2014 Mitsubishi Outlander?

Junk or hidden gem? A brief bit of research shows prices for these models are lower than other s of the same year and mileage. That's usually not a sign of quality, but are they an exception?

2014, with the white tail light lenses? If so, the "worst" of the line up, but still very good. AC condensor was prone to leaking due to damage where the frost sensor was installed, but that usually caused a leak within a year or 2. Rear dampers can leak, front dampers: the protective cover over the piston rod can disintegrate.

Other issues we had were specific to the diesel engines (and their use case) which I presume this isn't. I have no experience with the 2.4 or the v6 offerings.

I would not hesitate to get an outlander if I was in the market for a car of that type, but that's the least appealing model to me.

Last edited:
In my book it's in the hidden gem category, as long as it's AWD and V6.
The I4 ones are a good cheap and spacious mode of transportation, for the money. Very basic, which is what I like.
Yes, there are better options, but they come at a higher cost.

Had to check what they looked like. Here’s a screen shot.

C41FA155-FFDB-4511-B48F-24D84FF9251D.png

I have one. Bought it new in June 2015. Has another year and a half warranty left. 2014 Outlander GT. 3.0 V6, AWD. It has a 6 speed transmission, not a CVT. It has 79K miles on it. Has never been in a shop for anything. No recalls, nothing. Uses no oil, no leaks. Here's what I've done to it.

routine oil changes with 0W-20 synthetic, various brands
one new battery
front and rear brake pads
brake fluid flush
coolant change
one transmission fluid change with Mitsubishi proprietary fluid
transfer case, rear dif oil change
two sets of tires, due for third set soon

It has a tow hitch and I've towed a small trailer several times. The interior is leather and comfortable. Materials are ok, not luxury category but durable. Handles well enough and is good on long trips. The Mits gets ~26 mpg on the highway on 89 octane gas. Its been in light snow several times and the driver has manually controlled transmission options.

My only criticism is the paint is thin and failing in places on the roof. In fairness it has been outside most of its life exposed to the NC sun which is pretty intense in the summer. The Rockford radio is very good but the infotainment unit is overly complex and not well lit.

Overall a very good, reliable vehicle.

I have one. Bought it new in June 2015. Has another year and a half warranty left. 2014 Outlander GT. 3.0 V6, AWD. It has a 6 speed transmission, not a CVT. It has 79K miles on it. Has never been in a shop for anything. No recalls, nothing. Uses no oil, no leaks. Here's what I've done to it.

routine oil changes with 0W-20 synthetic, various brands
one new battery
front and rear brake pads
brake fluid flush
coolant change
one transmission fluid change with Mitsubishi proprietary fluid
transfer case, rear dif oil change
two sets of tires, due for third set soon

It has a tow hitch and I've towed a small trailer several times. The interior is leather and comfortable. Materials are ok, not luxury category but durable. Handles well enough and is good on long trips. The Mits gets ~26 mpg on the highway on 89 octane gas. Its been in light snow several times and the driver has manually controlled transmission options.

My only criticism is the paint is thin and failing in places on the roof. In fairness it has been outside most of its life exposed to the NC sun which is pretty intense in the summer. The Rockford radio is very good but the infotainment unit is overly complex and not well lit.

Overall a very good, reliable vehicle.
The 4-cyl has the CVT.

We had a 2007 with the V6 and 6speed auto (previous body style with the same V6 drivetrain). Great little car and needed nothing except regular maintenance. I see the one you are interested in has the 2.4 and CVT. I wouldn't buy anything with a CVT, especially a jatco CVT around that time.

Any budget range you care to share?

Friends owned a 2011, 2014 and 2016 (pretty sure). The '11 + '14 had the 4/CVT. The '16 was a GT with the 6/real trans. (ha-ha)
They had no complaint with the operation of the CVT; claiming no shuddering. They live in a mountainous region and I believe they were being honest.

The '11 was sold to a friend's wife at 90K and used it to commute "Cross Connecticut" aka relentlessly mountainous. It worked well.
At about 110K I dropped the CVT pan. The filter is a stainless steel screen which had caught one bit of swarf -a 2mm long piece of a fine pin- in size. The money I spent on the filter was wasted.
I used Amalie (aka Wolf's Head) CVT fluid. The old fluid was the color of dark maple syrup.

Their '14 was traded in for the '16 as they were racking up the miles.

The paddle shifters, which they loved and used to save the brakes- were only available on the GT in 2016.

Mitsubishi sure blinged-up the front ends for '23......gosh and ugly if you ask me, but it's only decoration.

Last edited:
I think that Mitsubishi has good quality in their vehicles from those who I know that own them. However Mitsubishi doesn't have a particularly high budget to work with. And this keeps them behind their direct competition and not the car company that they used to be in that area that would keep Mitsubishi in the upper end of vehicles to consider when making a purchase decision when buying a new vehicle. But use/preowned vehicles are purchased based on the condition of the vehicle for its asking price.

We had a 2007 with the V6 and 6speed auto (previous body style with the same V6 drivetrain). Great little car and needed nothing except regular maintenance. I see the one you are interested in has the 2.4 and CVT. I wouldn't buy anything with a CVT, especially a jatco CVT around that time.
I lost interest when I found out about the Jatco.

My SIL bought new in 2003, an Outlander with the 2.4L 4 cyl. She drove that little SUV for 14 or 15 yrs with rust being the only issue as the car aged.

Back