2019 Silverado new engine 2.7l turbo 4 cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Hmmmm... After all these years of belittling Ford for using turbocharged V6's in their trucks, GM will be the first with a 4 cylinder...

HP wise it is comparable to the Ford 2.7 (310 hp vs 325 hp for the Ford), but the torque is lower (348 ft-lbs versus 400 ft-lbs for the F150). It will be interesting to see if that difference is perceptible.

I'm sure it drives just fine with the torque coming on quickly and staying on...

I know I am pleased with the 2.7 in my F150 - I'd buy another one in a heartbeat...

True but keep in mind Ford's HP and Torque figures are acquired using PREMIUM fuel even though most owners will run 87 octane. The Chevy figures are made on 87 octane so they are more realistic to me.

Sounds to me like the engine share some stuff my 2.0 LTG. It has been good so far.

I know my thought process is illogical when it comes to a 4Cyl turbo in a truck. I like my N/A V-8 for towing.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF

True but keep in mind Ford's HP and Torque figures are acquired using PREMIUM fuel even though most owners will run 87 octane. The Chevy figures are made on 87 octane so they are more realistic to me.

Except that is not correct for the F150's. The hp and torque figures for these engines are based on 87 octane fuel, as recommended in the owners manual.

There are other Ecoboosts that have their figures based on premium fuel, and typically have an asterisk with them indicating that fact.

Here is one example: https://www.drivingline.com/articles/ecoboosted-finding-another-80-hp-in-ford-s-twin-turbo-d-27l-v6/

Just using 93 octane, they get 292hp/388 ft-lbs tq on a 2016 2.7. Stock on 87 at the crank, these are 325hp/375 ft-lbs tq...

Also of note, I monitor the Octane Adjustment Ratio (OAR) in Torque. This is part of the system monitoring the quality of fuel to prevent LSPI, etc. When running 87 octane fuels, it sits right around 0. (This ranges from 1 (bad) to -1 (Good stuff). Running right around zero means its finding the fuel octane is pretty much as was designed for.

The highest I've seen the OAR was -0.8 - which was actually on Shell 91 octane. I tried some BP 93 octane and didn't net that high...

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Sounds to me like the engine share some stuff my 2.0 LTG. It has been good so far.

I know my thought process is illogical when it comes to a 4Cyl turbo in a truck. I like my N/A V-8 for towing.

As long as gas stays relatively cheap and your not DD your truck, the NA V8 is the logical choice. For guys who drive their truck unloaded alot up here where gas is a bit more dear, and still want to tow their trailer a dozen times a year, this engine makes alot of sense. I think its really just trying to get most of the diesel performance out of a gas engine, and avoiding some of the potential diesel headaches.

Originally Posted By: E365

Turbos for the 2.7 and 3.5 EcoBoost are between $380 and $400 each, straight from the Ford dealer (AutoNation Ford/Tousely Ford). I doubt the 2.7 Chevy turbo will be past $1,000. Turbos are quite cheap nowadays.

That is pretty cheap - does that include the core?

Or does the core need to be retained and turned in for a credit down to that amount?

The benz turbo was a bunch even remanned.

UD

It will definitely be interesting. The Ecotec V6 and V8 engines they have been using in the Silverado since 2014 really seem to be holding up well...very few problems, as in next to nothing. They are far better than the first AFM LS engines. The turbo I4s in the cars have not been doing as well though...we stock all kinds of things for those because they sell like crazy. We stock pistons and rings for some models. Turbos and expensive intake manifolds for others. At any given time our shop is working on multiple I4 turbo cars with major problems..the Ecotec V6 and V8 Silverados are usually there for oil changes, and definitely not internal engine work.

I don't know...I hope they tested this out really good. It's one thing when an Enterprise Malibu takes a major dump, but screwing up pickups could really have consequences.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
It will definitely be interesting. The Ecotec V6 and V8 engines they have been using in the Silverado since 2014 really seem to be holding up well...very few problems, as in next to nothing. They are far better than the first AFM LS engines. The turbo I4s in the cars have not been doing as well though...we stock all kinds of things for those because they sell like crazy. We stock pistons and rings for some models. Turbos and expensive intake manifolds for others. At any given time our shop is working on multiple I4 turbo cars with major problems..the Ecotec V6 and V8 Silverados are usually there for oil changes, and definitely not internal engine work.

I don't know...I hope they tested this out really good. It's one thing when an Enterprise Malibu takes a major dump, but screwing up pickups could really have consequences.

I have an Ecotec3 and I agree they've been pretty problem free. The only thing I worry about with mine is intake valve deposits from the DI.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

We don't know if GM did stress test the new 2.7L engine with a test fleet or installed the new engine into the soon to be "old" truck for testing in the real world.

GM is making a big fuss out of this engine though. Let's hope they can walk the walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back