2019 Silverado new engine 2.7l turbo 4 cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Do I enjoy the sound of a V8 engine? Sure. Does the fact my 2.7 Ecoboost powered F150 sounds like a minivan at times feel odd? Yes. That being said, I long ago passed the point where the exhaust tone in the cabin was important to me, I'd rather enjoy quiet. And so I smile every time I drive my truck...

Fundamentally, there are groups of people who will never accept anything besides a V8 in a full size truck. To some, its about the sound. To others, its just the way it should be. This group will never understand or accept the concept of the smaller V6's or a 4 cylinder.

I'm just glad I had a choice to get what works well for me - a truck that an tow circles around my 2004 F150 with the 5.4 3V and that delivers 4.5 mpg better fuel mileage (31% better). I tolerate it not sounding like a V8, enjoy the performance, save money...

Ford's 2.7 Ecoboost is quite pleasant, smooth, powerful, unobtrusive. The 2011 3.5L Ecoboost is another story altogether. It has higher vibration than either the 2.7L or any of the V8's. Driving the 3.5L on a 1000 mile highway trip is, quite frankly, nowhere near as pleasant as my 2009 5.4L V8. It's not really just about the sound. It's about the overall experience. That includes response, smoothness, harshness, and sound. That EB is prone to lag, at just the wrong time, then rewards you with tire spin, followed by traction control. Behavior the V8 just does not have.

The difference is enough than my wife refuses to 3.5L, citing that she "just doesn't like it" . (both trucks are otherwise the same and both are SuperCrew)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: Warlord
Wouldn’t GM be better served using their 3.6 as the base engine much like Ram did with the pentastar? This just seems needlessly complicated. Plus they already have the modernized 4.3 which is a good truck engine.

To me it all seems like such a big waste of corporate resources to develop something like the 2.7. It is coming to market years after Ford's 2.7L V6 Ecoboost, and has less power and torque. And fewer cylinders. Which would you rather have making 300+ HP in your $50,000 truck, a 4 or a 6 cylinder? GM already had the High Feature V6 3.0L twin turbo as the base engine in the Cadillac CT6. 400HP, 400 ft*lbs torque. That engine, detuned to ~360 HP, would have given GM a competitive advantage over Ford in the light truck market. With the 2.7L 4, I think they're a day late and a dollar short.

2.7 Liters should be better in the I4 for cooling, packaging, durability, cost, 1 turbo vs 2, pretty much everything. This is assuming it is built very strong or at least as strong as the ford V6. Think Cummins inline 6 and 4 engines, extremely durable right? If it is built properly those larger cylinders will have tighter tolerances and longer lives than smaller cylinders.

The V6 will probably win in NVH. Personally i like the Ford body better but i think this big 4 turbo could be an incredible engine. Time will tell.

2.7L I4 will be so much easier to clean intake deposits out of when that time comes. Only one high pressure fuel rail to worry about. If this engine turns out like i think it could i hope they offer a crate engine!

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Turbo's and longevity/durablity?

I have never heard of it...except in diesels.

I did not either until I had a 2005 Subaru Legacy turbo wagon since new I recently sold with 230k and original turbo. They last.

Modem stuff is incredible at putting torque down low in RPM. This motor puts out better numbers then Recent V8’s in last decade.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
I hope this works well. To the naysayers about turbo longevity, if turbo lasts average of 200,000 miles and needs a $200 rebuild kit and 2 hours of labour to go another 200k, then most will be fine with the situation.

200k miles before a turbo rebuild, on a truck engine? 2 hours labor to rebuild? You are dreaming my friend!

I'm guessing the centrifugal pendulum absorber will be an issue down the road for many owners who put a lot of miles on them.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm guessing the centrifugal pendulum absorber will be an issue down the road for many owners who put a lot of miles on them.

I saw that and thought the exact same thing.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
That EB is prone to lag, at just the wrong time, then rewards you with tire spin, followed by traction control. Behavior the V8 just does not have.

I get that in the Colorado too...it's normally VERY predictable, but sometimes, same corner that its fine on 9 days in the fortnight, you hit it, and it's just not there. Then the wheelspin, then the diff "locks" up and off you go.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

I saw that and thought the exact same thing.

On the ZD30 Nissan/Renault engine in my last Navara and the Patrols, they have a "dual mass" flywheel that's a bit like an old harmonic dampener...when they do the clutch, they often find the flywheel stuffed due to degradation...way cheaper to mount an aftermerket solid....have heard no bad things about them breaking cranks, so looks more like an NVH issue.

Originally Posted By: dareo
2.7L I4 will be so much easier to clean intake deposits out of when that time comes. Only one high pressure fuel rail to worry about. If this engine turns out like i think it could i hope they offer a crate engine!

I'd certainly would be interested in a test drive.
It's different no doubt.
I never liked the sound of V6 American iron.

Hope auto stop can be disabled. So Im coming into town from a long freeway from Los Angles to Lake Havasu city.

Its 110 out and I come to the first set of lights outside of town - the engine shuts down long with the air conditioning compressor with it.

Turbo are really good these days but still not bullet proof - One of my mercedes sprinters had a turbo compressor wheel disintegrate at 35K miles sending metal shards right into the engine.

I dont believe this type of turbo can be " repaired" but you replace the whole thing as a unit - maybe not, but even so- 200.00 wont be the price - more like 2000.00

I think Id wait for Gen 2 before Id go for this mill.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Hope auto stop can be disabled. So Im coming into town from a long freeway from Los Angles to Lake Havasu city.

Its 110 out and I come to the first set of lights outside of town - the engine shuts down long with the air conditioning compressor with it.

It can be disabled.

“The driver-selectable system shuts off the engine at stoplights and certain other stop-and-go situations, saving fuel.” - http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/c...rado-turbo.html

Which would you rather have making 300+ HP in your $50,000 truck, a 4 or a 6 cylinder?

Who is going to spec this in a $50K truck? This is going to be the base motor replacing the 4.3 Ecotec in low spec trucks.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Which would you rather have making 300+ HP in your $50,000 truck, a 4 or a 6 cylinder?

Who is going to spec this in a $50K truck? This is going to be the base motor replacing the 4.3 Ecotec in low spec trucks.

The base engine in the cheaper Work Truck and Custom will remain the 4.3.

The 2.7 Turbo will be standard on the LT and RST.

Quote:
High Value — For customers seeking full-size truck capability and the highest level of affordability, the Work Truck (WT), Custom and Custom Trail Boss trims offer two proven engine and transmission combinations:

Standard: 4.3L V-6 with Active Fuel Management and a six-speed automatic transmission (SAE-certified at 285 hp/305 lb-ft).

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/c...-silverado.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

Turbo are really good these days but still not bullet proof - One of my mercedes sprinters had a turbo compressor wheel disintegrate at 35K miles sending metal shards right into the engine.

I dont believe this type of turbo can be " repaired" but you replace the whole thing as a unit - maybe not, but even so- 200.00 wont be the price - more like 2000.00

I think Id wait for Gen 2 before Id go for this mill.

UD

Turbos for the 2.7 and 3.5 EcoBoost are between $380 and $400 each, straight from the Ford dealer (AutoNation Ford/Tousely Ford). I doubt the 2.7 Chevy turbo will be past $1,000. Turbos are quite cheap nowadays.

Last edited:
If I had to buy a 2019 chevy with the base engine it will be the w/t with the 4.3 as much as I hate cylinder deactivation.
Or you can go turbo plus cylinder deactivation and a sliding cam. What could go wrong besides fuel diluted oil and oil consumption.

How are the pistons made for this engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back