Thoughts on the 2023 Nissan Rogue 1.5 variable compression engine?

What material is the block made from on these engines?

So does all that extra stuff and monkey motion, added friction etc. really translate into great fuel economy? Curious.

Well, it's probably a bit late to ask, since we already deposited a 23 Rogue SV. But what's everyone thoughts about their new VC turbo engine?

It makes a lot of power considering it's a 3-cylinder engine, yet very fuel efficient. The hydraulic engine mount noticeably did a great job isolating the 3-cyl vibrations at low speed compared to Ford Escapes. Of course the long term reliability is unknown at this point but I don't plan to keep this vehicle longer than its powertrain warranty.

During my test drive I found the engine very smooth and peppy for normal day to day driving. I'm ok with the CVT as it's just a daily driver. The fake shifts were still annoying but better than some of the others.
More parts will always equal more problems down the road.

What are they getting for real world fuel mileage?
I just spent 4 days driving a fwd Rogue rental car around the Miami area and I got 7.1 litres per 100 km or 33 mpg. This was city and highway with aircon running all the time.

I liked the vehicle; roomy for 4 adults and very comfortable seats. Lots of luggage space as well. I did notice the slightly rough idle. I also liked the automated cruise control, especially useful in heavy stop and go highway traffic.

Last edited:
5 cylinder cars have an odd idle as well. I’m not sure how VW deals with it, but Volvo allows a good bit of slop in their engine mounts to let them rattle around at idle without bothering the passenger compartment. It’s not really an issue unless you’re trying to drive it aggressively where tighter mounts would be desired.

I test drove a 3 cylinder justy once. It was rowdy but workable. Had a rental once, I believe it was maybe a Kia? Late 90s or early 2000s. Very respectable little econobox - opened the hood and it only had 3 cylinders. Pretty sure it was an early Kia? Whatever it was, the vibes were well sorted and it had the power of a gen 1 focus.

Back