Thoughts on the 2023 Nissan Rogue 1.5 variable compression engine?

Well, it's probably a bit late to ask, since we already deposited a 23 Rogue SV. But what's everyone thoughts about their new VC turbo engine?

It makes a lot of power considering it's a 3-cylinder engine, yet very fuel efficient. The hydraulic engine mount noticeably did a great job isolating the 3-cyl vibrations at low speed compared to Ford Escapes. Of course the long term reliability is unknown at this point but I don't plan to keep this vehicle longer than its powertrain warranty.

During my test drive I found the engine very smooth and peppy for normal day to day driving. I'm ok with the CVT as it's just a daily driver. The fake shifts were still annoying but better than some of the others.

That's a very insightful comment. Could you afford one if it wasn't given to you? Of course the Rogue is the third bestselling vehicle in it's segment.
Let me guess:

1. Variable Compression
2. Variable Valve Timing
3. Variable Valve Lift
4. Variable Displacement (multiple cylinder deactivation)
5. Direct Fuel Injection (intake valves filthy at 100k)
6. Three Cylinders (inherently out of balance forever)

How complicated of a car can you get?

Have the towing company's phone number on speed dial.

Last edited:
Regardless of the modern 'spin' being placed on engines, 1.5L/3 cylinder just isn't enough to push something on that size/weight level.

I didn't know about all the engine controls on the new Nissan engines. I had a 1996 Nissan hard body truck (before they called it a Frontier) that I had for 14 years before I sold it to my buddy's dad. He still has it.

The engineers are really pulling out rabbits now days. I picked up a Fiat 500 for my daughter and after the fact I read up on the 1.4 multi-air engine. Intake valves are variable but controlled by the computer with electric solenoids that are actuated hydraulically to direct the intake valves to work. If you don't start the engine every two or three days the control brick will seep out the engine oil that allows the hydraulics to function. Point is all these small engines are incredibly complicated to meet CAFE and EPA regs.

IMO Nissan has always done a good job with engines. I've owned many. The only discouraging one as of late is the VQ35DD that came out in 2017. Lots of reports of severely sludged up ones on the innerwebs.

I’m a big Nissan fan and own 2. I also agree they make pretty good engines.

Having said that, they historically haven’t been very good at standing behind quality issues. And everyone has quality issues on the first production year.

Given you’re not planning to keep it all that long I probably wouldn’t worry. Time will tell how this thing works out though.

Well, it's probably a bit late to ask, since we already deposited a 23 Rogue SV. But what's everyone thoughts about their new VC turbo engine?

It makes a lot of power considering it's a 3-cylinder engine, yet very fuel efficient. The hydraulic engine mount noticeably did a great job isolating the 3-cyl vibrations at low speed compared to Ford Escapes. Of course the long term reliability is unknown at this point but I don't plan to keep this vehicle longer than its powertrain warranty.

During my test drive I found the engine very smooth and peppy for normal day to day driving. I'm ok with the CVT as it's just a daily driver. The fake shifts were still annoying but better than some of the others.
You do realize. don't you, that you're just the Guinea pig for an extremely complicated piece of machinery with several features that no has ever seen before and that no one knows how to diagnose or repair and that no one carries parts for?

People like new and unusual things but when it comes to new cars, new engines, new transmissions, etc the first owners going to pay a steep price to be on the front of the learning curve.

Also Nissan might claim that it's going to be a very good and effective engines but the car companies have a long history of engine inovations that turn out to be complete disasters when they get out into the real world. The Chevy Vega engines are a shining example of that.

Thoughts? its new, complex and loaded with new fangled tech. Of course it’s to be disliked.

We’ll have to see how it works out for you. Good luck. :)
What vehicle isn't loaded with newfangled tech?, needed or unneeded.

Back