5 years in my VW Golf Sportwagen....report

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
98.6K miles/5 years today. '18 Golf Sportwagen S w/4mo and DSG purchased new in November 2018 for $19.1K before TTL. General hard driving, hundreds of launches/drag runs, 15 track days. The rest is highway commuting/general daily use. Car consistently returns 30 mpg on highway trips and runs/drives “like new” with no current issues, leaks, etc. Car can hit 140mph on the back straight at VIR. 180psi compression across all 4 cylinders.

Tuning (OE power 170hp/199 lb-ft)
  • Unitronic Stage 1 at 3K miles/Jan 2019 (242hp/273 lb-ft) - software only.
  • Unitronic IS20 at 21K miles/Oct 2019 (301 hp/310 lb-ft) - larger GTI "IS20" turbo + high-flow catted downpipe.
  • Unitronic IS38 at 47K miles/Oct 2020 (352 hp/324 lb-ft) - larger R "IS38" turbo + larger intercooler and all remaining bolt-on hardware.
  • United Motorsport Gen 5 Haldex tune - removes torque limiter to send max available torque to the r. wheels.

Warranty repairs (6yr/72K warranty):
  • HVAC recirc door motor (twice).
  • SAI combi valve + wiring harness repair…I think this was always just a loose connector not the valve itself or the wiring harness as it’s come back a few times and just unplugging/plugging in the connector fixes it.
  • Water pump/thermostat at 74K/Feb 2022. This was approved for reimbursement of $1,150 per the class action lawsuit….got my check so we’ll call that a warranty covered repair.

Repairs outside of warranty:
  • Timing chain tensioner/all the related bits on the f. of the engine at 84K/Oct 2022. It happens….no clue on this one, lightweight aluminum bolts (shop thought they were the wrong bolts?) that hold tensioner to block snapped. I drove it like that for ~6 mos. Including a trip to Helen GA/mountain runs as well as 2 drag events with probably 40 drag runs. Noise and increased aluminum in my oil analysis said something was wrong.

Maintenance:
  • 19 oil changes (doing one at 100K)
  • 3 DSG services
  • 2 Haldex services (doing one at 100K)
  • 1 bevel/r. diff services (doing one at 100K)
  • 9 plug changes

Details of my car and all the mods can be found in my golfmk7 forum build thread or my YouTube:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/do-it-all-sportwagen-street-hoon-track-drag-you-name-it-this-is-the-way.360080/

https://youtube.com/@karstgeo7290?si=-y6jzSIFUQntDCy6

20231105_115234.jpg

Interesting you swapped the turbo twice in such a short time period. Thought IS20 would be enough and then decided you were hungry for more?

Interesting you swapped the turbo twice in such a short time period. Thought IS20 would be enough and then decided you were hungry for more?
Yeah you always want more powa!

Thanks for sharing, wagons are underrated here in North America.

I'm surprised to see the tensioner issue, didn't hear a lot of timing chain related issues with the gen 3.

What's your suspension setup?

Back