good as Castrol Edge 0W30. I would probably give more consideration to Motul compared to Castrol C3.
Also, Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 meets MB 229.51 and it is $22 in Wal Mart for 5qt.
As for wear, toughest specification to meet is VW 504.00/507.00 which is Low SAPS oil, and comes only in 0/5W30 grade.
But, if 0W30 is allowed in that Subbie, Castrol Edge 0W30, all day, every day.

Last edited:
So I actually called one of the local Subaru dealers and asked if a 5w30 API-SN+ would be acceptable for use in the WRX and not cause any warranty issues. They said that would be fine as long as it's the proper 5w30 viscosity. They couldn't provide me any documentation saying that, purely verbal. I'm leaning towards the Rotella T6 MV. Looks like the local NAPA has it at a reasonable price.

Brian

So I actually called one of the local Subaru dealers and asked if a 5w30 API-SN+ would be acceptable for use in the WRX and not cause any warranty issues. They said that would be fine as long as it's the proper 5w30 viscosity. They couldn't provide me any documentation saying that, purely verbal. I'm leaning towards the Rotella T6 MV. Looks like the local NAPA has it at a reasonable price.

Brian

If you are in Canada or the US, they have a 7$ MIB for the T6 MV.

Get this, call it a day:

Or this:
Castrol Edge 5W30 C3

in Wal Mart.

It meets MB 229.51, it is good. Mercedes specifications are toughest in the industry. MB 229.5 is for Full SAPS oils, MB 229.51 is for Low and Mid SAPS.
Castrol Edge 5W30 C3 is nothing special, it is not as good as Castrol Edge 0W30. I would probably give more consideration to Motul compared to Castrol C3.
Also, Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 meets MB 229.51 and it is $22 in Wal Mart for 5qt.
As for wear, toughest specification to meet is VW 504.00/507.00 which is Low SAPS oil, and comes only in 0/5W30 grade.

Awesome post!

That's exactly the answer i was hoping to read lol. I know i'm new here but i been changing my own oil for 2 decades. Always been an oil fanatic but only now i wanna learn more and more about this. It's definitely OCD but it's fun at the same time.

But yeah even before you made your post, i had already ordered motul 5w30 EFE on amazon because the price dropped to 35 bucks per 5L jug. I checked just now and the price went back up to 41 bucks. So i got 2 5L jugs just in time.

This is for a corvette btw, not a subie.

Get this, call it a day:

Or this:
Castrol Edge 5W30 C3

in Wal Mart.

Awesome post!

That's exactly the answer i was hoping to read lol. I know i'm new here but i been changing my own oil for 2 decades. Always been an oil fanatic but only now i wanna learn more and more about this. It's definitely OCD but it's fun at the same time.

But yeah even before you made your post, i had already ordered motul 5w30 EFE on amazon because the price dropped to 35 bucks per 5L jug. I checked just now and the price went back up to 41 bucks. So i got 2 5L jugs just in time.

This is for a corvette btw, not a subie.

EFE has new MB 229.52 specifications which is very similar to 229.51, just bit more stringent on oxidation.

EFE has new MB 229.52 specifications which is very similar to 229.51, just bit more stringent on oxidation.

So if you had to make the choice for a dexos 2 oil between the castrol C3 or the EFE, you would go EFE then right?

I already got the oil today btw lol. Just gotta go buy my filter so i can do the change this weekend.

Last edited:
Any full synthetic 5w30 would be fine. Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Shell Truck SUV, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge.

I don't think you need an ACEA A3 rated oil (>3.5 HT/HS) oil in a new engine. I'd go with the aforementioned oils for now.

However, I don't spend that much time on the Subaru forums to get a sense of what is ideal in this engine.

If shear stability is the issue, I have to give the nod to Castrol EDGE as they claim 3x the shear stability in the Kurt Orbahn test (shear stability test) over the competitor brands.

So if you had to make the choice for a dexos 2 oil between the castrol C3 or the EFE, you would go EFE then right?

I already got the oil today btw lol. Just gotta go buy my filter so i can do the change this weekend.

EFE for sure.

Originally Posted by buster
Any full synthetic 5w30 would be fine. Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Shell Truck SUV, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge.

I don't think you need an ACEA A3 rated oil (>3.5 HT/HS) oil in a new engine. I'd go with the aforementioned oils for now.

However, I don't spend that much time on the Subaru forums to get a sense of what is ideal in this engine.

If shear stability is the issue, I have to give the nod to Castrol EDGE as they claim 3x the shear stability in the Kurt Orbahn test (shear stability test) over the competitor brands.

I guess the unknown is does an oil with the operational viscosity of a 20 grade protect sufficiently in a turbocharged Subaru in all conditions that a WRX owner will see? Subaru Japan allows up to 5W-40 in all turbo Subaru's. High SAPS Euro 0W-30's are also popular based on posts I've seen from owners in Japan (on the Forester board and BRZ board). Even if there is very little shear most DIT Subaru's dump a bit of fuel into the oil with anywhere from 2-5% being the norm.

Yeah, I know, just run what Subaru of America recommends since they provide the warranty. But that answer is boring.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by bluesubie
Originally Posted by buster

I guess the unknown is does an oil with the operational viscosity of a 20 grade protect sufficiently in a turbocharged Subaru in all conditions that a WRX owner will see? Subaru Japan allows up to 5W-40 in all turbo Subaru's. High SAPS Euro 0W-30's are also popular based on posts I've seen from owners in Japan (on the Forester board and BRZ board). Even if there is very little shear most DIT Subaru's dump a bit of fuel into the oil with anywhere from 2-5% being the norm.

Yeah, I know, just run what Subaru of America recommends since they provide the warranty. But that answer is boring.
grin2.gif

So Subaru Japan allows up to a 40 grade? Would you be voiding the warranty if you ran a 30 or 40 grade?

bluesubie I know you follow Subaru and UOA's closely so I trust your opinions. Based on what you said, I think I would run a an ACEA A3 rated oil to start. At the very least a 5w30 synthetic. A high quality PAO/V 0w20 like Mobil 1 EP/AP 0w20 may do just as well though due to a lack of VII's.
21.gif

A stout 0w30 like EDGE wouldn't be bad either. Shell Truck/SUV as well......so many options so little time LOL.

The problem is we don't know what oils are using the higher end VII's. That leads me to prefer oils with little VII's and narrow spreads. 10w30's etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back