2017 Mitsubishi Outlander 3.0L V6 ?

My thought was not so much that Mits might leave the US - however that is possible - but that the 3.0 is a engine only used in two models ever, and no longer used in the US at all. So might be difficult to get OEM parts (not being imported once warranty is up on the few they did sell) and since it was not common, aftermarket might be very limited.

Not going to be a problem with a Mits 4 cylinder, but then your attached to a Jatco CVT - pre redesign - so no one should want that.

Low volume also means junkyard parts not likely either. Drop a brick on your hood by accident - good luck finding a cheap junkyard hood in the right color like you could with more popular models.

Not hating on Mits - but to save a few bucks I would pass. Buy a Honda or GM or something with a broader following.

You bring up a great point SC so thank you for that. We are only planning to keep it a couple of years until moving into something nicer so probably won’t be a problem for us as she only drives around 6-7,000 miles a year. Ideally I want to find a decent Toyota Highlander but for some reason I don’t see many in my area, might have to expand that a bit.

You bring up a great point SC so thank you for that. We are only planning to keep it a couple of years until moving into something nicer so probably won’t be a problem for us as she only drives around 6-7,000 miles a year. Ideally I want to find a decent Toyota Highlander but for some reason I don’t see many in my area, might have to expand that a bit.
Even keeping it for a couple years, in my books, would be even less reason. I you get the 4 cylinder then you could end up with a very expensive CVT repair. If you get the 3.0 you could run into a parts issue. Both will likely depreciate faster than something else. Look at prices on 10 year old Mitsubishi's for comparison. So unless your getting something dirt cheap now, will likely cost just as much for 2 years depreciation. Then of course there is the instance things change and you need to keep it longer - job loss, etc.

Used oil burning sticky ring Toyota's are apparently plated in gold. I wouldn't pay the premium for one of those either, although they are the official car of BITOG. I am not against Toyota's. I bought one new in 2019. But I am looking for something used myself currently and it seems just about any other used brand is far more price friendly - even Honda.

Obviously its your money. Just saying what I would do. Good luck either way!

Since @SC Maintenance brought up Honda, may I suggest a 2009-2015 Honda Pilot? Have been extremely happy with ours, especially after installing a VCM muzzler. I got S-VCM, $100, and positive difference is instant as far as running/power/vibrations, yet MPG is same as before. Installation took less than 5 minutes. Outside of the well known VCM issues (which are fixed in under 5 mins with S-VCM) - this Pilot is amazing. Space, comfort, price, and good capability on the AWD models. No transmission issues that the previous generation is known for. ATF drain and fill is as easy as changing oil. Biggest thing is a timing belt every 100k miles, local Honda dealer quoted $1500, and a trusted Honda&Acura shop quoted $950 with OEM parts. Basically a cent per mile, small price to pay in my book.
Also, it handles really nice for an SUV, since engine/tranny are so low in the bay. Takes corners MUCH better than 2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T, or 2006 Toyota Highlander 3.3L Hybrid, or 2012 Toyota Highlander 3.5L Hybrid, or 2010 Volvo XC70 3.2L, or 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L, or 2014 Nissan Rogue 2.5L. These are just some of the vehicles we own(ed) and have direct comparison to. But yea, Pilot "can dance" much better than its dimensions dictate.
PXL_20240111_191015132.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2.jpg

Last edited:
Personally the parts availability is a rather overblown "issue" here. That 3.0 V6 has been used for many, many years, I highly doubt the parts supply will evaporate simply because they stopped putting the V6. Rock auto, ebay, Amazon will surely have parts.
The only issue will be local stores in case you need something that day.

Also, OP is in Canada, part availability generally sucks there anyways besides dealer supply, which is priced outrageously.

Even keeping it for a couple years, in my books, would be even less reason. I you get the 4 cylinder then you could end up with a very expensive CVT repair. If you get the 3.0 you could run into a parts issue. Both will likely depreciate faster than something else. Look at prices on 10 year old Mitsubishi's for comparison. So unless your getting something dirt cheap now, will likely cost just as much for 2 years depreciation. Then of course there is the instance things change and you need to keep it longer - job loss, etc.

Used oil burning sticky ring Toyota's are apparently plated in gold. I wouldn't pay the premium for one of those either, although they are the official car of BITOG. I am not against Toyota's. I bought one new in 2019. But I am looking for something used myself currently and it seems just about any other used brand is far more price friendly - even Honda.

Obviously its your money. Just saying what I would do. Good luck either way!
Great points, I did notice that Mitsubishi cars seem to deprecate with age and especially milage much quicker than the big 3 or toyota/honda

Since @SC Maintenance brought up Honda, may I suggest a 2009-2015 Honda Pilot? Have been extremely happy with ours, especially after installing a VCM muzzler. I got S-VCM, $100, and positive difference is instant as far as running/power/vibrations, yet MPG is same as before. Installation took less than 5 minutes. Outside of the well known VCM issues (which are fixed in under 5 mins with S-VCM) - this Pilot is amazing. Space, comfort, price, and good capability on the AWD models. No transmission issues that the previous generation is known for. ATF drain and fill is as easy as changing oil. Biggest thing is a timing belt every 100k miles, local Honda dealer quoted $1500, and a trusted Honda&Acura shop quoted $950 with OEM parts. Basically a cent per mile, small price to pay in my book.
Also, it handles really nice for an SUV, since engine/tranny are so low in the bay. Takes corners MUCH better than 2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T, or 2006 Toyota Highlander 3.3L Hybrid, or 2012 Toyota Highlander 3.5L Hybrid, or 2010 Volvo XC70 3.2L, or 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L, or 2014 Nissan Rogue 2.5L. These are just some of the vehicles we own(ed) and have direct comparison to. But yea, Pilot "can dance" much better than its dimensions dictate.
View attachment 202445
Thanks for bringing this up, I’ve been open to Pilot but haven’t really been searching for one. Perhaps I’ll see what’s around and test drive one.

Personally the parts availability is a rather overblown "issue" here. That 3.0 V6 has been used for many, many years, I highly doubt the parts supply will evaporate simply because they stopped putting the V6. Rock auto, ebay, Amazon will surely have parts.
The only issue will be local stores in case you need something that day.

Also, OP is in Canada, part availability generally sucks there anyways besides dealer supply, which is priced outrageously.
Yes I get most of my parts, mostly OEM from rock auto in the US.

Yes, I can get brakes or spark plugs for a 58 Desoto. If you ever need a ECM, TCM, or other dealer only part, you might be up a creek. What are the odds - probably low. Just not sure why you would want to take the chance. Were not talking a $5K hooptie here, which would be different.

I would have no issue buying a Mits small car that was more popular and produced more broadly.

My opinion only.

A timing belt, and premium recommended, is the only real knocks I found against them. The 3rd row is for 5'ers and under.
I read on the forums that, if you tow almost anything, it pays to get 91 octane as it will get truly terrible mileage with 87.

The V-6 only comes in the 2017 Outlander with the GT trim, which also includes AWD. If that's important to you, the GT is a good buy. But Edmunds rates it below average overall and instead recommends the Kia Sorento.

I've spend years in a Hyundai/mitsubishi dealership. Considering a KIA ia a Hyundai, I could never recommend one over a Mitsubishi. Night and day difference in durability. On the Mitsubishi, over it"s lifetime, a pair of shocks and maybe lower control arms up front is what you should budget for. On a Hyundai the sky is the limit.

Back